The Student Room Group

Do you lock your bedroom door at uni?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Wow, after reading everyone saying they lock their rooms if they leave the block, I feel a bit weird never locking my door... I only ever lock it if I'm away for the weekend somewhere. I live in student accommodation with 5 other people, with two auto-lock doors, so that might be why. I just assumed more people would leave theirs unlocked...
Reply 101
I lost my key, so my door stayed permanently unlocked.

I can't understand people who lock their doors, what if people want to use your stuff while you're at a lecture?
My door locks automatically when I close it, but sometimes I leave my door ajar in case someone wants to talk to me. I usually close/lock it though because my staircase has no main door so essentially tourists can just wander up to where I live :lolwut:
I don't lock it to go to the shower/toilet/kitchen etc, though I lock it at night or when I'm leaving my floor, even to go to another part of college. My room is on the top floor of the building and at the end of a corridor so I don't get a lot of people passing by it a lot or anything.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 104
I used to lock my room when i was in the toilet/shower (i had a ensuite), not because i didnt trust my housemates not to steal my stuff but because we used to do childish things like clingfilm stuff, or steal light bulbs, or leave the hoover in people's showers, stuff like that, and couldnt guarantee that they werent gona suddenly run in to make me jump or something
Original post by py0alb
I lost my key, so my door stayed permanently unlocked.

I can't understand people who lock their doors, what if people want to use your stuff while you're at a lecture?

Do you really think the kind of people who always keep their door locked are the kind of people who would let others go in and out of their room using their stuff as they pleased? I highly doubt it.

I only lock my door if I'm going to be away for a long time, but it makes perfect sense for people to lock their doors when they go out. For the exact same reason the front door of the house is always locked. The one thing I do find ridiculously bizarre however are the people who leave the room locked 24/7, whether they are in there or not.
Reply 106
I rarely locked my room in uni but I guess it was a risk. Probably thrives target student accommodation for the ease of access... And high value relative to weight goods.

Posted from TSR Mobile
At first I would like my door all the time when I went out whether it be down the hallway to the kitchen, bathroom or out shopping and night. It's just because everyone is new...you don't trust new people because you don't know what they are like. A few weeks into the year and I only lock it when I'm asleep or have left the building. :smile:
Nope
Reply 109
Original post by Village Whisper
I was going to post this in the Accommodation bit, but the question is more to do with trust I guess so it's here instead.

Basically, when do you lock your bedroom at uni? Assuming your door has a lock, of course. Probably when going out, but when else?

More specifically, what did you do when you first moved into uni halls and didn't know your flatmates? After all, although it'd be very nice to trust them all straight away, they are essentially strangers that you're suddenly living with. For those of you without an ensuite, did/do you lock your bedroom door when you go to the shared showers? (Showers more so than toilets, since you'd take longer).

I'll be starting uni this year, and it's likely that I won't have an ensuite. I'm not overly suspicious or anything, but I might have the misfortune to be living with someone less-than-trustworthy and I'm not sure how I'd feel about leaving my door unlocked (again, particularly when in the shower). Surely I can't be the only one thinking this...It's common sense, isn't it? How does everyone else feel?

Lock it every time you leave the room. Seriously, better safe than sorry.
Reply 110
I lock my door all the time. Mostly because I don't trust the majority of my flatmates. They also like to leave the flat door unlocked, so pretty much everyone from the building can just walk in. Noooo, thank you.
last year i locked my door if i was leaving my flat, this year i can only lock my room door from the inside anyway which I never bother to do as I trust my flatmates.
Reply 112
I don't lock my room when I'm in the shower/toilet or when I'm in the communal area in my flat.
I lock my room when I'm out of my flat. I only started locking my room at night, after an incident where my drunk flatmate walked in while I was asleep...
I never lock my room unless I'm sleeping or specifically don't want to be disturbed. Maybe I'm too trusting, who knows... but nothing's gone missing just yet :biggrin:
I live in a studio flat in halls, and our doors all have electronic-y locking things, so it locks itself. There is like a little catch thing (so staff or whatever can't get in) which I lock at night. :smile:
When I am out, of course. I trust my flatmates but I wouldn't know who they might bring back. Also, in case someone breaks into the corridor, I want my room protected.

I lock it when I am in the kitchen, cooking dinner. My room is the first when you walk in. Sometimes the main door is kept unlocked, so again I don't know who might walk in.

When I am in the room I try to leave it unlocked, as it is a bit awkward if someone knocks on my door and I have to unlock it! It feels like I don't trust them. I obviously lock it at night, when I'm changing and when I'm in my bathroom.

In freshers' week I left my door wide open as I didn't want to shut myself off to other people.

I would advise locking it until you feel comfortable. It took my flatmates a few weeks before they could leave it unlocked when they weren't in there.
Reply 116
Literally only ever locked my door when going back home/weekends away. My door was always open.
I have an en-suite, times when I lock my door are -

- When I'm in the shower (don't want people seeing me in the nuddy :colondollar: )
- If I leave the flat
- Sometimes at night.

If I know one of my flatmates is having a party (we all got on ok, but we had friends from different courses), I'll lock it when I'm in there because I don't want one of their mates just storming my room. Sometimes it'd be locked at night, other times it wouldn't be - no rhyme or reason, just if I forgot or not.

Unless there was someone in the flat I didn't like (a couple of flatmates' friends), it'd stay open if I was just going to the kitchen or lounge (not open open, but unlocked). In our halls, you need a key card to get into the building, and then the keycard only opens the door to your flat and your room, so people couldn't just wander in and out of each flat.
Always if I'm out, taking a shower, getting changed, going downstairs, or if I'm asleep.
If I just went to the loo for a few minutes I usually didn't bother as long as I took my phone with me in my pocket.

I once had some drunk dude banging on my door at 4am, moaning and groaning, because he thought it was his room and was wondering why the key didn't work :biggrin: Needless to say, I'm VERY glad I locked it when I went to sleep THAT night!!!
Anyone who left their room open in my halls got trolled to the extreme. Paper cups, empty bottles, balloons etc all placed in the room, all possessions cling filmed or furniture was removed and put in the kitchen/common room. Plus the mandatory frape.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending