The Student Room Group

Songs of ourselves! CIE IGCSE EXAM MONDAY

starting to panic as i have no notes on the following poems:

Time by Allen Curnow,
The Flower-fed Buffasloes by Vachel Lindsay,
On the grasshopper and the cricket by John Keats,
Full moon and Little Frieda by Ted Hughes,
and So we'll go no more aroving!

Anyone got some useful annotations? or Analysis of the poems?

Any help is appreciated!!

Scroll to see replies

give me your email address ill sned you another thing about flower fed buffaloes and so we'll go no more aroving as it wont let me upload it here. dw remember you have a lot of choice! good luck :smile:
do you have any notes on first love?
Reply 3
Original post by sahajkaur
give me your email address ill sned you another thing about flower fed buffaloes and so we'll go no more aroving as it wont let me upload it here. dw remember you have a lot of choice! good luck :smile:

you're an absolute star!! if anyone has anymore notes please post them here!!
Reply 4
my notes on first love:

First Love By John Clare

It is important to note that the title of the piece is "First Love".* When a situation is experienced for the first time it is often unrecognised or defined, but Clare clearly states this as "Love" without arguing what "love" is.* The poem addresses basic concepts and attributes them to feeling.*

Could be based on a stereotype of the phrase love at first sight. He talks about a loved which occurred on first sight and although no words are exchanged he feels a connection with her. He is more lustful.

His love for her is more physical than emotional I know this from quotes:

"Blood rushed to my face"
"My eyesight quite away" - Love is blind??
"My legs refused to walk away"
"Stole my heart" - Her beauty stole her heart
"clay" - He says that she has control over him, like he literally couldn't move
The language used is simple which reflects his innocence and naivety.

He uses similes to convey her beauty "Her face it bloomed like a sweet flower"
It's a romantic charming intimate poem.

It is a personal reaction, written with timeless, impersonal typography that any soul can relate to.* It is benign and clichéd

In the final stanza he repeats what he said at the start about 'I never saw a face so sweet' Which infers that he can't get her out of his head.
"My heart has left its dwelling place" - His heart is left with her and he will never be the same.
Reply 5
This site contains notes on all of the songs of ourselves poems. They also have really useful powerpoints;
http://englishlanguageliterature.wordpress.com/2011/04/26/powerpoints-on-igcse-poems-2010-2012-selection/
Reply 6
does anyone have the questions from previous years?
Reply 7
Does anyone have anything on Marrysong and Sonnet 29/43?

Thanks for any replies, I'd really appreciate it :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by JessicaAl
does anyone have the questions from previous years?

Here are a few, you should be able to zoom in if it's a bit small
Reply 9
Not meaning to take the focus away from Songs of Ourselves, but are any of you doing Journey's End for the drama? I lost all of notes last week because my computer crashed-- getting very stressed now
Reply 10
AAH! LOST MY ANNOTATED COPY OF SONGS OF OURSELVES! :eek:

Edit: Found it :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by dhanp79
Does anyone have anything on Marrysong and Sonnet 29/43?

Thanks for any replies, I'd really appreciate it :smile:

Marrysong By Dennis Scott

Mixed views as to whether he views her positively or negatively.
The poet describes his wife's mood changes and how interesting he finds it to map out her mind but the problem he encounters in doing so as she is always change. He never mentions he physical beauty but instead her mind.

Many references to geography showing he is bewildered by her and she like an atlas to him. He always refers to the problematic parts of the scenery.
"He charted" - This meaning he maps her out and wants to understand her, proving the point that he is always trying.

"Accepted" - He doesn't want to change her or argue, although he often maps and charts her out wrong

Written in third person showing distance or the idea that it's a bird eyes view and it's zoomed out, or spaced out.
Free verse which shows he could be pensive, he's stumbling through words trying to work her out. This could suggest he cares about her as he spend time thinking about her.

The map was never true". He described her as a "territory without seasons" in which we see reflected an angry woman that for moments he seems to love him and sometimes not "... her love shortened or grew ...". One way or another he ends up not figuring out what was going on with her but taking away his frustration "he accepted that geography". And above all her mood swings and unpredictableness he still loved her.

Many metaphors used:
"There were stones in her voice"
"The shadows of her love"
The metaphors make it more believable that he knows her as he is saying she is literally like that.
Reply 12
does anyone have any notes on the time!! it's the only poem that's never come up!!
ive uploaded a file up there for time by allen curnow :smile:^^
Reply 14
does anyone have any notes on the time!! it's the only poem that's never come up!!

Really? Has Time been the only poem to not come up so far?
Then I hope we can safely predict that it will come up tomorrow... I'll focus on this poem.
You're wrong Time has come up, I have a list of all past questions and it was there :smile:
Reply 16
Right... What about Report to wordsworth? I think that hasn't come up
ill post the list of questions we got given here
Reply 18
Marrysong By Dennis Scott

Mixed views as to whether he views her positively or negatively.
The poet describes his wife's mood changes and how interesting he finds it to map out her mind but the problem he encounters in doing so as she is always change. He never mentions he physical beauty but instead her mind.

Many references to geography showing he is bewildered by her and she like an atlas to him. He always refers to the problematic parts of the scenery.
"He charted" - This meaning he maps her out and wants to understand her, proving the point that he is always trying.

"Accepted" - He doesn't want to change her or argue, although he often maps and charts her out wrong

Written in third person showing distance or the idea that it's a bird eyes view and it's zoomed out, or spaced out.
Free verse which shows he could be pensive, he's stumbling through words trying to work her out. This could suggest he cares about her as he spend time thinking about her.

The map was never true". He described her as a "territory without seasons" in which we see reflected an angry woman that for moments he seems to love him and sometimes not "... her love shortened or grew ...". One way or another he ends up not figuring out what was going on with her but taking away his frustration "he accepted that geography". And above all her mood swings and unpredictableness he still loved her.

Many metaphors used:
"There were stones in her voice"
"The shadows of her love"
The metaphors make it more believable that he knows her as he is saying she is literally like that.

Thanks so much, do you have anything like that for Sonnet 29 and 43?
Reply 19
I have a feeling that Dover Beach will feature again unfortunately. I have no notes whatsoever on it... :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending