The Student Room Group

AQA Core 4 Exam Discussion 14/06/2012 !Poll, paper and unofficial MS (first post)!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lee_vassallo
Anyone care to help me with June 09 question 3(c)? Its just finding the range of values for a binomial expansion but there's a subtle difference I haven't seen before, I just assumed it was mod(x)<1/3 but it isn't so can anyone explain it to me?

When you split it in to partial fractions and worked out the expansion from there, you should have used
Unparseable latex formula:

3(\dfrac{1}{2}\ (1 - \dfrac{3}{2}\ x)^-^1)

as part of it right? Because it is 32 \dfrac{3}{2} in the bracket not just 3x 3x then the range is now this:

-1< 32 x \dfrac{3}{2} \ x < 1

Which you can then change (multiply by 2 and then divide by 3) to give 23 <x<23  \dfrac{-2}{3}\ < x < \dfrac{2}{3}\ (or mod x is less than 2/3)

Hope this helps! :smile:
Thank you both, great answers :smile:
Reply 182
Original post by hash007
Anyone do maths with statistics?

I really dont understand continous probability distributions/cumulative distribution functions. Wasn't really taught it as college and I don't have a clue what to do in the past papers, looking at the mark scheme doesn't make much sense either. Anyone know any sites that would help explain it, or some worked examples. I'm on track for A* in C3/C4 but I hope S2 doesn't drag me down so that I don't get an overall D:

Ive looked on examsolutions, but it's a real brief section on there.

I feel the exactly same S2 is really confusing i havent started past papers yet as im just reading through the aqa stats 2 book. I wish i done decision maths instead everyone said that paper was really easy :frown:
Reply 183
January 2010, 8bii)

h = 60 ( 1 - e^-t/4 )

show that dh/dt = 15 - h/4

Dont understand how to do this :confused:
Original post by hash007
January 2010, 8bii)

h = 60 ( 1 - e^-t/4 )

show that dh/dt = 15 - h/4

Dont understand how to do this :confused:

Just did this paper, that bit was a little sneaky, I'll spoiler my method:

Spoiler

http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gceasa/qp-ms/AQA-MPC4-W-QP-JAN08.PDF

Can anyone help with question 2b) ? I always get confused when i do this type of question. And gooood luccck guys :smile:
Have a look at the actual grade boundaries for the papers you do, because often teachers mark them as standard 70% B 80% A and so on. But they are often slightly lower that that on core 4, for instance jan 12 76% for and A and 68% for a B!
2b) Use long division to divide 2x squared after expanding the brackets, then A is the number of top and Bx+C is the remainder you get from dividing.
Reply 188
Original post by Thechillyone
http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gceasa/qp-ms/AQA-MPC4-W-QP-JAN08.PDF

Can anyone help with question 2b) ? I always get confused when i do this type of question. And gooood luccck guys :smile:

That's an improper fraction so you do long division and then you have quotient + remainder/divisor.
Reply 189
hey(: Do we need to learn the triple angle equations? ...cos I remember doing them at school, but I haven't seen any in past papers(:
Reply 190
Original post by Oromis263
Just did this paper, that bit was a little sneaky, I'll spoiler my method:

Spoiler

Thought it would be something like that, just could figure out the steps :tongue:

What did you get in the paper?
Reply 191
Original post by sydney07
hey(: Do we need to learn the triple angle equations? ...cos I remember doing them at school, but I haven't seen any in past papers(:

I've seen it in the june 2005 paper, it wasn't too bad. You can just use what you know about double angles to work it out.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 192
Can someone help me with this vector question please. It seem pretty straight forward, dunno if i'm missing something here but i keep getting the wrong answer :s-smilie:

Triangle PQR is defined by points P (5, -3, 1), Q (-2, 1, 5) and R (9,5,0). Find the angles of the triangle.
Reply 193
Question guys.

http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gceasa/qp-ms/AQA-MPC4-W-QP-JUN08.PDF
http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gceasa/qp-ms/AQA-MPC4-W-MS-JUN08.PDF

Question 8.a.i
I don't understand the method mark?
I just write down the answer as dy/dx = -kx
What does the mark scheme mean by p dy/dx = q
Where p and q are functions?

Reply 194
Original post by ao_mango
Can someone help me with this vector question please. It seem pretty straight forward, dunno if i'm missing something here but i keep getting the wrong answer :s-smilie:

Triangle PQR is defined by points P (5, -3, 1), Q (-2, 1, 5) and R (9,5,0). Find the angles of the triangle.

45 degrees?

Find QP. Then QR

(QP)(QR) = Distance of QP x Distance of QR x cos (theta)
I got
81 = √81 √162 Cos(theta)

Did it really quickly, so probably a mistake or two in there somewhere.
Original post by ao_mango

Find QP and QR and use the a.b formula to calculate the angle. :smile:
Reply 196
Original post by Cath-ay
I've seen it in the june 2005 paper, it wasn't too bad. You can just use what you know about double angles to work it out.

Ahh right okay, thank you(:
Reply 197
Sorry if someone has already explained, but could somebody help me with question 7c, June 2010.

I don't know how you can work out both solutions, I only come out with one and the mark scheme seems to be confusing. I understand that you need to manipulate the info given, that AC=PB but HOW do you know to use BOTH AC=PB AND AP=BC. Surely they should given the same result? Help appreciated.

http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-MPC4-W-QP-JUN10.PDF
Reply 198
Original post by jammysmt
Sorry if someone has already explained, but could somebody help me with question 7c, June 2010.

I don't know how you can work out both solutions, I only come out with one and the mark scheme seems to be confusing. I understand that you need to manipulate the info given, that AC=PB but HOW do you know to use BOTH AC=PB AND AP=BC. Surely they should given the same result? Help appreciated.

I'm really struggling with this area of vectors too. I don't understand how adding or subtracting vectors gives coordinates. There seems to be no where that covers this topic.
Original post by jammysmt

I'll do the question and post a picture

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending