The Student Room Group

The "I'm scared I'm going to miss my offer" thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NaturalAndReal
Wondering if anybody know when clreaing lists go live? I've got it in my head that it's midnight of the 16th, but i'm not sure...

I read somewhere that it goes live on midnight :smile:
Original post by xxxxkrishyxxxx
I read somewhere that it goes live on midnight :smile:

It must do otherwise how would the telegraph print it in them in time

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by alcimedes
my brother missed his med school offer 2 years ago by around 15 ums. he did the priority remark/ the school sent letters etc. he didn't get his place but they and did allow him to reapply which is unusual for med schools and he resat a couple of modules . he started med school last September. his advice is-be organised. he used his gcse /As and ukcat results to show the one exam he messed up was a fluke ( and the school sent details of how badly his whole year did in it). have ready anything that could help your case.I get my results this year and I need at least 1A* I'm getting details together in case I need to argue my caae/do clearing. some unis are already listing courses they have spaces in ( eg Manchester) so I'm doing a list of which courses I would want if they are in clearing/ reasons why they might want me.

Sorry about this, but do you know the actual grade he got in the unit he messed up as I'd just like an idea to compare to my situation :colondollar:
I can actually feel my heart quicken when I think about results day. Is a D too much to ask?!
I completely messed up my exams, I've been predicted 3 A's with Geography, Eng Lit and Maths, which seemed realistic for Geog/Eng...although I just blanked out in both of those exams :frown:
In two of my geography modules I've even achieved over 90%, so I was aiming for the A*, however I just didn't finish in time barely answering the large 40 mark question at the end...the more infuriating thing is that we had the 40 mark question for a homework once, and I got 37/40 on it and in the actual exam I just sqeezed out a page and a half ... ugh

The same happened with English, in the second half of the paper you are supposed to write about three texts you have studied and I barely fit two in due to not sticking to time conditions and having too many periods of blankly staring at the paper... So after all that I'm not sure if I will get the A's in geog/eng which will of course be extremely detrimental to my grades and aghgcsyvcuia8y0t4hikbw
Original post by ninegrandstudent
I'm still convinced I've failed...everyone keeps telling me I'll be fine (and I WISH they'd stop) but I won't be.

I hate hate hate myself for it, it was one exam I've screwed up and this is going to mess up everything for me. I was well prepared for it (getting 90%+ on past papers the night before) and it was an okay paper, I *just* had a panic attack. I only needed around 50% for an A overall and I don't think I answered enough to make this. It's absolutely destroying me.

I have no clue what I'll do if I don't get in, it's unlikely I'll find something through clearing that I'll want to do. I have no money for a gap year. And I simply cannot spend another year at home, my family will drive me insane!

Two hours back in June has most likely screwed up my life, seriously don't know what to do.

This is EXACTLY how I feel. People just assume that I'm overreacting when I talk about how badly my exam went because of my previous track record, but I genuinely think that I haven't done enough to get what I need to get an A overall. I guess we can only hope for now, so good luck for the 16th anyway :smile:
Original post by Rikku Kisaragi
I completely messed up my exams, I've been predicted 3 A's with Geography, Eng Lit and Maths, which seemed realistic for Geog/Eng...although I just blanked out in both of those exams :frown:
In two of my geography modules I've even achieved over 90%, so I was aiming for the A*, however I just didn't finish in time barely answering the large 40 mark question at the end...the more infuriating thing is that we had the 40 mark question for a homework once, and I got 37/40 on it and in the actual exam I just sqeezed out a page and a half ... ugh

The same happened with English, in the second half of the paper you are supposed to write about three texts you have studied and I barely fit two in due to not sticking to time conditions and having too many periods of blankly staring at the paper... So after all that I'm not sure if I will get the A's in geog/eng which will of course be extremely detrimental to my grades and aghgcsyvcuia8y0t4hikbw

SAME! I worked so hard for my English and psychology and everything just fell apart in the exams. I need AAA as well. :frown:
Reply 787
This is panic: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=38919929&highlight=

srsly someone help me if you do eng lit or sociology :frown:?
Original post by Rabah_K
This is panic: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=38919929&highlight=

srsly someone help me if you do eng lit or sociology :frown:?

Just try to forget about your exams for the next few days. I know that's impossible to do but at this stage, working out whether you have or haven't been awarded certain marks is going to do nothing other than make you worry even more as there's nothing you can actually do to change what's happened. It's done now and even if you spend all of your time between now and next week analysing every single aspect of the answers you still won't change the result. No one can tell you where an A* is likely to have come from, particularly in arts subjects because they're so open to interpretation anyway.

The things you've read in the papers are unlikely to make a difference. Each year there's a lot of scaring around results and the papers like a big story. It'd be boring if they gave some news and said "there will be very little impact on anyone as a result of this" so they have to make it sound like a big scary situation when in reality, if you've done well you will always do well.
Reply 789
Original post by confused dot com
I can actually feel my heart quicken when I think about results day. Is a D too much to ask?!

This! I'm hoping for a D in Chemistry, seriously, a D would get me into Uni.
Original post by NaturalAndReal
Wondering if anybody know when clreaing lists go live? I've got it in my head that it's midnight of the 16th, but i'm not sure...

Love getting negged for absolutely no reason. :wink:
Reply 791
Worst situation for me is getting a C in Economics and A*s in the other subjects where I need AAB including Economics to get into uni. Ugh that'd be terrible.
Reply 792
The accommodation i've secured has a policy whereby if i change my mind about living there after the 1st august (e.g. i fail to get into the Uni i want) i still have to pay the entire sum of £4257. So basically, if i dont get into my Firm choice, I've wasted 4 grand. Yeah i'm scared basically.
Original post by SJC_94
The accommodation i've secured has a policy whereby if i change my mind about living there after the 1st august (e.g. i fail to get into the Uni i want) i still have to pay the entire sum of £4257. So basically, if i dont get into my Firm choice, I've wasted 4 grand. Yeah i'm scared basically.

That cannot be right?? Thats crazy!! Wheres your firm??

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my LT18i
Reply 794
Original post by SJC_94
I very much doubt that you would be held to that if you failed to meet your offer and the uni decided not to give you your place.
Original post by SJC_94

no pressure
I've got a conditional offer at Leeds through the Access to Leeds scheme due to medical issues etc, which means my offer has gone from AAB to BBB.

In two subjects I'm fairly confident that I've at least got Bs in them, but in Economics I really struggled because in AS we had a bad teacher (not just blaming the teacher to 'pass the buck', as my school wrote in our references to the universities that our poor grades were due to her insufficient teaching and she was replaced), but I felt A2 was difficult as I didn't learn enough from AS. I didn't do really badly, I guess, as I got a B in one module and a C in the other, which I retook and got a B, but in my A2 exams one module went fairly badly.

Do you think Leeds would still let me in, taking all of this in mind, as well as the fact I'm on the scheme, say if my results were AAC or ABC ... or even BBC?

It's a long story but I don't really have a backup ... so I'm desperate to get in! :s-smilie:

x
Reply 797
Who could say, only the university could make that decision and even they won't be able to tell you till results day.

Anyway you may still get the grades :smile:
I just calculated the grade I need for a final grade B and I failed.
So I 100% missed out on the required grade.
What I can do is to prepare well on result day and get ready for making numerous calls haha
I'm in a similar position, I've got a reduced offer of BBC through Access to Leeds and I think I might have got BCC. One of the C's should be really close to a B if I've worked it out right, so if I have missed out it hopefully won't be by much.

When I went up on the Open Day last summer and spoke directly to the admissions tutor for physics and explained that due to medical problems I might not get the grades, he said that I shouldn't worry, if they believe the passion for the subject is there, they'll let me in. I hope he's true to his word, there's nothing in the world I want more!

I just hope that because we have lower offers already that won't make them immediately discard our applications if we've missed out. I saw in the paper that Leeds applications are down 9% this year, maybe that'll work in our favour?

Good luck to you though, whatever happens on Thursday!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending