The Student Room Group

The "I'm scared I'm going to miss my offer" thread

Scroll to see replies

I'm scared that if I call up my insurance asking if I can defer one year they'll take away my offer. I know it's stupid but I can't help thinking that might happen
Original post by Purehakkai
I'm scared that if I call up my insurance asking if I can defer one year they'll take away my offer. I know it's stupid but I can't help thinking that might happen

You don't need to worry, they can't remove your offer just because you've asked that :smile: The worst that can come of asking is that they simply say no, they won't defer it.
Hey everyone..

I was offered a place at the University of Aberdeen for the International Relations course. The offer is subject to me obtaining 85% in my "Diploma di Esame di Stato" (It's an italian exam) and 6.0 in my IELTS (International English Language Testing System).
I obtained 82% in my "Diploma di Esame di Stato" and 7.0 in IELTS.
Even if I have not quite achieved the required grades do you think they may consider my offer and confirm my place?
My teachers were very unfair and tried it all to push me down, in order for me to not study abroad. I really would like to demonstrate that I'm worth it.

Thanks
Original post by EtoileNoir
Hey everyone..

I was offered a place at the University of Aberdeen for the International Relations course. The offer is subject to me obtaining 85% in my "Diploma di Esame di Stato" (It's an italian exam) and 6.0 in my IELTS (International English Language Testing System).
Even if I have not quite achieved the required grades do you think they may consider my offer and confirm my place?
My teachers were very unfair and tried it all to push me down, in order for me to not study abroad. I really would like to demonstrate that I'm worth it.

Thanks

Depends on how everyone else did

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Jack22031994
Depends on how everyone else did

You mean the other applicants?
You mean the other applicants?

Yeah,

Eg if a lot of people miss their offer there is more chance to get in if you miss your offer but if a lot meet or exceed their offer there might not key you in, however as if you got s higher. English test score than asked it MIGHT nit matter but I dint know how the language test works as I of course I don't need it

Original post by Jack22031994
Yeah,

Eg if a lot of people miss their offer there is more chance to get in if you miss your offer but if a lot meet or exceed their offer there might not key you in, however as if you got s higher. English test score than asked it MIGHT nit matter but I dint know how the language test works as I of course I don't need it

Oh, I get it...But it's so unfair... 3 percent is really not so much. And really, the italian system is so different from the English system (or the Scottish).
The point is that teachers here assign grades to students basing themselves on preferences.
Reply 587
Hey everyone..

Thanks

Have you spoken to them yet?
Original post by Gales
Have you spoken to them yet?

I sent them an email... But I'm so worried. They destroyed my dream..
Reply 589
hi guys, just quick question, i want to start my list of unis and courses that i might have to apply to through clearing and i was just wondering,
is this the most recent clearing numbers?
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki..._Directory_-_B
I fell short of my offer in a really annoying way-- I needed 37 pts and 666 HL (I did IB) and I got 40 points and 775. I've applied for linguistics and got the 7s in languages though, so maybe not all is lost..? Does anybody know how competitive linguistics is in general, and in Edinburgh in particular?

Also, I tried calling the general admissions office and they said to just wait because there's so many results coming in, but that I could also contact the specific department if needed. I've already e-mailed her with the results; is there any sense in calling? (I don't speak formal English very often and get really nervous on the phone, so would it potentially ruin my chances even more if I call?)
Original post by curseofthepirates
I fell short of my offer in a really annoying way-- I needed 37 pts and 666 HL (I did IB) and I got 40 points and 775. I've applied for linguistics and got the 7s in languages though, so maybe not all is lost..? Does anybody know how competitive linguistics is in general, and in Edinburgh in particular?

Linguistics at Edinburgh (as with any other subject at Edinburgh) is competitive as its one of the best undergraduate linguistics courses in the UK and in general, Edinburgh do not let people in who missed their offer. Doing well in languages is irrelevant to studying linguistics, it isn't about learning languages, as you will know.

Also, I tried calling the general admissions office and they said to just wait because there's so many results coming in, but that I could also contact the specific department if needed. I've already e-mailed her with the results; is there any sense in calling? (I don't speak formal English very often and get really nervous on the phone, so would it potentially ruin my chances even more if I call?)

If you've already contacted the LEL school with your results then there's no point in phoning them unless you do not receive a reply. At this stage they will either reject you outright (ie: they do not have a place, end of story) or they will tell you that they can not tell you if they have a place until the A level results day on 16th August. They will not accept you right now if you've missed your offer.

At this stage I would start considering options for other universities in clearing whilst you wait for Edinburgh. With your grades you're in a strong position to find a place at English universities (where the student number controls are different to Scotland) so I would recommend contacting other universities with strong reputations in linguistics, such as Manchester, Lancaster and Leeds to see if they will have any availability in clearing. QMUL also have a strong reputation and often take clearing students. If you're only interested in Scottish universities due to the fee situation, then you will struggle more to find a place as there are fewer linguistics departments.

(My undergraduate degree was linguistics. I went to Edinburgh.)
Original post by oxymoronic
Linguistics at Edinburgh (as with any other subject at Edinburgh) is competitive as its one of the best undergraduate linguistics courses in the UK and in general, Edinburgh do not let people in who missed their offer. Doing well in languages is irrelevant to studying linguistics, it isn't about learning languages, as you will know.

If you've already contacted the LEL school with your results then there's no point in phoning them unless you do not receive a reply. At this stage they will either reject you outright (ie: they do not have a place, end of story) or they will tell you that they can not tell you if they have a place until the A level results day on 16th August. They will not accept you right now if you've missed your offer.

At this stage I would start considering options for other universities in clearing whilst you wait for Edinburgh. With your grades you're in a strong position to find a place at English universities (where the student number controls are different to Scotland) so I would recommend contacting other universities with strong reputations in linguistics, such as Manchester, Lancaster and Leeds to see if they will have any availability in clearing. QMUL also have a strong reputation and often take clearing students. If you're only interested in Scottish universities due to the fee situation, then you will struggle more to find a place as there are fewer linguistics departments.

(My undergraduate degree was linguistics. I went to Edinburgh.)

Thanks for the information!

Yeah, I know linguistics has very little to do with the language stuff I had to learn for the IB, but I do believe it still looks better that I got a 7 there than a 5... xD (and an A in my weird-actually-German-linguistics-related Extended Essay!)

Leeds is actually my insurance, and I got in with no problem. Buuut because of the fees, I'm wondering whether it isn't easier to just apply for Vienna like the rest of my friends. Closer to home, less stress, costs around 24 euros a year, etc. Thing is that they accept everyone with 24 IB points (they kick everyone out later), so I'd feel stupid having tried for 40 haha... (+ the courses are in German, which is my third language...)

Anyway, right now I hope they just tell me SOMETHING, and if they say to wait for August, eh well you can apply for Vienna until September so...
Reply 593
i may miss my offer by about 20 points or so and i dont think my course is high in demand (business and digital media communications at Buckinghamshire) so hopefully i will still be let in and i have hope now ive seen that many uni's have let students in!
Original post by cain_93
i may miss my offer by about 20 points or so and i dont think my course is high in demand (business and digital media communications at Buckinghamshire) so hopefully i will still be let in and i have hope now ive seen that many uni's have let students in!

Remember, depends on what everyone else on your course gets too, good luck!

[QUOTE="curseofthepirates;38574046"]Thanks for the information!

Yeah, I know linguistics has very little to do with the language stuff I had to learn for the IB, but I do believe it still looks better that I got a 7 there than a 5... xD (and an A in my weird-actually-German-linguistics-related Extended Essay!)

Leeds is actually my insurance, and I got in with no problem. Buuut because of the fees, I'm wondering whether it isn't easier to just apply for Vienna like the rest of my friends. Closer to home, less stress, costs around 24 euros a year, etc. Thing is that they accept everyone with 24 IB points (they kick everyone out later), so I'd feel stupid having tried for 40 haha... (+ the courses are in German, which is my third language...)

Entry requirements don't really tell you the real "value" or ranking of the university. It isn't as though somewhere wanting 40 IB points is so much more amazing than somewhere wanting 35 IB points. In the UK entry requirements are basically a marketing currency, nothing more. A university will make a particular offer based on how popular their university is, how popular/competitive the actual subject is (as some subjects just do not have a currency higher than a particular grade) and then things like how elite the university wants to be seen as and the typical offers made by their competitors. At the end of the day a university wants a student to accept their offer. If Edinburgh gave you an offer of 24 IB points whilst Glasgow wanted 40 IB points then it wouldn't make you think "wow Edinburgh is a great university" as like you've said it makes you think "they accept everyone" and you'd be likely to think that Edinburgh was a lot worse than Glasgow because they were playing in a lower currency. This means you're more likely to put Glasgow as your firm choice. On the other hand if both universities give you an IB offer of 40 points then it will make you consider them on the same scale but then if Glasgow then increased their requirements to 41 points it might mean that some students will put Glasgow as their firm and Edinburgh as their insurance because "it makes sense", which is what Glasgow want you to do. In short universities quite simply can not offer a low currency if their competitors have a high currency, which leads to grade inflation in offer making. Less than 10 years ago the only universities in the UK who made A level offers of AAA were Oxford and Cambridge. Everyone else (Durham, London unis) made offers of AAB or lower. In 2005 I applied to UCL and had an offer for BBB. The same course now has entry requirements of AAA. Has UCL and that course become much much better? No it hasn't at all. However, over time universities have started to increase their requirements meaning to be competitive *everyone* has to do it. Once you get Durham also asking for AAA then other unis think "hang on, if they can ask for those grades then so can we" meaning now we're in a position where people are getting A*AA offers for courses which 5 years ago would have taken a student with ABB.

In other countries, Austria included, admissions don't work in the same manner because there isn't as much of a financial gain for a university. Like you say, studying at Vienna is really not expensive so there's no financial motivation for Vienna to try and persuade you to attend and there's also a smaller pool of competitor universities because a lot of people simply attend Vienna because it's their local university. You can't compare the entry requirements of a university like Vienna with universities in the UK, it's a completely different environment with totally different market influences. Vienna is a good university - I have friends from my year abroad who were students there (doing psychology) who speak very highly of it and one of my best friends (who was studying at Cambridge) studied linguistics at Vienna for her year abroad as part of her German degree. She also holds the university in very high regard and said the classes she took there were very interesting and challenging. She certainly didn't see it as somewhere "stupid" that she shouldn't be at because she had high enough grades for Cambridge.
Original post by oxymoronic

In other countries, Austria included, admissions don't work in the same manner because there isn't as much of a financial gain for a university. Like you say, studying at Vienna is really not expensive so there's no financial motivation for Vienna to try and persuade you to attend and there's also a smaller pool of competitor universities because a lot of people simply attend Vienna because it's their local university. You can't compare the entry requirements of a university like Vienna with universities in the UK, it's a completely different environment with totally different market influences. Vienna is a good university - I have friends from my year abroad who were students there (doing psychology) who speak very highly of it and one of my best friends (who was studying at Cambridge) studied linguistics at Vienna for her year abroad as part of her German degree. She also holds the university in very high regard and said the classes she took there were very interesting and challenging. She certainly didn't see it as somewhere "stupid" that she shouldn't be at because she had high enough grades for Cambridge.

Thanks for the information again! But I think you misunderstood me-- I'm not saying Vienna is not a good university because it accepts people with 24 points (Austria generally seperates university and non-university people at age 10 anyway), I'm saying that there was no point in me spending my time studying for the IB if I end up going to Vienna, as I could have honestly done a lot less work and still passed. (I mean, with my weird school which concentrates mostly on the Austrian Matura and gives me only 2-3 hours of each IB subject per week (and an additional 2 hours of sport, art, ethics, Latin, geography, psychology, etc.), it was honestly pretty difficult/unlikely to be able to compete positively on a world level anyway haha... I guess I just feel stupid for trying?)

Anyway, I'm guessing your friend's mother tongue isn't German? If so, then hey! at least I can assume I'll be able to muddle through the classes somehow until I pick up the vocabulary needed...

Ah well, when I called Edinburgh they said I'm on some kind of 'possible students' shortlist, so I guess I'll just wait for now... ^^
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 597
hi, I just received my IB result, I got 5 in physics HL, 6 in chemistry HL and 7 in maths HL, 7 in language B HL, i did meet the condition of 776 in highers, but not total score 40, (only have 37), do i still have chance??? is chemical engineering popular in Downing, Cambridge??

thanks for any advice....!
Reply 598
Original post by 526540828
hi, I just received my IB result, I got 5 in physics HL, 6 in chemistry HL and 7 in maths HL, 7 in language B HL, i did meet the condition of 776 in highers, but not total score 40, (only have 37), do i still have chance??? is chemical engineering popular in Downing, Cambridge??

thanks for any advice....!
Unless the university has already turned you down flat (which they could have done) yes you still 'have a chance' - but how big a chance is impossible to say. It isn't a question of how 'popular' a course is at a particular college - it will depend on how everyone else across the university who is holding an offer for that course turns out to have done. If others have missed their offer by a wider margin, it is possible that you will get your place, but not necessarily at Downing. Check out the Cambridge website for information about how their Summer Pool works. See here. Remember, though, that not everyone who misses their offer gets pooled; some will receive a rejection by Results Day, once the colleges have seen how the A level students have performed (all unis receive the A level results a few days before the students do).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 599
Hi, I received my results on the 6th July, like all of you, and I missed my firm choice offer by 2 points, but got the 7,6,6 in HL... I did make my insurance choice offer. Is it just me that hasn't received any information from either university yet?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending