The Student Room Group

Can anyone be happy being single and not getting regular or next to no sex?

Well what the title sys really. Is it possible for a guy even to be happy single in those circumstances because they aren't too attractive or are just too damn shy or whatever reason? (if you aren't stinking rich) I mean you get people saying it's better being single and often enough casual sex will be the main reason to back up this argument, but this assumes guys have girls throwing themselves at them on a regular basis. Doesn't happen to Mr Average

Everywhere you go at least someboys rubbing it in accidently or on purpose that they've got a girl on their arm no matter if it's a girlfriend, a club girl or a fwb or whatever. Is that all society is these days? A competition or is that what guys percieve that **** to be or is that girls as well?

What keeps your mind off the fact of being single?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
I've been single for a good 6 years, and whilst had some pointless **** here and there, I really don't find myself giving too much of a **** if I don't engage in the activity very often if at all, and no, I'm not asexual or gay, I find woman extremely attractive and thus sometimes if I'm lucky or 'egged' on by friends I might try my hand at going up to girls in bars (not clubs, I don't.. club).

Main reason I don't take part in relationships is because I find them a waste of my time.

I'm not the smoothest looking hazelnut in the woods but I'm not ugly either. And neither do coins and notes fall line my pockets.

So, in answer to your question, I am very happy being single, just enjoying the short time that I've got on this wretched hive of scum and villainy we call Earth, and if sex comes my way or not, I couldn't really give too much of a damn. Evolution gifted us with opposable thumbs for a reason.
Original post by jblackmoustache
Well what the title sys really. Is it possible for a guy even to be happy single in those circumstances because they aren't too attractive or are just too damn shy or whatever reason? (if you aren't stinking rich) I mean you get people saying it's better being single and often enough casual sex will be the main reason to back up this argument, but this assumes guys have girls throwing themselves at them on a regular basis. Doesn't happen to Mr Average

Everywhere you go at least someboys rubbing it in accidently or on purpose that they've got a girl on their arm no matter if it's a girlfriend, a club girl or a fwb or whatever. Is that all society is these days? A competition or is that what guys percieve that **** to be or is that girls as well?

What keeps your mind off the fact of being single?

Being this is my situation i would say no, you cannot be happy with just being single.
The people who generally say they are happy to be single are mostly girls who have no trouble getting sex when they want it..so there is no lack of sex..why would they worry about finding a partner when they are being sexually fulfilled.

Some guys who have fwbs and easy sex will have the same kind of attitude, they being satisfied sexually and in turn mentally too.

I havent had sex or any real female attention since around 2007-2008 and even then it werent much.
But i was satisfied mentally as i did have a gf and i was content..ever since then i have had no luck at all.

There are times i do think about it and i do get depressed, single with no girls to call for sex or anything..yeah it gets to me.

You can be happy single if you are getting some or can get some at the drop of a hat..i cant get sex if my life depended on it.

Girls have it easier..there will always be guys wanting to have sex with them..a simple phone call away.
For me i cannot do that, and it does get me down at times..facebook doesnt help either.
Reply 3
Florence Nightingale

Immanuel Kant

Isaac Newton
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by TranceEnergy1989
Being this is my situation i would say no, you cannot be happy with just being single.
The people who generally say they are happy to be single are mostly girls who have no trouble getting sex when they want it..so there is no lack of sex..why would they worry about finding a partner when they are being sexually fulfilled.

Some guys who have fwbs and easy sex will have the same kind of attitude, they being satisfied sexually and in turn mentally too.

I havent had sex or any real female attention since around 2007-2008 and even then it werent much.
But i was satisfied mentally as i did have a gf and i was content..ever since then i have had no luck at all.

There are times i do think about it and i do get depressed, single with no girls to call for sex or anything..yeah it gets to me.

You can be happy single if you are getting some or can get some at the drop of a hat..i cant get sex if my life depended on it.

Girls have it easier..there will always be guys wanting to have sex with them..a simple phone call away.
For me i cannot do that, and it does get me down at times..facebook doesnt help either.

Half of me agree on this, but for me even though I can get sex I still feel somewhat depressed or sad because I keep thinking that no one is gonna take me seriously. I mean, there are times that I'm happy that I'm not in a relationship because I hate the thought of getting jealous and all that relationship problems that I don't have to deal with; but then sometimes I feel lonely and I want to be with someone and not be single forever. I don't know why nobody is asking me out seriously to be honest. Even if guys ask me to go out with them, I can already tell that they only want one thing or that I can feel that this is not going to be serious which seems to be the case all the time. :/
Last time I was single I was still getting sex, but it was just casual and meaningless. I missed having someone who genuinely cares about me and not just sex.

Now I'm in a relationship, but not getting any sex (long-distance), I have someone who cares about me but they're miles away and I'm frustrated with the lack of physical intimacy.

I think for me personally, I need a good balance of both to feel happy. Lack of both would just drive me completely crazy!
Reply 6
I'm single and getting no sex. I see the upsides sometimes, in that I get to focus on other areas in my life, but sometimes you just want a good session if you know what I mean. I just don't have the balls to pursue it at the moment *sigh*
Reply 7
I'm single and haven't slept with anyone since my ex. Sometimes I think I'd like someone but other times I look realistically and think I have other more important things to concentrate on. I'm pretty happy :smile:
Yes people can be happy living like that for a period of time. In fact I am more attracted to girls who are more like this, because it proves that when they do get into a relationship, they are likely to take it more seriously and with more effort than many girls who simply want sex...

I'm not going to lie, I enjoy sex as much as the next man, but the difference is I don't need sex to be happy :smile: but I think I need a girlfriend to be happy; don't really like being alone.
Original post by Ham and Cheese
Yes people can be happy living like that for a period of time. In fact I am more attracted to girls who are more like this, because it proves that when they do get into a relationship, they are likely to take it more seriously and with more effort than many girls who simply want sex...

I'm not going to lie, I enjoy sex as much as the next man, but the difference is I don't need sex to be happy :smile: but I think I need a girlfriend to be happy; don't really like being alone.

So you're attracted to independent girls, yet you can't be happy while you're alone? Those independent girls will definitely be looking for something who can't be happy without them, wanting to spend every minute with them. You're onto a winner pal!

----

I've been single for 18 months and I've kinda enjoyed it actually. I'm not fussed too much about the sex as long as I'm not going 6 months+ without it. That's when the frustration tends to kick in. I enjoy female company, so having female friends and going on the occasional date is enough to keep me from going insane.

I'm confident in myself so I know that being single doesn't mean that there's something wrong with me and I can't get a girlfriend. For me, it's more about choice, and I'm enjoying the freedom. I've learnt so much about myself in the past 18 months, and I've grown a lot as a person. I don't think I'd have been able to do that if I was in a relationship. I'm not saying I'd turn down a relationship if I met the right person, I'm just saying I don't need to be in a relationship to feel happy and complete.

Btw, OP, I'm enjoying your presence on the forum. You've created quite a lot of really good thought-provoking threads for discussion!
(edited 11 years ago)
I disagree, I think a relationship would be a big hassle and not that great.
I like being single. I like being a self-contained person who develops my own character. I do not vainly invest hopes of happiness in other people.
Original post by TranceEnergy1989

a lot of the time girls want relationships for the emotional side of things and not just the sex.

why do you think a lot of girls end up getting attached to fwb? because they crave the emotional attachment side of things.

Whereas im not saying that guys dont, but girls are genetically inclined to seek attachment and guys are inclined to seek sex.
I'm single and happy about it most of the time. I don't particularly get much satisfaction out of casual sex, so it only happens once in a blue moon when I fancy it.
Reply 13
Basically no large amount of adults are especially happy about involuntary abstinence. Some people cannot deal with real relationships, but they would still enjoy sex I imagine.
Reply 14
I don't really fancy relationships and I am happy being single and having no sex if it wasn't for the fact that I think with my dick sometimes which can mess it up a lot. Too much stress in relationships, I'm not a fan of being very close to people too. Not that I don't like intamacy, just don't like being super close. I'm sort of the **** and go to sleep person.

I would rather be a successful person in other areas if that's something.
if I wasn't so bloody sex drived at times I would actually not give a damn.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending