The Student Room Group

AQA Physics Unit 3 P3 GCSE 30th May 2012 Exam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
I think I just want to cry, I hate chemistry but I think this was my worst exam >.<
Reply 581
[QUOTE="Student95;37844135"]
Original post by Aarongreatbanks

1e) continous, dependent(1)

I thought it would be independent - time is what was being measured
Original post by Nistar
I bet you've done fantastically though! Not much I can do know about how I've done so I won't fret. :smile:

:redface: Not sure about that..:frown: But yeah, I need to concentrate on the other exams now.. esp. the P1 I have next month, hopefully I can score well in that. I know for the Physics ISA I got 39 - 100 UMS.

Yeah you never know, you might have done well too, it's just coming here on TSR and looking at the answers and seeing you didn't write that down bogs people down (like me :colondollar:)
Original post by Student95
For the moment one, I subracted 2 from 8 to get the distance and then did (0.02*2)/6 to get the force which I got as 0.0067N... I wrote that total clockwise moments = total anti-clockwise moments...

How many marks do you think I will get?
Thanks!

One of my friends did this as well.
You may get one mark for method, but I don't think much more.
I hope writing CM=ACM doesn't get you a mark, because I didn't do that. We never do that in AdMaths either.
Reply 584
Original post by Callnew
I calculated as harshly as possible and got 30 out of 45, what would that be???

probably a high A
What do you think 21 will be?
[QUOTE="Ketchup!;37844191"]
Original post by Student95

I thought it would be independent - time is what was being measured

It was speed they were trying to measure. How the radius affects the speed, so radius is independent, time is dependent.
i think i got 25-32 depending on the marksheme. i've gone past the point of caring about a A* now i need 65UMS for a A* overall, that is all i want, one way or another. Do you think i'll get it
Reply 588
Original post by Mr Nicholas
What do you think 21 will be?

B probably
UNOFFICIAL P3 Mark Scheme - 30.5.12 - AQA GCSE *UPDATED*

Thanks to: AaronGreatBanks too :biggrin:

Where there is "underlining" and "bold" it means it is required for the mark
List principle applies - Incorrect + Correct = Wrong

Q1 - Circular Motion
1a) Towards the centre of the circle (Maybe: Accept towards the mass) (1)
1b) Tension in the rope (1)
1c) Any TWO from:
- You can only have one independent variable
- It would alter the results etc. - (Idea of "ruining the experiment here")
(Any more??) (2)
1d) So that their results were more reliable (Maybe: Accept it is hard to count only one spin accurately) (1)
1e) Continous , Dependent (1) (Both needed for 1 mark - Apply List Principle - One / Three-Four ticked = 0 Marks
1f) The bigger the centripetal force, the faster the speed needed to keep it moving in a circle
(Accept Greater/Bigger - Accept Converse - Ignore Answers relating to proportion - Positive Correlation is insufficient for mark) (1)

Q2 - Centre of Mass
2a) Any THREE from:
- Hanging card by holes on stand (owtte)
- Placing Plumbline on the card (to find the centre of mass)
- Drawing line along the piece of string of the plumbline etc.
- Where the two lines cross is the centre of mass
(Allow any sensible suggestions) (3)
2b) - Balance object on Centre of Mass / Draw a third line - (Idea of proof / improvement) (2)

Q3 - Satellites
3a) Gravity (between Satellite and Earth) - Do NOT accept "weight" (1)
3b) No
- Geostationary only have one orbit (that had two) (Or Converse)
- It is not orbiting the equator (1)

Q4 - Motor Effect
4a) Any TWO from:
- When the switch is closed, current flows
- The wire experiences a force when a current flows in a magnetic field
- (The wire goes upwards as a result of current) - Maybe not worth a mark at all :tongue: (2)
4b) The Motor Effect (1)
4c) The wires direction of movement would be reversed five times every second (2)
4e)0.005 N (2) - 1 for Working and ecf - 2 for answer without or with working

Q5 - Sound
5a) Same amplitude(1)
5b) The first notes is a smooth sound whereas the second notes is a sharp, brassy sound - Or reference to purity of the note - idea of different appearance (1) - Do NOT accept references to "Frequency/Amplitude"
5c) The amplitude (1)
5d) Any TWO from:
- The lady cannot hear below 50dB
- The average speaking voice = 45dB so she cannot hear it properly
- The essential speaking range = 500-2000Hz
- Idea that a hearing aid will amplify normal volume to volume she can hear etc. (2)
5e) Crosses across twenty from 250-20000 Hz - Do not accept crosses above 20 on Y-Axis - Min. 5 Crosses - Accept the crosses anywhere between 0 and 20 and in the shape of the curve provided in preceding graph (1)
5f) Because it can damage their hearing / Idea of needing to know to prevent risk etc. (Accept: Dangerous to them so need to be warned) (1)
5g) Because in the hall the sound will reflect off the walls meaning that the sound is louder (Or Converse) (1)

Q6 - Transformers
6a) Step Up (1)
6b) More Coils on Secondary Coil than Primary Coil (1)
6c) Iron is magnetic / It can produce an alternating magnetic field - Do NOT accept "it conducts well" (1)
6d) 60 Turns (2) - 1 for Working, 1 for Answer - Award 2 for Answer with or without working

Q7 - Lenses
7a) Diverging lens (1)
7b) Any THREE From:
- Ray horizontal/perpendicular to object to the lens and refracting
- Ray from the object tip to the point where the axis and the lens meet and refracting
- Correct drawing of Final Image - (Incl. Correct use of dotted lines)
- Quality of Drawing and Arrows used (3)
7c) 0.5 (2) - Or: ECF from 7b) - Their Image Height / Object Height for 2 marks - 1 mark for Working, 1 for Answer - Award 2 with or without working
7d) ONE from:
- Formed by virtual rays
- No real rays pass through the image
- (Maybe: "Formed on same side of the lens") (1)

Q8 - Life of a Star
8a) The Star runs out of Hydrogen fuel, preventing nuclear fusion - Ignore: "Fission" and wrong spelling to be confused with Fusion (1)
8b) Any THREE from:
- The star expands to form a Red Giant (and heats up)
- The Red Giant then turns into a White Dwarf Star (and cools)
- Relative Luminosity Increases then Decreases etc. - Accept: "It gets brighter then duller (owtte)"
(Any others??) (3)

Predicted Boundaries: (Don't expect me to be right though :rolleyes: - It definitely was hard :tongue: )
Grade Boundaries are devised by how hard the paper was on national average - Not years before or personally but this year's average!
31 A* -- (Unlikely to Exceed 33 or Fall Below 29)
27 A -- (Unlikely to Exceed 30 or Fall Below ~25)
21 B -- (Unlikely to Exceed 25 or Fall Below 18)
16 C? -- (Unlikely to Exceed 20 or Fall Much Below 15)

Please suggest what else to add!

Thanks to Aaron for also starting this - I have just added more :biggrin: Enjoy!

Spoiler

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 590
Original post by Maisie10
you seem to have done very well! a* definately based on that...But what is the actual answer to 5b?

Waa I said "Generator Effect"...I'm so stupid -.-
I was looking forwards to nice star questions, and they gave us a diagram which I did not understand. Why couldn't it be "How do denser materials form" :frown:
I'll be happy with a B, totally dreading results day *fingers crossed*
Reply 591
i think i got 25-32 depending on the marksheme. i've gone past the point of caring about a A* now i need 65UMS for a A* overall, that is all i want, one way or another. Do you think i'll get it

yeah I reckon even 25 will be at least 75 UMS :smile:
Reply 592
Original post by Maisie10
How do aqa decide what exam papers are 'hard' therefore having low grade boundaries or 'easy'? Is it just based on the average score people get?

Yes, the national average.
Reply 593
[QUOTE="Ali_Ludley;37843847"]Honestly you have now planted a seed of doubt in my brain...[/QUOTE
Sorry everyone, it was me, i think the answer is 0.005, because i just felt sorry for people who were upset about being wrong and i thought i was right.
Reply 594
[QUOTE="Frankster;37844232"]
Original post by Ketchup!

It was speed they were trying to measure. How the radius affects the speed, so radius is independent, time is dependent.

oops:L
You know for the geostationary question...? I thought it was because low polar's orbit every few hours, and the satellite orbited every 12 hours.
I need an A :smile: Apparently it's impossible for me to get the a* so thats what i'm aiming for
Original post by hypnosam
If someone can find a copy of the paper, I'm doing a degree in Physics, so I can give a unofficial mark scheme.

Sorry bro, was meant to +rep you but I'm on my phone and accidentally hit beg. Thanks for offering to help
As a thanks for my work would you mark what i got please?

Right everyone here goes. It was sooo hard. So this is the answers i can remmeber and the questions i think it was.

UPDATED
I think these are in the right order

1a) Towards the centre of the circle (1)
1b) Tension in the rope (1)
1c) Because changing one of these would affect the centripetal force and the speed of the bung and they did it so that there was only one independent variable. For example, if the mass of the bung increased, the centripetal force needed to keep it moving at the same speed would need to be increased (2)
1d) So that their results were more reliable (1)
1e) continous, dependent(1)
1f) The bigger the centripetal force, the faster the speed needed to keep it moving in a circle (1)

2a) They suspended the card from a pole (the pole went through the hole) and the card came to rest with it's centre of mass directly below its point of suspension. It did this as its weight had had a turning effect that returned it to its equilibrium position. Then they drew a line vertically down using a plumbline. Then, the repeated the proccess from a different point on the card and drew another vertical line down when the object came to rest and the place where the lines meet is the centre of mass (3)
2b) they could test that the position is accurate by balancing the point where the lines cross on a pointed object like a sharp pencil. If the centre of mass is in the correct position it will balance, if it isn't, it won't (2)

3a) gravitational attraction between the satellite and the earth (1)
3b) No, because geostationary satellites orbit the earth once every 24 hours not twice every 24 hours. (2)

4a) This happens because of the motor effect. The wire moves upwards when the switch is closed because current flows through the circuit and a magentic field forms around the wire and this interacts with the magnetic field from the magnet and repulses it so it moves upwards (2)
4b) The motor effect (1)
4c) The wires direction of movement would be reversed five times every second (2)
4d) I cant remember this question but it was something to do with increasing the frequency. So here goes: The wire would move back and forth quicker and further (2)
4e)0.005 N (2)

5a) The maximum loudness of the notes are the same as they have the same mixmum amplitude (1)
5b) The first notes is a smooth sound whereas the second notes is a sharp, brassy sound (1)
5c) The amplitude (1)
5d) Because they can only hear sound including and above 48 decibels so they need people to talk louder than in a normal conversation because the normal conversation is 45 decibels (2)
5e) Crosses across twenty from 250-20000 Hz (1)
5f) Because it can damage their hearing (1)
5g)Because in the hall the sound will reflect of the walls meaning that the sound is louder (1)

6a) step up (1)
6b) because there are more turns on the secondary coil than on the primary coil (1)
6c)because it is a magnetic material (1)
6d) 60 turns (2)

7a) diverging lens (1)
7b) line from object through centre of lens. line focus thorugh the point where a line from the top of the object meets the vertical y axis. Arrow where they meet (3)
7c) 0.5 (2)
7d) because the image is formed on the same side of the lens as the object (1)

8a) the star runs out of hydrogen to fuse together in its core (1)
8b) The star expand, becomes hotter and then cools to form a red giant. It then contracts and cools even more to form a white dwarf. (3)

I think i got 32/45 i think i dropped 13

Here is what i think i dropped

1c) Because changing one of these would affect the centripetal force and the speed of the bung and they did it so that there was only one independent variable. For example, if the mass of the bung increased, the centripetal force needed to keep it moving at the same speed would need to be increased (2)- Lose 2
2a) They suspended the card from a pole (the pole went through the hole) and the card came to rest with it's centre of mass directly below its point of suspension. It did this as its weight had had a turning effect that returned it to its equilibrium position. Then they drew a line vertically down using a plumbline. Then, the repeated the proccess from a different point on the card and drew another vertical line down when the object came to rest and the place where the lines meet is the centre of mass (3)-Lose 1
4a) This happens because of the motor effect. The wire moves upwards when the switch is closed because current flows through the circuit and a magentic field forms around the wire and this interacts with the magnetic field from the magnet and repulses it so it moves upwards (2)-Lose 1
4c) The wires direction of movement would be reversed five times every second (2)-Lose 2
5b) The first notes is a smooth sound whereas the second notes is a sharp, brassy sound (1)-Lose 1
5d) Because they can only hear sound including and above 48 decibels so they need people to talk louder than in a normal conversation because the normal conversation is 45 decibels (2)-Lose 2
5e) Crosses across twenty from 250-20000 Hz (1)Lose 1
5f) Because it can damage their hearing (1)-Lose 1
8b) The star expand, becomes hotter and then cools to form a red giant. It then contracts and cools even more to form a white dwarf. (3)-Lose 2

Hmm.. I think you have done quite well.. Mid 30s.. 35 ish :tongue:
Although AQA are pedantic so 32 seems a good estimate - I would say an A* :smile:
not even jokes guys... was ****ing solid..caused a riot after the exam, tables were flyin' across the room, one examiner was shot.. complete riot. the paper was so hard i **** my pants half way through.. and ohh when that paper question came up, there wasn't a dry eye in the house. probable a* is gonna be 28ishh, but idk? peace yo
Original post by DannyTowes
it was a geostationary satellite because the orbit was 24 hours and it travelled horizontally. also, i did the audiogram different, the x's represented the lowest a person could hear so i put them all along the x axis, also i got the same as you for the moments question and i agree, stupid AQA

It orbited twice in 24 hours therefore making it impossible for it to be geostationary.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending