The Student Room Group

AQA Physics Unit 3 P3 GCSE 30th May 2012 Exam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by nyami001.303
I got 0.0012 for that question (which is wrong:frown: ) but could you please explain how/why you did that?

I got 0.0012 as well, I think I worked out the moment by mistake!:/
Reply 381
Actually just kill me now.
Reply 382
Original post by zoologist7
This may be of interest:
Past grade boundaries
Year A* A B
JAN 08 31 26 21
JUNE 08 29 25 21
JAN 09 30 26 21
JUNE 09 32 28 23
JAN 10 32 28 23
JUNE 10 37 33 29
JAN 11 34 30 24
JUNE 11 35 31 28
JAN 12 32 28 22

My predictons for grade boundaries are A* 32 A 27 B 23

Hadden

I think that it would be like 30 or 29 for an A* considering the amount of people that found this paper relativley hard.
Right everyone here goes. It was sooo hard. So this is the answers i can remmeber and the questions i think it was.

UPDATED
I think these are in the right order

1a) Towards the centre of the circle (1)
1b) Tension in the rope (1)
1c) Because changing one of these would affect the centripetal force and the speed of the bung and they did it so that there was only one independent variable. For example, if the mass of the bung increased, the centripetal force needed to keep it moving at the same speed would need to be increased (2)
1d) So that their results were more reliable (1)
1e) continous, dependent(1)
1f) The bigger the centripetal force, the faster the speed needed to keep it moving in a circle (1)

2a) They suspended the card from a pole (the pole went through the hole) and the card came to rest with it's centre of mass directly below its point of suspension. It did this as its weight had had a turning effect that returned it to its equilibrium position. Then they drew a line vertically down using a plumbline. Then, the repeated the proccess from a different point on the card and drew another vertical line down when the object came to rest and the place where the lines meet is the centre of mass (3)
2b) they could test that the position is accurate by balancing the point where the lines cross on a pointed object like a sharp pencil. If the centre of mass is in the correct position it will balance, if it isn't, it won't (2)

3a) gravitational attraction between the satellite and the earth (1)
3b) No, because geostationary satellites orbit the earth once every 24 hours not twice every 24 hours. (2)

4a) This happens because of the motor effect. The wire moves upwards when the switch is closed because current flows through the circuit and a magentic field forms around the wire and this interacts with the magnetic field from the magnet and repulses it so it moves upwards (2)
4b) The motor effect (1)
4c) The wires direction of movement would be reversed five times every second (2)
4d) I cant remember this question but it was something to do with increasing the frequency. So here goes: The wire would move back and forth quicker and further (2)
4e)0.005 N (2)

5a) The maximum loudness of the notes are the same as they have the same mixmum amplitude (1)
5b) The first notes is a smooth sound whereas the second notes is a sharp, brassy sound (1)
5c) The amplitude (1)
5d) Because they can only hear sound including and above 48 decibels so they need people to talk louder than in a normal conversation because the normal conversation is 45 decibels (2)
5e) Crosses across twenty from 250-20000 Hz (1)
5f) Because it can damage their hearing (1)
5g)Because in the hall the sound will reflect of the walls meaning that the sound is louder (1)

6a) step up (1)
6b) because there are more turns on the secondary coil than on the primary coil (1)
6c)because it is a magnetic material (1)
6d) 60 turns (2)

7a) diverging lens (1)
7b) line from object through centre of lens. line focus thorugh the point where a line from the top of the object meets the vertical y axis. Arrow where they meet (3)
7c) 0.5 (2)
7d) because the image is formed on the same side of the lens as the object (1)

8a) the star runs out of hydrogen to fuse together in its core (1)
8b) The star expand, becomes hotter and then cools to form a red giant. It then contracts and cools even more to form a white dwarf. (3)

I think i got 32/45 i think i dropped 13

Here is what i think i dropped

1c) Because changing one of these would affect the centripetal force and the speed of the bung and they did it so that there was only one independent variable. For example, if the mass of the bung increased, the centripetal force needed to keep it moving at the same speed would need to be increased (2)- Lose 2
2a) They suspended the card from a pole (the pole went through the hole) and the card came to rest with it's centre of mass directly below its point of suspension. It did this as its weight had had a turning effect that returned it to its equilibrium position. Then they drew a line vertically down using a plumbline. Then, the repeated the proccess from a different point on the card and drew another vertical line down when the object came to rest and the place where the lines meet is the centre of mass (3)-Lose 1
4a) This happens because of the motor effect. The wire moves upwards when the switch is closed because current flows through the circuit and a magentic field forms around the wire and this interacts with the magnetic field from the magnet and repulses it so it moves upwards (2)-Lose 1
4c) The wires direction of movement would be reversed five times every second (2)-Lose 2
5b) The first notes is a smooth sound whereas the second notes is a sharp, brassy sound (1)-Lose 1
5d) Because they can only hear sound including and above 48 decibels so they need people to talk louder than in a normal conversation because the normal conversation is 45 decibels (2)-Lose 2
5e) Crosses across twenty from 250-20000 Hz (1)Lose 1
5f) Because it can damage their hearing (1)-Lose 1
8b) The star expand, becomes hotter and then cools to form a red giant. It then contracts and cools even more to form a white dwarf. (3)-Lose 2

PLEASE MARK THIS AND LET ME KNOW HOW YOU THINK I'VE DONE, WHERE YOU THINK I HAVE DROPPED MARKS OR GAINED MARKS AND WHY BECAUSE I DID SPEND THE TIME TO COME UP WITH THE MARK SCHEME
Reply 384
I think 30 or 31 will be A*, certainly no higher than 32.
Reply 385
how much for an 30-40 ums?
Reply 386
Original post by bobe25

http://web.aqa.org.uk/UMS/index.php

You can check the past papers UMS conversion here. 8-10 marks on the higher and 15-19 on the foundation in January this year.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 387
Original post by bobe25

about 20 marks, you're relatively safe!
Original post by Sara_A
I think that it would be like 30 or 29 for an A* considering the amount of people that found this paper relativley hard.

True. I dint want to estimate too low to give false hope... only the examiners will know. I just hope they are generous!
Right everyone here goes. It was sooo hard. So this is the answers i can remmeber and the questions i think it was.

UPDATED

1c) Because changing one of these would affect the centripetal force and the speed of the bung and they did it so that there was only one independent variable. For example, if the mass of the bung increased, the centripetal force needed to keep it moving at the same speed would need to be increased (2)
1f) The bigger the centripetal force, the faster the speed needed to keep it moving in a circle (1)

2a) They suspended the card from a pole (the pole went through the hole) and the card came to rest with it's centre of mass directly below its point of suspension. It did this as its weight had had a turning effect that returned it to its equilibrium position. Then they drew a line vertically down using a plumbline. Then, the repeated the proccess from a different point on the card and drew another vertical line down when the object came to rest and the place where the lines meet is the centre of mass (3)
2b) they could test that the position is accurate by balancing the point where the lines cross on a pointed object like a sharp pencil. If the centre of mass is in the correct position it will balance, if it isn't, it won't (2)

3b) No, because geostationary satellites orbit the earth once every 24 hours not twice every 24 hours. (2)

4a) This happens because of the motor effect. The wire moves upwards when the switch is closed because current flows through the circuit and a magentic field forms around the wire and this interacts with the magnetic field from the magnet and repulses it so it moves upwards (2)
4b) The motor effect (1)
4c) The wires direction of movement would be reversed five times every second (2)
4d) I cant remember this question but it was something to do with increasing the frequency. So here goes: The wire would move back and forth quicker and further (2)
4e)0.005 N (2)

5a) The maximum loudness of the notes are the same as they have the same mixmum amplitude (1)
5b) The first notes is a smooth sound whereas the second notes is a sharp, brassy sound (1)
5c) The amplitude (1)
5d) Because they can only hear sound including and above 48 decibels so they need people to talk louder than in a normal conversation because the normal conversation is 45 decibels (2)
5g)Because in the hall the sound will reflect of the walls meaning that the sound is louder (1)

6a) step up (1)
6b) because there are more turns on the secondary coil than on the primary coil (1)
6d) 60 turns (2)

7a) diverging lens (1)
7b) line from object through centre of lens. line focus thorugh the point where a line from the top of the object meets the vertical y axis. Arrow where they meet (3)
7c) 0.5 (2)

8b) The star expand, becomes hotter and then cools to form a red giant. It then contracts and cools even more to form a white dwarf. (3)

1c) Because changing one of these would affect the centripetal force and the speed of the bung and they did it so that there was only one independent variable. For example, if the mass of the bung increased, the centripetal force needed to keep it moving at the same speed would need to be increased (2)- Lose 2
2a) They suspended the card from a pole (the pole went through the hole) and the card came to rest with it's centre of mass directly below its point of suspension. It did this as its weight had had a turning effect that returned it to its equilibrium position. Then they drew a line vertically down using a plumbline. Then, the repeated the proccess from a different point on the card and drew another vertical line down when the object came to rest and the place where the lines meet is the centre of mass (3)-Lose 1
4a) This happens because of the motor effect. The wire moves upwards when the switch is closed because current flows through the circuit and a magentic field forms around the wire and this interacts with the magnetic field from the magnet and repulses it so it moves upwards (2)-Lose 1
4c) The wires direction of movement would be reversed five times every second (2)-Lose 2
5b) The first notes is a smooth sound whereas the second notes is a sharp, brassy sound (1)-Lose 1
5d) Because they can only hear sound including and above 48 decibels so they need people to talk louder than in a normal conversation because the normal conversation is 45 decibels (2)-Lose 2
8b) The star expand, becomes hotter and then cools to form a red giant. It then contracts and cools even more to form a white dwarf. (3)-Lose 2

PLEASE MARK THIS AND LET ME KNOW HOW YOU THINK I'VE DONE, WHERE YOU THINK I HAVE DROPPED MARKS OR GAINED MARKS AND WHY BECAUSE I DID SPEND THE TIME TO COME UP WITH THE MARK SCHEME
[QUOTE="Parente;37840657"]
Original post by kashagupta
I am soo stupid, I did the object height divided by the I,age height by accident.....kicking myself

My days I did the exact same thing, I was literally clawing myself afterwards. I got the 7.5 and 15 and got a magnification of 2, complete BS. And that question on hearing I hated! Nothing on physics like ultrasound, complete and random BS. The boundaries will be lowed than jan which was 32 A*

Couldn't have hated that exam more than I do! Also, for that continuous variable one, were you suppose to circle two? Fml
Reply 391
Original post by Laldous
about 20 marks, you're relatively safe!

i did foundation though so how much would that be?

You do know that is all theoretical right?
Reply 393
Original post by bobe25
i did foundation though so how much would that be?

It was 15-19 marks for 30-40 UMS in January on the foundation. It will probably be similar this time.
Reply 394
[QUOTE="kashagupta;37841566"]
Original post by Parente

Couldn't have hated that exam more than I do! Also, for that continuous variable one, were you suppose to circle two? Fml

yes you were, and it was only 1 mark so you had to get both correct :frown: i made the same mistake
Reply 395
Right.. you're all a bunch of cynicals me thinks..
It was not a hard exam, if you didn't learn what was in the book and only did past papers,
well that's your fault. The grade boundaries will be around 34 for A* and 29 for an A...
P3 is the easiest unit, with the easiest exam by far.. P2 was horrendous.. :/
Some things:

I measured the Sizes of the "Arrows" getting 2cm and 3cm
so I did 2/3 = 0.67?
But I think I may have got it wrong

I also put "String attaching the bung and weight" for the Centripetal Force

6a) I got Step Down :confused:
But will I get the mark on the next part for "More coils" :frown:

5d) I also mentioned "Hearing Aids would amplify the sound".. that should be worthy of a mark right?

5e) I put them all on or below 20Hz.. in a similar curve to the poor hearing one?
Is that right?

5b) I put "Purity" of the note

7d) I put it was formed with Virtual Rays? :tongue:

and Finally for 8b) I wrote.. the Relative Luminosity would go up when the sun expands to a red giant then it would decrease when it collapsed and formed a White Dwarf. Meaning the Relative Luminosity would go up then down. (Is that ok?)

Reply 397
Original post by kaneboy
I honestly think it will be something like... 15 C, 19 B. Everyone seems to have found it painstakingly hard. AQA really have to sort their **** out

Hope you're right, by god son for the love of physics I hope you are right
I did horribly in that. By far the hardest Further Paper I have ever done. I think I got around 36/45 and I'm used to getting 42 or 43.
I must have misread the Geostationary Orbit question, because I thought it orbited the Earth every 24 hours, so there's 2 marks gone.

Isn't the answer to 2 b) "Suspend the card from a third position and draw a third line. If the line intersects close to where the other two intersect, then the results are accurate"?

For the last question, because it said "Use the diagram to help" I stupidly only used the diagram and failed to mention anything about Red Dwarfs or White Dwarfs.
I said "The luminosity will decrease over time, meaning the star will get dimmer. The surface temperature will decrease over time meaning the star will cool. The rate of these decreases will increase over time so that the star dims and cools and an increasingly fast rate"
Do you think I will lose all the marks for that or could I get 1 or 2 out of 3?
Original post by Aarongreatbanks

UPDATED

4b) The motor effect (1)
4e)0.005 N (2)

5c) The amplitude (1)

6a) step up (1)
6d) 60 turns (2)

7a) diverging lens (1)
7c) 0.5 (2)

I personally think every mark you say you lost its likely that that is the case however I think You would get a mark for 5f, 5d and 1c.
On a whole I think you did rather well most probably A*/A.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending