The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jblackmoustache
No i'm never going back. Full of rude skanks who deserve nothing but a smashed up and destroyed heart.

You sound extremely bitter! lol

Not every woman you message, is going to fall head over heels with you - it's a fact of life! I as a female messaged a few blokes, but got no response, but bothered? no! You need to accept that it's part of life and get on with it! Sorry to hear your experience hasn't been as successful as others, but I can assure you it takes time but does eventually pay off, trust me!

Good Luck!
Reply 41
Original post by Anonymous
I've been using OkCupid and it's the same. I've messaged a few saying "Hi how're u doing" and i got no reply. Should i persist?

Personally, when i was on OKC, I didn't reply if someone didn't spell properly. it's a pet hate of mine.
Reply 42
I don't use it anymore, but, when I did... the messages that caught my eye regardless of the sender were the ones that took the time to read what I'd said about myself; ones that opened with a quote from my favourite tv show and the ones that could spell...

Something that puts me off a lot of men is whether or not they can spell and differentiate between your and you're, too and to, their, they're and there!
Original post by Samus2
I don't use it anymore, but, when I did... the messages that caught my eye regardless of the sender were the ones that took the time to read what I'd said about myself; ones that opened with a quote from my favourite tv show and the ones that could spell...

Exactly what I have been trying to say lol
Get yourself on OkCupid. It rates people on how often they reply :smile:.
Reply 45
I don't reply often because I don't have time. I always want to reply but it leaves me tied - is it better to not reply if you're not interested than give false hope by replying in a friendly way? Personally I believe that if the online world is anything like the real world, men can deal with it if you're more straightforward about whether you're interested or not. Sometimes I do reply and say I'm not interested if they ask me for something directly.

At the same time, I've got into really wonderful conversations with people on the dating site I'm on. Sometimes these guys just stop sending messages because they've suddenly gone off me for whatever reason or they don't reply at all. I figure that since they act that way, it tends to be how dating sites roll. You want to be polite but it's difficult to discern what's polite and what will immediately indicate interest. If someone could suggest a way I could politely tell someone I'm not interested without sounding callous, then please let me know. I don't really think there is a way.

There are also men messaging me who are really creepy, needy or sexist. I don't give them the courtesy of a kind rejection because they don't deserve it frankly. If I'm annoyed enough, I tell them that they shouldn't treat a woman that way. I never reply when people say "fancy a chat?"...since I'm thinking..."Well why did you message me then?"...or if they write something like "hey how are u". I do feel awful when someone types a long message if I don't reply. The truth is I intend to get back to all of them eventually, but I know that they deserve more than an afterthought.

You may find this website interesting.
(edited 11 years ago)
That link was absolutely ridiculous and horrendous.

There's nothing more shattering or degrading to your own self worth by having to PAY to learn how to get replies from women.
Reply 47
Yeah I agree with pretty much everyone on here. Here is my take on it though -

To get girls on dating sites you need one of two things - a picture of yourself with six pack abs or a picture of yourself with a flash car. Unless you look like you live in the gym or claim that you earn serious cash you will be lucky to even get a reply!

From my experience the girls on there are usually either single mums, overweight or older women. The attractive ones act like demi-gods on there due to the masses of sad, horny losers putting them on pedestals.

For the average guy - online dating is a degrading process and should be avoided imho
Reply 48
Original post by jblackmoustache
Same here. I thought dating sites would be a good way to bring my confidence levels back up, but it just ends up making you feel worse.

The feeling when you know someone's looked at your profile and have tossed you aside is painful. The feeling when you aren't even worth a small 'thank you' response :frown:

man up!

most girls on those dating sites are ****ing wrecks! wheres your sense of self worth? is that what you are going to settle for in life?

who gives a **** if some 2/10 doesnt reply to you...cos guess what, she has 200 other losers messagng her as well.
Reply 49
Original post by int92
man up!

most girls on those dating sites are ****ing wrecks! wheres your sense of self worth? is that what you are going to settle for in life?

who gives a **** if some 2/10 doesnt reply to you...cos guess what, she has 200 other losers messagng her as well.

This!
Reply 50
Original post by dgeorge
Out of those 10, ONLY 3 had the DECENCY to reply to say that they had as much received my applications (though of course, they had no available vacancies so would put my letter on file for the next 6 months)

When I was searching for a job, all the companies that I sent the CVs to took the time to give a reply, whether via phone, e-mail or in one case, face to face. This may quite possibly be 'cos I'm a web developer...

This.

I'm female and it worked for me - making messages personal, different from the norm, you'll get a reply!

I have never sent a generic message. I always write something personal, even if it takes me half an hour to craft something because they put hardly anything on their profile.

Original post by Lucia.
...is it better to not reply if you're not interested than give false hope by replying in a friendly way?

Well, I'd rather a message was sent along the lines of "nope, not interested" than no message at all! I see what you're on about about time though!

Original post by MancBoy
From my experience the girls on there are usually either single mums, overweight or older women. The attractive ones act like demi-gods on there due to the masses of sad, horny losers putting them on pedestals.

There are people my age on there (~20), but they tend to be rather attention seeking people!
Reply 51
When I was searching for a job, all the companies that I sent the CVs to took the time to give a reply, whether via phone, e-mail or in one case, face to face. This may quite possibly be 'cos I'm a web developer...

I have never sent a generic message. I always write something personal, even if it takes me half an hour to craft something because they put hardly anything on their profile.

Well, I'd rather a message was sent along the lines of "nope, not interested" than no message at all! I see what you're on about about time though!

There are people my age on there (~20), but they tend to be rather attention seeking people!

Consider yourself extremely lucky for having had replies even from those who turned you down. That is, actually, quite rare, but I suppose it is quite possible, especially for an area that may be as valuable as a web developer.

If you PM me, I can GUARANTEE you that I can help improve your response rate, without having to lie, or change your profile pic. All you need is the right approach
The women online are usually low grade, highly deluded individuals who EXPECT to pull David Beckham. Anything less is consigned to the bin.

Contributing to this fetid belief system are the hundreds of men messaging them, most of which are just hoping to find someone who will have them. Much like real life.

Online dating is garbage, but some DO get lucky. Ocationally a woman will come to realise shes not a 10/10, shes a 4 and will align her sights accordingly. But this is rare. I'd stick to real life personally.
As a girl i find this a bit offensive.

I used a dating site a while back for a couple of weeks and ALWAYS responded to the guys who had made an effort to message me, even if they werent my type. You have to appreciate how hard it is to tell someone ''hi thanks for your mesage, but i dont think your what im looking for, but i hope you find what you are after.'' One of my friends very kindly told smeone she wasnt interestd only for him to then write a load of **** basically aimed at her on his profile.

Other times, they message back why arent i your type, i can be your type, what are you looking for etc etc, and tbh there just isnt time to reply to everyone.

Also, guys say its always them messaging, well i know for a fact that many girls will message guys first as well.

But yes, on the whole, dating sites are rubbish- if your after a quick **** theyre fine, but if your after anything serious, dont use them, unless your going for a well established paid one.
Reply 54
Every so often I toy with the idea of giving online dating a proper shot. But then I realise that:

- Even in a big city, there's only about 5 active users I'd rate above a 7 out of 10. I've genuinely seen more talent packed onto a single decker bus.

- Having messaged all the 7.5s within half an hour of joining, you're left with 2 options: 1) quit or 2) feign interest in a whole bunch of slightly below average chicks who have 'shopping, clothes and partying with my girlies' listed as their sole interests.

- Incredibly average girls still get loads of messages every day. Because there's so much competition you probably won't get anywhere with a girl unless you're way out of her league. And even then there's no guarantees.

Bottom line is you'll get better quality girls with less effort in real life.

Guys - Don't use online dating as a way of boosting confidence with women, because it'll probably do the opposite. Unless you're Brad Pitt, chances are you'll be rejected by a lot of ugly women and end up assuming you're completely unnattractive to the majority of women. Reality is half of the girls ignoring you online would be easily obtainable IRL.
Reply 55
Original post by midlandsman
Every so often I toy with the idea of giving online dating a proper shot. But then I realise that:

- Even in a big city, there's only about 5 active users I'd rate above a 7 out of 10. I've genuinely seen more talent packed onto a single decker bus.

- Having messaged all the 7.5s within half an hour of joining, you're left with 2 options: 1) quit or 2) feign interest in a whole bunch of slightly below average chicks who have 'shopping, clothes and partying with my girlies' listed as their sole interests.

- Incredibly average girls still get loads of messages every day. Because there's so much competition you probably won't get anywhere with a girl unless you're way out of her league. And even then there's no guarantees.

Bottom line is you'll get better quality girls with less effort in real life.

Guys - Don't use online dating as a way of boosting confidence with women, because it'll probably do the opposite. Unless you're Brad Pitt, chances are you'll be rejected by a lot of ugly women and end up assuming you're completely unnattractive to the majority of women. Reality is half of the girls ignoring you online would be easily obtainable IRL.

It's very much true.

pinkangelgirl, you will find most won't. If any to be honest. Are you on one?
The guys are crap on them which of course leaves a bad impression with the girls too. Real nice guys that a lot of profiles say they want, still don't get a look in.
Reply 56
Original post by Samus2

Something that puts me off a lot of men is whether or not they can spell and differentiate between your and you're, too and to, their, they're and there!

You must be a blast irl, do you correct people irl also?
Not everyone is the same.

I've used 2 lately, and have always replied to emails where the person has made an effort. I'll be honest, I haven't to the ones that just purely go along the lines of 'Hey, how are you?', just on the grounds that if you were that interested you would at least put a little more than that!

It is quite hard to write to a complete stranger that you're not interested. I had to let down a single dad and tell him that I'm too young to get involved with such a situation! It's not a nice feeling.

As for girls never emailing; I've just met someone who I emailed first of all. And it's going quite well! If you use them properly and make the most out of them then it's just a matter of time.
Reply 58
Original post by Yellow-nutshell
Not everyone is the same.

I've used 2 lately, and have always replied to emails where the person has made an effort. I'll be honest, I haven't to the ones that just purely go along the lines of 'Hey, how are you?', just on the grounds that if you were that interested you would at least put a little more than that!

It is quite hard to write to a complete stranger that you're not interested. I had to let down a single dad and tell him that I'm too young to get involved with such a situation! It's not a nice feeling.

As for girls never emailing; I've just met someone who I emailed first of all. And it's going quite well! If you use them properly and make the most out of them then it's just a matter of time.

Good on you for replying to most of your messages, but the bit in bold goes to show why online dating is such a ball breaker for guys.

In real life as a decent looking, confident bloke you can normally get a good response with an introduction like 'how's it going?' or even 'hi'. There's no need for witty lines, profound observations or anything like that. If anything you're better off without them.

But online some real graft seems to be expected - even when the girls give you peanuts to work with on their profiles. Yet at the same time if you write too much, it'll be branded try-hard or 'needy'. I just think the whole thing is a mug's game.
Original post by midlandsman
Good on you for replying to most of your messages, but the bit in bold goes to show why online dating is such a ball breaker for guys.

In real life as a decent looking, confident bloke you can normally get a good response with an introduction like 'how's it going?' or even 'hi'. There's no need for witty lines, profound observations or anything like that. If anything you're better off without them.

But online some real graft seems to be expected - even when the girls give you peanuts to work with on their profiles. Yet at the same time if you write too much, it'll be branded try-hard or 'needy'. I just think the whole thing is a mug's game.

Well, anyone who actually cares will put at least something about themselves in their profile! What's the point if you're not going to give an idea of the kind of person you are? The profiles I was interested in was those who had clearly been quite genuine and written about something they had done, or even what they wanted to do.

And I don't mean write an essay, but even if you just mention a hobby the girl has listed, her job, whatever- 'Hi, I really liked the sound of your profile- I saw you went travelling for 6 months, I bet that was an amazing experience! What was your favourite place?' That's really all it takes.

I was on it for about a week before I met someone I clicked with. So sorry, but I have to disagree!

Latest

Trending

Trending