The Student Room Group

AQA Physics Unit 3 P3 GCSE 30th May 2012 Exam

Scroll to see replies

I need two 100 UMS to just get an a* overall despite getting an a in both p1 and isa. Anyone else in the same position as me? Think I probably got about 37 in p2 and 34 in p3, think that will be 100 UMS if I'm lucky?
Original post by DilanPatel
I need two 100 UMS to just get an a* overall despite getting an a in both p1 and isa. Anyone else in the same position as me? Think I probably got about 37 in p2 and 34 in p3, think that will be 100 UMS if I'm lucky?

34 in P3 = 100 UMS
37 in P2 = i personally think this will be scraping A* boundary so around 90-95 UMS
Reply 782
I seriously wouldn't fret much about it guys...it was a tough paper, but that only means the boundaries will be low! Also, typically if you're interested enough to check how others found it on TSR then you probably take your studies seriously, so at the end of the day you'll get what you deserve.

Also, based on past papers and boundaries I've been looking at, I wouldn't be surprised if the A* dropped to 30; however, that is a severely uneducated guess.
ANY REAL GRADE BOUNDARY ESTIMATES????

I'm thinking
27=A*
23=A
19=B
14=C
Original post by Aarongreatbanks
SOrry to sound rude but are you stupid. I have definitely dropped more than 7 marks that's evident!

yeah sorry re-calculated you have lost 12 marks i think
Original post by Fas
yeah sorry re-calculated you have lost 12 marks i think

Thats more realistic but that still 7 less than i thought!
Reply 786
I think it's best to just stop being paranoid over this exam, wait for results day, nothing you'll do now will change it!
Concentrate on the rest of your exams, which will be more important to concentrate on than how many marks you lost
for an exam which can be resat in january 2013 :/
Thats more realistic but that still 7 less than i thought!

aye but for those 7 i think you are giving them wrong when they are right :smile:
Reply 788
Original post by Aidn
I think it's best to just stop being paranoid over this exam, wait for results day, nothing you'll do now will change it!
Concentrate on the rest of your exams, which will be more important to concentrate on than how many marks you lost

so true, but it's so tempting
Original post by Fas
aye but for those 7 i think you are giving them wrong when they are right :smile:

Thanks
Original post by Fas
how did you get the image formed on the line? the object itself was ON the focus point ,i got the image formed in front of the lens but sort of above the line so to speak

I don't get what you mean?
Original post by Aidn

No exam in 2013, that was the last one (The scheme is being replaced)
Reply 792
Original post by michelfish

I think you'll find that's wrong :smile:

resit.PNG

Nope, there's a chance to resit in January :smile:
I don't get what you mean?

on the attachment you showed me , your arrow is pointing to the image , but the image formed is on the axis from the looks of your diagram.
Reply 795
Original post by steviep14
UNOFFICIAL P3 Mark Scheme - 30.5.12 - AQA GCSE

100 UMS - 34 Marks
97 - 33
93 - 32
90 - 31
87 - 30
85 - 29
82 - 28
80 UMS -27 Marks
78 - 26
76 - 25
74 - 24
73 - 23
71 - 22
70 - 21
68 - 20
66 - 19
64 - 18
62 - 17
60 UMS - 16 Marks

Thanks to both of you, and if your predictions are right/similar it would sooo awessome, and LOOL its funny to think that less than 20 marks can make you pass...best thing about UMS! afterall june 2008 was 29 for an A* :P
Original post by Fas
on the attachment you showed me , your arrow is pointing to the image , but the image formed is on the axis from the looks of your diagram.

The image is the arrow, the head is the top and the start is the bottom.
Right everyone here goes. It was sooo hard. So this is the answers i can remmeber and the questions i think it was.

UPDATED
I think these are in the right order

1a) Towards the centre of the circle (1)
1b) Tension in the rope (1)
1c) Because changing one of these would affect the centripetal force and the speed of the bung and they did it so that there was only one independent variable. For example, if the mass of the bung increased, the centripetal force needed to keep it moving at the same speed would need to be increased (2)
1d) So that their results were more reliable (1)
1e) continous, dependent(1)
1f) The bigger the centripetal force, the faster the speed needed to keep it moving in a circle (1)

2a) They suspended the card from a pole (the pole went through the hole) and the card came to rest with it's centre of mass directly below its point of suspension. It did this as its weight had had a turning effect that returned it to its equilibrium position. Then they drew a line vertically down using a plumbline. Then, the repeated the proccess from a different point on the card and drew another vertical line down when the object came to rest and the place where the lines meet is the centre of mass (3)
2b) they could test that the position is accurate by balancing the point where the lines cross on a pointed object like a sharp pencil. If the centre of mass is in the correct position it will balance, if it isn't, it won't (2)

3a) gravitational attraction between the satellite and the earth (1)
3b) No, because geostationary satellites orbit the earth once every 24 hours not twice every 24 hours. (2)

4a) This happens because of the motor effect. The wire moves upwards when the switch is closed because current flows through the circuit and a magentic field forms around the wire and this interacts with the magnetic field from the magnet and repulses it so it moves upwards (2)
4b) The motor effect (1)
4c) The wires direction of movement would be reversed five times every second (2)
4d) I cant remember this question but it was something to do with increasing the frequency. So here goes: The wire would move back and forth quicker and further (2)
4e)0.005 N (2)

5a) The maximum loudness of the notes are the same as they have the same mixmum amplitude (1)
5b) The first notes is a smooth sound whereas the second notes is a sharp, brassy sound (1)
5c) The amplitude (1)
5d) Because they can only hear sound including and above 48 decibels so they need people to talk louder than in a normal conversation because the normal conversation is 45 decibels (2)
5e) Crosses across twenty from 250-20000 Hz (1)
5f) Because it can damage their hearing (1)
5g)Because in the hall the sound will reflect of the walls meaning that the sound is louder (1)

6a) step up (1)
6b) because there are more turns on the secondary coil than on the primary coil (1)
6c)because it is a magnetic material (1)
6d) 60 turns (2)

7a) diverging lens (1)
7b) line from object through centre of lens. line focus thorugh the point where a line from the top of the object meets the vertical y axis. Arrow where they meet (3)
7c) 0.5 (2)
7d) because the image is formed on the same side of the lens as the object (1)

8a) the star runs out of hydrogen to fuse together in its core (1)
8b) The star expand, becomes hotter and then cools to form a red giant. It then contracts and cools even more to form a white dwarf. (3)

I think i got a B

I think i did shockingly terrible but let me know of any questions or things i missed and can someone tell me how they think i did as i did put the effort in to make this

For 1b I wrote weight at centre.
3b I wrote nope, because geostationary satellites do not move and stay in one position.
4e I got 0.008N! I did the same working out as you had to but swopped over the 2m and 8m UGHHHH. I did actually do the correct working out FIRST but my calculator gave me 5 to the -3 so I got scared that the number was too small!!
5f I wrote the vibrations may shatter their eardrums and damage hearing.
6d I got some NEXT LEVEL answer of 314700 or something. Could you please tell me hoe you got 60? (working out and stuff please?)
7a I wrote concave lens... Is it still correct?
7d I wrote because the image is formed at imaginary lines (it was in a june 2009 past paper or something)
8b (I got this deffo wrong) I said the luminosity decreases as temperature decreases, and a supernova is formed and then a black hole.

HELP. I think I failed.
Reply 798
Original post by Fas
how did you get the image formed on the line? the object itself was ON the focus point ,i got the image formed in front of the lens but sort of above the line so to speak

Sorry but that is horribly wrong? The image forms where your first 2 lines meet (the perpendicular one and the one going into the axis) not on the line, I believe...

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by ImprintMeJacob
For 1b I wrote weight at centre.
3b I wrote nope, because geostationary satellites do not move and stay in one position.
4e I got 0.008N! I did the same working out as you had to but swopped over the 2m and 8m UGHHHH. I did actually do the correct working out FIRST but my calculator gave me 5 to the -3 so I got scared that the number was too small!!
5f I wrote the vibrations may shatter their eardrums and damage hearing.
6d I got some NEXT LEVEL answer of 314700 or something. Could you please tell me hoe you got 60? (working out and stuff please?)
7a I wrote concave lens... Is it still correct?
7d I wrote because the image is formed at imaginary lines (it was in a june 2009 past paper or something)
8b (I got this deffo wrong) I said the luminosity decreases as temperature decreases, and a supernova is formed and then a black hole.

HELP. I think I failed.

1b is wrong, cos it was tension in the string
3b is correct
4e you will pick up 1/2 marks i think
5f upto the exaimers discretion but probably correct
6d ive forgotton the numbers but you just had to use the formula it was given ( answer was 60)
7a is correct
7d is correct, that is a viable answer dont worry :smile:
8b you get 1/3 cos your comment about luminosity and temperature is correct to an extent

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending