The Student Room Group

We graduated 2:1 from Bath 2 years ago and haven't gotten a single job offer since...

Scroll to see replies

Herp I want to be the next freud derp.

OP you should have picked your degree more wisely.
Have you ever considered a career in recruitment? I know two companies that work UK wide looking for graduates with 2:1 or higher degree results.
Reply 182
Original post by JobHelp
My friends and I graduated from Bath in 2010 in Psychology. Most of us have 2:1s, some have 2:2s and one person I know got a first. My friends and I are in London. Some of our friends are still in Bath.

Aside from working a few temp min-wage cleaning/retail/data-entry jobs none of us have gotten decent/relevant jobs. We even have problems getting these kinds of jobs.

I have decided to post on this forum after googling and finding this thread from someone with a very similar problem: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1772590

I went to the Guardian job fair in 2010 and 11 and had my CV checked by their experts and aside from a couple minor issues my CV was good. I have lots relevant volunteer work experience. Like the other poster we also have problems with a lot of job applications in Psychology will reject you and offer you an unpaid volunteer position instead.

Is this just a common thing now that we have to accept? Or are we doing something wrong?

You clearly want a job in your field, but I think you've probably realised that it's not going to happen anytime soon. If you really want work, I'd suggest looking into retail management programs for companies such Superdrug or (gasp) McDonalds. I know there's a certain air of " LOL, i'm not working in a shop, I have a degree!" but to be honest, retail management pays quite well, is a stable job and let's be honest isn't going to be as difficult as many other jobs. With a 2:1 or a 2:2 retail management should be easy to get onto, and many big companies run direct graduate programs. Just an idea! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
I have to say that I think it's a bit odd that there's been no response from JobHelp since the day she started the thread! I'd be interested to hear what she thinks of some of the suggestions (other than the usual ones about how they should not have studied psychology!)
Reply 184
Original post by heyday
You clearly want a job in your field, but I think you've probably realised that it's not going to happen anytime soon. If you really want work, I'd suggest looking into retail management programs for companies such Superdrug or (gasp) McDonalds. I know there's a certain air of " LOL, i'm not working in a shop, I have a degree!" but to be honest, retail management pays quite well, is a stable job and let's be honest isn't going to be as difficult as many other jobs. With a 2:1 or a 2:2 retail management should be easy to get onto, and many big companies run direct graduate programs. Just an idea! :smile:

The main problem with retail management is the ludicrous hours and shifts they make you work. Not just weekends, but bank holidays and all kinds of other "crap" like that. It can be rewarding financially but you'll have to sell your soul for it.

Someone posted about his experience on the highly paid (£44k/year) Aldi management program and essentially said it was a load of ****.

To enjoy it you really have to enjoy the retail sector. I am kind of connected to that sector as a sub contractor, so I've met a lot of people in that position and spoken to them at length. Most just do it because let's face it - they won't find another job that pays anywhere near as well.

It is stable - I'm pretty sure my sister has worked for 10 years or so in the retail sector and got a constant stream of promotions. Not sure what she earns, but it's most likely a **** of a lot more than me.
Original post by JobHelp
My friends and I graduated from Bath in 2010 in Psychology. Most of us have 2:1s, some have 2:2s and one person I know got a first. My friends and I are in London. Some of our friends are still in Bath.

Aside from working a few temp min-wage cleaning/retail/data-entry jobs none of us have gotten decent/relevant jobs. We even have problems getting these kinds of jobs.

I have decided to post on this forum after googling and finding this thread from someone with a very similar problem: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1772590

I went to the Guardian job fair in 2010 and 11 and had my CV checked by their experts and aside from a couple minor issues my CV was good. I have lots relevant volunteer work experience. Like the other poster we also have problems with a lot of job applications in Psychology will reject you and offer you an unpaid volunteer position instead.

Is this just a common thing now that we have to accept? Or are we doing something wrong?

College Certification just isn't worth much any more because it's all about mone and the courses are VERY low quality and they aren't at all realistic to real life jobs and don't provide much useful, it's the same at my local college and what they do now is cater to school leavers more rather than anyone from 18 and over but the problem is they're giving school leavers level 2 certificates when the content of the courses aren't at all level 2 material... it's more like very very basic entry level 2/3 stuff, if you look at what you did at your college can you honestly say it's going to help you and is really realistic to real life jobs?, so they aren't really employing people with degrees because they know the quality is under average and not many companies will pay money to catch you up if they employ you, we're all coming to this realization that college/uni just isn't worth it past basic skills any more... and that it's better gaining experience on the job instead, it's certainly the direction i'm going, it's not 1 specific college/uni that's the issue. You might not want to hear this but i've been through a lot of messing around nobody cared to tell me what was going on but i soon figured it out when NOBODY asked to look at my certificates as proof of my qualifications and at least 2 of the couple employers i got interviewed by they were very confused about my experience and didn't seem too impressed by it so just gotta adapt to what's happening.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending