The Student Room Group

Hospital Pre-reg applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rx23
Thanks patsy, hope yours went well :smile: I found it strange... Easier than I thought it would be! Didn't need to use like any of the prep work I did for it :/ the marsden is my first choice though so really hope I did OK! How did yours go?
Also an update to my situation... Got an interview next Monday with west Sussex, but been rejected from Brighton :frown: Brighton was actually my last choice so Im not too worried, but still horrible seeing that rejection email from pharmalife :frown:!xx

Original post by patsy
Yeah exactly the same I was expecting it to be a lot harder.

Anyone else got a Newcastle interview tomorrow?

Great that you guys thought the interviews went well! I hope you guys get the places you want!
What was the interview like?
any tips on things to review? just a bit of reassurance for the rest of us who have no experience with these things haha
Reply 101
Just got rejected from Imperial. I only have GOSH left, and now I have a feeling they will say no too. Guess it has to be 2nd round for me.

But congratulations to everyone who got an interview. Well done guys! :smile:
Got my interview date, 9.30 on the 20th. Letter says the interview will last for around 20mins so it shouldnt be too bad.

That's for Nevill Hall hospital in Abergavenny by the way, so you can update the OP, doubt many people on here have applied there tho :tongue:
Reply 103
I have interviews at Derriford (Plymouth), Royal Cornwall, QA (Portsmouth) and the Isle of Wight. Works out as only two interviews because of the panels.

SW interview looks easy enough, just a 20 minute jobbie, SE is just a bit more involved :rolleyes:
Reply 104
I am just wondering where I could have gone wrong with my application for having been rejected so quickly by three of my four hospitals. Does anyone know what they don't like seeing on paper? lol
And as I know GOSH is late in replying, I am just awaiting another rejection. I am sure they will have had time to reject me before realizing that they will have to go into 2nd round as manupalace said they did last year. I mean I guess I stand a chance only if they realize that loads of the applicants they want are already taken, and thus would consider whoever is left. But I don't think that's how it works, does it? Anybody who knows? I mean they most probably have no clue who is still available or not lol

If anyone could please tell me how late GOSH replies to people I would be very thankful. And once again big big congrats to everyone who got interviews - well done you guys! :biggrin:
Reply 105
Original post by Tzoeule
I am just wondering where I could have gone wrong with my application for having been rejected so quickly by three of my four hospitals. Does anyone know what they don't like seeing on paper? lol
And as I know GOSH is late in replying, I am just awaiting another rejection. I am sure they will have had time to reject me before realizing that they will have to go into 2nd round as manupalace said they did last year. I mean I guess I stand a chance only if they realize that loads of the applicants they want are already taken, and thus would consider whoever is left. But I don't think that's how it works, does it? Anybody who knows? I mean they most probably have no clue who is still available or not lol

If anyone could please tell me how late GOSH replies to people I would be very thankful. And once again big big congrats to everyone who got interviews - well done you guys! :biggrin:

Honestly I don't think anyone knows what they look for on paper, but what I gathered from open days they look for transferable skills, personal achievement both academic and non academic, general interest, what you can bring which they get an idea from on how you set out the application. I also think question 5 of the profile questions was very important And some of the people I spoke to focused more on Q1-4 and then just repeated themselves in question 5.

Sorry I don't know when GOSH responds but don't give up not all hospitals respond the same to applications, one mans loss is another mans gain :smile:
Reply 106
Original post by monkeyolsen
Thanks!
yeah I'm doing the same thing as you, also looking at the PJ and some question banks and stuff (that book by Nadia Bukhari has a good question bank, so I'm looking through that and trying to figure out what I would say to them)
From what I know talking to people who've done both hospital placements and hospital pre-reg, they say the interview can be quite different.
Do any of you have any calculations/written/roleplay assessments, any idea what those are about?

Edit:
sorry, forgot about your last question. I did a couple school-organized placements at Conquest Hospital in Hastings (that's part of the East Sussex Hospital Trust), and I did one at BSUH, but I haven't attended any of their open days. I went to one at Barts and the London hospitals though. I've been told that all the programs are quite similar though. How about you?

I haven't heard of any role play assessment But calculations I expect, I know hillingdon has paper based assesment before the actual interview. I expect big teaching hospitals to be more focused on clinical and calculation test. I remember I went to an open day at Croydon and the pharmacist was telling me they don't ask clinical based questions during their interview because they know you build up majority of your knowledge during your pre-reg year. So every hospital is different.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Lelee
I haven't heard of any role play assessment But calculations I expect, I know hillingdon has paper based assesment before the actual interview. I expect big teaching hospitals to be more focused on clinical and calculation test. I remember I went to an open day at Croydon and the pharmacist was telling me they don't ask clinical based questions during their interview because they know you build up majority of your knowledge during your pre-reg year. So every hospital is different.

The same was the case with the Guy's and St Thomas' (GSTT) interview which last year was a shared interview process with South London, Lewisham and King's College Hospital (KCH). KCH and GSTT have joined with South London and the Maudsley this year to form the King's health partners pre-reg programme. None of these hospitals had clinical questions before so I imagine they the KHP interviews won't involve them either. It makes sense as you amass this knowledge during pre-reg, thats what pre-reg is for.

Good luck to everyone with interviews and those still waiting. Don't give up hope. No need to start talking about second round (I know I started it sorry :tongue:) until you definitely know you will need to use it.
Also with books with question banks remember that these can become out of date very quickly (I have also spoken about this with other pre regs). Use them by all means, but don't focus on them too much.
Original post by manupalace
Also with books with question banks remember that these can become out of date very quickly (I have also spoken about this with other pre regs). Use them by all means, but don't focus on them too much.

Can you think of any hot topics or current issues off the top of your head?
I visit the PJ website everyday, but nothing really stands out from the rest of the articles that I read.
I've mainly worked in community, so the things I hear most about are PCTs-->CCGs, healthy living pharmacies, etc etc, but not much that would be relevant to hospital besides new guidelines and stuff.
Cant really think of many but...

The fact that a large portion of hospital admissions are due to problems with medications many of which are avoidable. Also the cost cutting needed, so efficiency is a big thing, as is medicines wastage (you said you worked in community, do you get a lot of patients returning leftover medicines from hospitals? It tells them to on the label sometimes). Think of how pharmacy can prevent this.

One other possible topic is how pharmacists in hospital can play a role in the new NHS commissioning structure, i.e. what services can they offer in terms of advising etc.

Oh and postcode prescribing, where a patient can get one drug in one area but not in another, though this is seen in the community too (probably most relevant for community).

I haven't really read the PJ lately, tbh so can't talk about whats in there but its probably a good source of current issues. Just reflect on your hospital experience and see if you can think of anything you saw that can be linked to a hot current topic, that might impress them :confused:

Best of luck, congrats on getting 4 interviews, its a great feeling, especially if you get an early offer (i.e. before you've had all your interviews), its amazing how much it relaxes you even if one of the later ones is your first choice.
Reply 111
Original post by monkeyolsen
Great that you guys thought the interviews went well! I hope you guys get the places you want!
What was the interview like?
any tips on things to review? just a bit of reassurance for the rest of us who have no experience with these things haha

Hey, I think the marsden was quite unusual with how easy their interview was... I know when I went to their open day they stressed that unlike other hospitals they weren't going to bother with clinical questions at all. They just focussed on situational type questions... Like what would you do if a patient urgently needed some medication dispensed but you were due somewhere else.
To prepare I went through that nadia burkhari book, which helped me feel much less nervous. Also read another book by aamer safdar (I think that's spelt right), which is the same style of book as the nadia burkhari one, but it's all about what a hospital pre-reg year involves. I think the main thing is to not feel nervous and just be yourself; I think that is what they need to see more than anything. Good luck!
Reply 112
Anyone heard anything today?
No update today other than I am on the reserve list for wexham and heatherwood trust, which mean i have heard back from all four places (others being - imperial rejection, st peters and ashford trust interview and frimley park interview) has anyone else applied to these random hospitals?
Reply 114
Hey everyone,

I have an interview for south central (north-BOB) next week, anyone else? or do you know anyone who has had an interview there and know how it is and what questions to expect and what the assessments are like? Your help would be appreciated!

Anyone heard back from Kings health partners, Croydon university hosp or St George's?
Reply 115
Offer for the royal marsden !!! Accepted!
Original post by patsy

Congratz you must of really impressed them. Any chance you want to pretend to be at my interviews :P

Just to update monkeyolsen I have an interview with imperial in a weeks time proper dreading it :frown:
Reply 117
Original post by Lelee
Honestly I don't think anyone knows what they look for on paper, but what I gathered from open days they look for transferable skills, personal achievement both academic and non academic, general interest, what you can bring which they get an idea from on how you set out the application. I also think question 5 of the profile questions was very important And some of the people I spoke to focused more on Q1-4 and then just repeated themselves in question 5.

Sorry I don't know when GOSH responds but don't give up not all hospitals respond the same to applications, one mans loss is another mans gain :smile:

I guess you're right. I did speak to monkeyolsen about the application, and he really opened up my eyes to perspectives I never thought of when I was doing my application. To be honest, my app wasn't so good now that I have reviewed it, and I am no longer surprised that I have been rejected so epically lol. But you're right though, at the end of the day we don't really know what they want on paper, so all I can do is hope still as I do have GOSH left and if it doesn't work out I just will go for second round and do a better application hopefully. I am not too upset - this is life. I am really happy to see how well everyone else is doing with their apps though. :smile:

Oh and I still have NO idea when GOSH will reply - I hope it's soon lol.
Reply 118
Original post by patsy

BIG CONGRATULATIONS!!! Well done! :biggrin: :biggrin:
hey.. congratulations everyone,
I was wondering if anyone had an interview at the Royal Brompton hospital and what it was like?.. do they ask clinical questions?
I haven't been able to find much information about their interviews

thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending