The Student Room Group

New car - looking after it/accessorizing it.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by JO53PHS
Seriously? :tongue:

If it takes any longer than 5 minutes you're doing it wrong. Maybe 10 minutes if you have something like a Land Rover Discovery with copious amounts of plastic.

well i literally did the whole car, even some bits that didn't really need it so it would all be the same colour. there is quite alot of plastic on it. so not only the front and back bumpers but also the door handles, wing mirrors, bumper down the sides etc. also have to leave it for a bit before buffing it up so i applied some and left it applied some in a second place then went back and buffed the first bit, applied a third place then buffed the 2nd place etc. probably added to the time that i was being really slow and careful so i didn't get it on the paintwork lol.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by inksplodge
I actually prefer steering wheel covers but that's cos my hands get really clammy when I'm driving. Unfortunately I just got a Toyota Aygo and nothing seems to fit on it :frown: I hate having sweaty hands when I'm driving! It'd be ok if it was just a 10 min drive but it's 45 minutes and it feels awful.

Driving mats are a must I'd say. I still don't have any, must go on eBay to get some.

As for washing every week, do people really do this?! I haven't washed mine in a month because of the all of the rain.... or maybe I'm just lazy.

I didn't really kit my first car out, just bought some cheap seat covers cos the others were dirty. Haven't got anything in my new car except a jerry can and leads, and some baby wipes cos they always come in handy. I'm more interested in the way it runs than how it looks :-P Have it serviced every 10k miles or so just in case. I had a full service done on my first car when I got it and I;d definitely recommend it because you just don't know if there's anything wrong with it.

My hands are ok with regards to sweating, so im not going to bother with a cover but yea i got mats straight away:smile:

I've had my car for a month and I've washed it twice i need to get some mud flaps because the brake dust makes the alloys and bottom of the car dirty so quickly but also where i park in front of my house the car gets covered it pollen:s-smilie: rain water isn't really clean though remember:P

I've got baby wipes lol, always useful when i was growing up and my mum always had them so it was one of the first things on my list lol. I've got gadget stuff like a car phone charger, fm transmitter (car only has cd player) a tyre pressure gauge and stuff but like i said i just want to make it feel more like mine. I've now got got a pink mobile phone/ipod holder, pink seat belt pads and a pink aerial ball so i can find my car in a car park because i keep loosing it among the sea of other silver cars (i always forget to check where i park lol)

My dad is good with cars and has always serviced and fixed anything with the family car so he had a look over everything when we bought it but it also came with a 12 month mot and was recently serviced so everything is ok at the moment on that front:smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by lauraaaa.xo

When it comes to looking after it, i have a wash and wax shampoo but would it be a good idea to apply wax on top of this? I don't know much about wax but the car is in such a good condition i really want to keep it looking nice. Is it worth doing it for a 10 year old car though?

I own a 52 plate Ford Focus and i don't bother waxing it when i wash it, it takes much longer than it should.

Tbh unless its something thats going to improve the car all the accessories will just be a waste of money unless they improve the way the car runs or some other aspect of it (i.e. the sound system).
Reply 23
Original post by M4LLY
I own a 52 plate Ford Focus and i don't bother waxing it when i wash it, it takes much longer than it should.

Tbh unless its something thats going to improve the car all the accessories will just be a waste of money unless they improve the way the car runs or some other aspect of it (i.e. the sound system).

well i would like to get a sub and change the door speakers but that will cost quite a bit and i need to save a bit of money. obviously the accessories aren't going to improve the way the car runs but they've only cost me about £20 and if they make the car feel more like mine than just anybodies then i don't think there is anything wrong with that:smile:
Reply 24
well i would like to get a sub and change the door speakers but that will cost quite a bit and i need to save a bit of money. obviously the accessories aren't going to improve the way the car runs but they've only cost me about £20 and if they make the car feel more like mine than just anybodies then i don't think there is anything wrong with that:smile:

Seems fair. My cars a bit more personalised than that though;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2002-FORD-FOCUS-LX-BLACK-MODIFIED-OFFERS-/150808477476?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item231ce2bf24

(Just for the record thats not my car but it looks very similar and has a vvery similar spec to that).

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1952864 (<the thread from when i was buying it)
My hands are ok with regards to sweating, so im not going to bother with a cover but yea i got mats straight away:smile:

I've had my car for a month and I've washed it twice i need to get some mud flaps because the brake dust makes the alloys and bottom of the car dirty so quickly but also where i park in front of my house the car gets covered it pollen:s-smilie: rain water isn't really clean though remember:P

I've got baby wipes lol, always useful when i was growing up and my mum always had them so it was one of the first things on my list lol. I've got gadget stuff like a car phone charger, fm transmitter (car only has cd player) a tyre pressure gauge and stuff but like i said i just want to make it feel more like mine. I've now got got a pink mobile phone/ipod holder, pink seat belt pads and a pink aerial ball so i can find my car in a car park because i keep loosing it among the sea of other silver cars (i always forget to check where i park lol)

My dad is good with cars and has always serviced and fixed anything with the family car so he had a look over everything when we bought it but it also came with a 12 month mot and was recently serviced so everything is ok at the moment on that front:smile:

I bought mine from a private seller and I knew it had a few problems when I bought it, so a service was definitely on the cards! I had leaking shock absorbers, a broken suspension spring, cracked anti-roll bar bushes and a few other things. >_< That was costly and things just kept breaking lol. Partly the reason why I bought a newer car :P

Ooh yes, incar charger is a must for me. I also have a can of tyre stuff that you can fill your tyre with if there's a puncture which will you get you home, if you're like me and can't change tyres...
Reply 26

Ooh yes, incar charger is a must for me. I also have a can of tyre stuff that you can fill your tyre with if there's a puncture which will you get you home, if you're like me and can't change tyres...

Might be worth learning how to change a wheel, a punctured tyre can often be fixed but most tyre places won't even attempt to fix one that's had that goop inside. Also I assume you've got a pump as well? If not you won't be going far no matter what!
Reply 27
I bought mine from a private seller and I knew it had a few problems when I bought it, so a service was definitely on the cards! I had leaking shock absorbers, a broken suspension spring, cracked anti-roll bar bushes and a few other things. >_< That was costly and things just kept breaking lol. Partly the reason why I bought a newer car :P

Haha my dad showed me how to jack the car up and get the space saver wheel out and how to change the tyres should i need to. so i know how to do it i just can't actually unscrew the bolts because im too weak haha. my dad didn't want to have them any looser though because of safety reasons obviously so hopefully i will be with someone strong if i ever need to change a tyre!

Also as the person above said i don't know if you have a pump? i bought one and my friend and boyfriend where like there is a free pump at tesco you know, but i don't know how they think i am going to be able to get to tesco with a flat tyre!
Reply 28

Also as the person above said i don't know if you have a pump? i bought one and my friend and boyfriend where like there is a free pump at tesco you know, but i don't know how they think i am going to be able to get to tesco with a flat tyre!

Lol very true, i've got a foot pump in my boot in case i get a flat tyre but the gauge isnt very acurate so i wouldnt use it for a routine check. Also, I didnt know air was free at Tesco, I forked out a whole 50p to use one at a Texaco!!
Original post by CurlyBen
Might be worth learning how to change a wheel, a punctured tyre can often be fixed but most tyre places won't even attempt to fix one that's had that goop inside. Also I assume you've got a pump as well? If not you won't be going far no matter what!

Just after posting this we went out in my car and there was a freakin' nail in the tyre -_- lol. That's the second tyre that's gone in two weeks :frown:

But yes, got that stuff. :-P We've just had the tyre priced up, it's only an extra tenner to actually buy a new tyre than to have the other fixed!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending