You might kick yourself :wink:.

Spoiler

ohh wow, i am so dumb! thanks mate
Reply 181
Original post by Jack_Smith
Help on this question
Solomon paper D
Question 3
http://www.school-portal.co.uk/GroupDownloadFile.asp?GroupId=1152243&ResourceId=3992061
Please =D I cant do the question below which is so easy due to not doing the first part :/

The question gives you a clue as to what's needed as it states the form of the answer required. You just have to work out the missing coefficients. The fraction given is what is often termed 'top heavy', i.e. the expression on top is of a higher (or equal) order to the expression on the bottom. So you've got a cubic expression on top and a quadratic on the bottom. In order to do partial fractions, the original fraction has to be in standard or 'bottom heavy' form.

Do long division on the two expressions and create partial fractions with the remainder.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 182
Original post by arnab
ohh wow, i am so dumb! thanks mate

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt :biggrin:
Hi guys, just wondering, for the Jan 2012 C4 paper, on question 6, for part b, which asks for us to use the trapezium rule, why does the mark scheme use the height 'h' as pi/8 ?

Shouldn't the height be the highest x value minus the lowest x value, which in this case is pi/2 - 0 = pi/2

However the ms uses pi/8?

Any help would be appreciated !
Reply 184
Original post by James A
Hi guys, just wondering, for the Jan 2012 C4 paper, on question 6, for part b, which asks for us to use the trapezium rule, why does the mark scheme use the height 'h' as pi/8 ?

Shouldn't the height be the highest x value minus the lowest x value, which in this case is pi/2 - 0 = pi/2

From what I know, height = (upper limit - lower limit)/number of strips used

generally, if the table is given for you, the increase in x values is the height... for example 0 -> pi/8 -> pi/4

height = pi/4 - pi/8 = pi/8 :smile:
Original post by shahruk
From what I know, height = (upper limit - lower limit)/number of strips used

generally, if the table is given for you, the increase in x values is the height... for example 0 -> pi/8 -> pi/4

height = pi/4 - pi/8 = pi/8 :smile:

Cheers mate! :biggrin: I thought it was just highest x value - lowest x value

I would have been screwed if that was the real exam lol
Reply 186
Original post by James A
Cheers mate! :biggrin: I thought it was just highest x value - lowest x value

I would have been screwed if that was the real exam lol

dont mention it ! I was confused about that too :smile:
Original post by James A

The above poster is correct. 'h' is the difference between two x values. The other way to work this out is using (b - a)/n where b is the highest value, a is the lowest value and n is the number of strips (ie. number of x values - 1). It's much easier to forget all these formulas and just take note of the fact that it is the difference between two values.
Need a D in this paper for an A! Sorted!
Reply 189
Original post by DoctorVertigo
Need a D in this paper for an A! Sorted!

shoudn't relax just because of that though :P aim should be a 100 for at least the core units!
Original post by shahruk
shoudn't relax just because of that though :P aim should be a 100 for at least the core units!

Yeah I know I know, you sound like my parents lol. I need 90UMS in C4 for an A* :smile:
Reply 191
anyone else completing the review exercise first before hitting the past-paper? there is only about 11papers:frown::frown::frown:
Reply 192
Original post by DoctorVertigo
Yeah I know I know, you sound like my parents lol. I need 90UMS in C4 for an A* :smile:

Hope for the best lol :P i only say it because of experience, my friend's experience :/
Reply 193
Screen shot 2012-06-01 at 18.34.15.png

I understand part a), but part b)?... :s

Cheerss :smile:
any1 doing solomon papers?
Help on solomon paper K..I think they have got some sort of mix up on the ms
Solomon K Qs
3B
I got the answer ln1/6 + 1/3 whereas they are getting 1/3 - ln6 :/ help please!
http://www.school-portal.co.uk/GroupDownloadFile.asp?GroupId=1152243&ResourceId=3992068
http://www.school-portal.co.uk/GroupDownloadFile.asp?GroupId=1152243&ResourceId=3992056
Original post by StraightUpG
any1 doing solomon papers?

Yep im doing these before edexcel, so im hoping to find edexcel papers easier!
Yep im doing these before edexcel, so im hoping to find edexcel papers easier!

you gna do them all?
Original post by StraightUpG
you gna do them all?

well im on K :/ so i dont see why i cant do another one! Seriously mate do solomon papers and you would find edexcel easier! Just keep doing the solomon even thought he first paper might just put you off :/
Reply 199
Help on solomon paper K..I think they have got some sort of mix up on the ms
Solomon K Qs
3B
I got the answer ln1/6 + 1/3 whereas they are getting 1/3 - ln6 :/ help please!
http://www.school-portal.co.uk/GroupDownloadFile.asp?GroupId=1152243&ResourceId=3992068
http://www.school-portal.co.uk/GroupDownloadFile.asp?GroupId=1152243&ResourceId=3992056

Use your log rules, particularly log(ab)=log(a)log(b) log(\frac{a}{b}) = log(a) - log(b)
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending