The Student Room Group

Hospital Pre-reg applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
does anyboady know much about the interview panels?

I've heard they're made up of about 5 people and that nearby hospitals have members of the same panel so you effectively only get 1 interview.
Original post by Mubs

I've heard they're made up of about 5 people and that nearby hospitals have members of the same panel so you effectively only get 1 interview.

I have heard that is the case in the west midlands. So you apply for the four hospitals, they decide between themselves who interviews who. If you pass the interview then thats great! If you don't, you do not get any interviews from your other three chosen hospitals. So make sure that you have a community pre reg place as a back up!

Original post by Mubs

I think part of it depends what hospitals are available to interview you at the same time. Sometimes you will have hospitals that you didn't apply to sitting on your panel, so in those cases, it's like you've got an extra interview. So I guess it works both ways =P
Original post by monkeyolsen

I think part of it depends what hospitals are available to interview you at the same time. Sometimes you will have hospitals that you didn't apply to sitting on your panel, so in those cases, it's like you've got an extra interview. So I guess it works both ways =P

Original post by YogurtLover
I have heard that is the case in the west midlands. So you apply for the four hospitals, they decide between themselves who interviews who. If you pass the interview then thats great! If you don't, you do not get any interviews from your other three chosen hospitals. So make sure that you have a community pre reg place as a back up!

Some hospitals/trusts will interview together. You should be interview by the one(s) you applied to but others may be in your interview. They may ask (as I was asked last year) if you wish to be considered by the other hospitals if you are not accepted by your chosen hospital. If you have applied to 2 or more of them they may ask your preference (they may ask about your rankings (not sure if you have to rank hospitals this year) regardless). If the other hospitals are not happy with enough of their applicants (or feel you are much better) they may offer you a place. I wouldn't consider it a second interview but its close.

Any Qs just quote me or PM me and I'll try to help those who want it.
Hey guys! does anyone here know where exactly would I find which hospitals are labeled as " * hospitals" on the (pharmacytraining.nhs.uk) website. I am personally not looking to risk applying for *hospitals and rather play it safe to ensure I get a pre-reg position. So please if anyone knows about this, let me know.
Thanks
Original post by CanMpharmer
Hey guys! does anyone here know where exactly would I find which hospitals are labeled as " * hospitals" on the (pharmacytraining.nhs.uk) website. I am personally not looking to risk applying for *hospitals and rather play it safe to ensure I get a pre-reg position. So please if anyone knows about this, let me know.
Thanks

I'm not sure how you find out which hospitals are * hospitals but remember that the star (irrc) means that the hospital receives a large number of applications, this does not tell you anything about the applications/place ratio, most star hospitals have a large number of pre-reg places.
Reply 26
Original post by CanMpharmer
Thanks

Which region(s) are you thinking of applying to? The London regional page of Pharmalife gives a breakdown of number of applicants to places ratio for the last three years. http://www.pharmalife.co.uk/pagetemp/tinymce/uploaded/regional/D/documents/Applications%20data%2010-11-12%20per%20region%20London010520121335884036.pdf

As manupalace said, knowing this ratio may be more useful than than just the fact that a hospital gets a lot of applications.

When you make contact with any hospitals you are planning to apply to, you could ask them how many applicants they normally get, to help you decide.
Not a 4th year student but i'm wondering how you choose 4 hospitals out of hundreds....
(Apart from placement experiences...)
Reply 28
Original post by bb_cindy_tong
Not a 4th year student but i'm wondering how you choose 4 hospitals out of hundreds....
(Apart from placement experiences...)

From what I have seen, you normally reduced it down to looking at the hospitals in your local area or hospitals in the region where your university is based.
Original post by petzneo
From what I have seen, you normally reduced it down to looking at the hospitals in your local area or hospitals in the region where your university is based.

because i was thinking to get out of my comfort zone and live in somewhere different ... plus there are not many choices around my uni.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by bb_cindy_tong
because i was thinking to get out of my comfort zone and live in somewhere different ... plus there are not many choices around my uni.

Yep, some people did that and went to hospitals in london :smile:
Reply 31
Original post by yazzi_bay5
Anyone know any Hospitals holding Open days

THIS! Keep an eye out for each hospitals page thingy they have on pharmalife as they update it regarding open days. Its quite unannounced, low key though. Keep in contact with the pharmacy departments of your target hospitals via email, ask them about whether they will hold an open day and they should let you know when they do. Make sure to attend, because they do remember faces!
Reply 32
According to my information last date for submission of academic referee in pharmalife was 30th June ...so far no open days announced for any of the hospitals in London..
Original post by hoorriiaa
According to my information last date for submission of academic referee in pharmalife was 30th June ...so far no open days announced for any of the hospitals in London..

Have you contacted any of the ones you're interested in?
Reply 34
Not yet but I m planning to visit some nearest hospitals to find information about work experience lets c ...
i have been accepeted for ospap 2012 at aston uni. I am required to carry out the nhs pre-reg procedure atm, any help would be appreciated. i am a citizen of tanzania.
This is the first time of been on this forum for many years, but 2 years later I am starting a pre-reg in a hospital pharmacy, and a few tips for a successful application:
1) Do not apply to more than two hospitals in each region. This is because each region has different person specifications, and it is likely if u don't fit the criteria of one hospital in the region it is likely you will get rejected from the other.

2) Do not apply to more than two starred hospitals, as these are tougher to get into than other hospitals.

3) Don't lie on your application, the interview panel discuss your application in depth with you and they are trained to suss out bull****tery.

4) Do not rank all your hospitals! Each hospital knows where else you have applied and what you have ranked them. So if you rank a hospital as 3/4th they r likely to reject you. I would probably not rank any of your hospitals although some starred hospitals will probly reject you if you don't put them as first. If you are applying to a starred hospital I would recommend to put them first and the the rest unranked.

5) Don't let lack of hospital placements put you off pre-reg applications. It is not mandatory, it is more for you to decide whether you want to do a pre-reg in hospital or not.

6) After your interview keep your phone on you at all times over the next few days as the hospital usually makes their decision then.

Finally please read this attached ebook which i managed to acquire last year...quite helpful. All the best, i dont come on here often so apologies if you get a later reply, but any questions please pm me. x

http://www.sendspace.com/file/18osrw
Reply 37
Anyone have any idea about Brighton calculation test? I have already done it online as a part of admission procedure now they will take in uni as well plus two weeks program in uni ....:frown: what's all dat and what's its significance plz explain
Original post by rushhour72
This is the first time of been on this forum for many years, but 2 years later I am starting a pre-reg in a hospital pharmacy, and a few tips for a successful application:
1) Do not apply to more than two hospitals in each region. This is because each region has different person specifications, and it is likely if u don't fit the criteria of one hospital in the region it is likely you will get rejected from the other.

2) Do not apply to more than two starred hospitals, as these are tougher to get into than other hospitals.

3) Don't lie on your application, the interview panel discuss your application in depth with you and they are trained to suss out bull****tery.

4) Do not rank all your hospitals! Each hospital knows where else you have applied and what you have ranked them. So if you rank a hospital as 3/4th they r likely to reject you. I would probably not rank any of your hospitals although some starred hospitals will probly reject you if you don't put them as first. If you are applying to a starred hospital I would recommend to put them first and the the rest unranked.

5) Don't let lack of hospital placements put you off pre-reg applications. It is not mandatory, it is more for you to decide whether you want to do a pre-reg in hospital or not.

6) After your interview keep your phone on you at all times over the next few days as the hospital usually makes their decision then.

Finally please read this attached ebook which i managed to acquire last year...quite helpful. All the best, i dont come on here often so apologies if you get a later reply, but any questions please pm me. x

http://www.sendspace.com/file/18osrw

Thanks alot :smile:
Original post by hoorriiaa
Anyone have any idea about Brighton calculation test? I have already done it online as a part of admission procedure now they will take in uni as well plus two weeks program in uni ....:frown: what's all dat and what's its significance plz explain

All hospitals in KSS region need to do a calculation test. Its just after ur interview

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending