The Student Room Group

AQA Physics A - PHYA4 (11/06/12) - Exam thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
Original post by icedragon
Who is arguing that tension isn't maximum at top and bottom? I didn't even see a question 5... ****, how many marks was it?

When considering the mass-spring system:

since the resultant force is =ma.

and since a is 0 at equilibrium, then the resultant force is also 0 at equilibrium. Your forces seemed muddled in the picture, as through the centre the spring stilll has tension on the mass, and this tension is equal to the weight. Its just the its got max v at that point so it keeps on moving.
Original post by Rennit
I saw it with my own eyes. You must of missed it!

The front paper had 6 boxes. Q12345 and total. 4 boxes would imply that there were 3 questions only.

Nice try.
Also noone was arguing about when tension is highest, why did you bring that up and what question what it? I can't remember needing it.
Reply 982
Original post by Rennit
I think you have alot of your forces muddled up. Read my post and see if you have any problems after that, i'd be happy to help.

I have read it and am still not sure what you're on about. What exactly is it with that diagram you have a problem with?
Original post by Nodes Of Ranvier
This guy's clearly just made two accounts to mess with our heads

My heart momentarily stopped.
Original post by justanotherposter
Nice try.
Also noone was arguing about when tension is highest, why did you bring that up and what question what it? I can't remember needing it.

It asked where acceleration was at a max. Not tension.
I am a 100% sure there wasn't any emf question or a question 5. :O
I looked over three times! What the hell?
Reply 986
Original post by gimboid
When considering the mass-spring system:

since the resultant force is =ma.

and since a is 0 at equilibrium, then the resultant force is also 0 at equilibrium. Your forces seemed muddled in the picture, as through the centre the spring stilll has tension on the mass, and this tension is equal to the weight. Its just the its got max v at that point so it keeps on moving.

The left pic is when it's at the middle, where only weight is acting on it.
Reply 987
wtf there was q 5 how many marks was it???
Original post by AxlGirlxai
I am a 100% sure there wasn't any emf question or a question 5. :O
I looked over three times! What the hell?

There wasn't, he was messing with everyones head. The 6 marker which i missed anyway was the last question.
Reply 989
Rennit - The fattest troll on TSR. Don't mess with physics students man, we'll kill you!
Reply 990
The mini heart attack you got when Rennit said there was a question after the 6 marker
Reply 991
Original post by m1a1tank
The mini heart attack you got when Rennit said there was a question after the 6 marker

I think it actually stopped beating.
Reply 992
Original post by IcedTea&PotNoodle

Oh yes silly me, I suppose acceleration is provided by a mystical force that is unrelated to the spring.

The tension is the force that supplies the acceleration.

Seriously, some of you guys don't have a clue.

Acceleration is at a max where tension is at a max... from application of Newtons 2nd law
There was no question after the six marker :P
There wasn't, he was messing with everyones head. The 6 marker which i missed anyway was the last question.

:mad:

I had the worst exam ever. And no - unlike some idiot claiming we are all failures who complain about our failed exams on here, my grade is A atm and will definitely fall to a C after today's exam!
There was too much writing to do.
It might be an easy paper - I don't know. Too much theory = my nightmare.
Reply 996
Original post by icedragon
The left pic is when it's at the middle, where only weight is acting on it.

yes, but that isnt the case. The equilibrium position is when the tension is equal to the weight. The equilibrium position has acceleration of 0, therefore a resultant force of 0.

You seem to think that the equilibrium position has no force from the spring. perhaps it will help if you think about when a mass is attached to a spring and allowed to rest. It is in extension at the equilibirum position, but is not moving. This means the resultant is 0 at that position because T=mg.
Original post by gimboid
yes, but that isnt the case. The equilibrium position is when the tension is equal to the weight. The equilibrium position has acceleration of 0, therefore a resultant force of 0.

You seem to think that the equilibrium position has no force from the spring. perhaps it will help if you think about when a mass is attached to a spring and allowed to rest. It is in extension at the equilibirum position, but is not moving. This means the resultant is 0 at that position because T=mg.

Thank you for agreeing :smile:
Original post by Rennit
Oh yes silly me, I suppose acceleration is provided by a mystical force that is unrelated to the spring.

The tension is the force that supplies the acceleration.

Seriously, some of you guys don't have a clue.

I really don't remember this question, unless you mean the resultant force question, which has nothing to do with max acceleration. I haven't seen any argument against max acceleration being at the amplitude, that is common knowledge.
Reply 999
Original post by gimboid

Don't forget that the spring is oscillating not at rest. The restoring force from the spring always acts towards the midpoint of the oscillation, so when the mass is at the midpoint, by definition there is no force from the spring.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending