The Student Room Group

Studying Medicine or Dentistry in Ireland. Fees?

Hi, I'm interested in applying to UCC (University College Cork) and TCD (Trinity College Dublin).

I'll be a mature student when I apply (aged 24) and was wondering if anyone knows how much I will have to pay and whether I'm eligible for any help. I've tried having a look on their websites, but they aren't the most user friendly. I just about found my way to the subject sections with the entry requirements.

Costs in terms of the GBP (£) would be good.

Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Fees are just abit higher, but its harder to get in to an Irish Uni than a British or Scottish Uni, as their equivalent of UCAS points is like A* A* A (including maths as you get 25 bonus points) not sure about graduate entry
Reply 2
I'd be classed a mature student, and they take all factors into account e.g. work experience, life experience, academia. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere they wouldn't expect you to have the A*A*A grades.

Ok So I've found the fees:

EUR 9, 424 for TCD (per year)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
UCC:

http://www.ucc.ie/en/study/undergrad/cost/

Doesn't say the amount for tuition fees?
Reply 4
It's 2000 Euros if it's a first degree.

For grad entry I'm not sure though. I think you pay the full fee - which is ~ 13000 Euros - but I think there are loans available from certain designated Irish banks to cover this. I'd appreciate it if anyone could clarify this.....
Reply 5
Original post by happyhands
It's 2000 Euros if it's a first degree.

For grad entry I'm not sure though. I think you pay the full fee - which is ~ 13000 Euros - but I think there are loans available from certain designated Irish banks to cover this. I'd appreciate it if anyone could clarify this.....

It wouldn't be for grad entry (4 year), I'd be applying with a degree to the 5 year UG Dentistry course as a mature student. I live in England.
Reply 6
Original post by bigbottle
It wouldn't be for grad entry (4 year), I'd be applying with a degree to the 5 year UG Dentistry course as a mature student. I live in England.

OK, then it's 2000 euros a year. The Irish government pay the rest, as long as you're an EU citizen.
Reply 7
OK, then it's 2000 euros a year. The Irish government pay the rest, as long as you're an EU citizen.

Wow that's cheap isn't it. Definitely applying there now.

But I'd still have to pay around 9000 euros for Trinity College Dublin? Or would the Irish government partially pay that too?
Reply 8
Wow that's cheap isn't it. Definitely applying there now.

But I'd still have to pay around 9000 euros for Trinity College Dublin? Or would the Irish government partially pay that too?

2000 euros still. At least that's what it says here.....

http://www.tcd.ie/Treasurers_Office/fees/UG_EU_Fees_2011-12.pdf
Reply 9
2000 euros still. At least that's what it says here.....

http://www.tcd.ie/Treasurers_Office/fees/UG_EU_Fees_2011-12.pdf

So the ''tuition'' amount is covered by the Irish government?
Reply 10
So the ''tuition'' amount is covered by the Irish government?

Yup. At least all but 2000 euros of it.....
Reply 11
Yup. At least all but 2000 euros of it.....

Why did I not know about this before? If more grads knew about this, they'd apply to Ireland.
Reply 12
Why did I not know about this before? If more grads knew about this, they'd apply to Ireland.

Sounds good doesn't it? However factor in 2000 euros every year with no tuition loan system, plus and the other fees (admin, it etc) plus Dublin living costs and no maintenance loan system. It roughly evens itself out.
Reply 13
Original post by gozatron
Sounds good doesn't it? However factor in 2000 euros every year with no tuition loan system, plus and the other fees (admin, it etc) plus Dublin living costs and no maintenance loan system. It roughly evens itself out.

Let's hope I get into UCC then, which has cheaper living costs. :biggrin:
You CAN apply for a grant once you're here three years so that will cover some of your course. However it has been cut and is delayed, especially in Dublin, but even so. Your final year of medicine- work placement, is paid. Obviously you can't get a job with courses like that which is how plenty of students doing 8-20 hours or so courses balance out the higher cost of living because minimum wage is much higher here, though jobs are harder to get than ever. With Trinity you can cut costs massively if you househare or live in old-fashioned parts of Dublin that don't command high prices, like Crumlin, James Street, Inchicore, Marino, Drumcondra. All have a very easy commute, James Street is actually walkable (AND very near the main teaching hospital, St. James). Our lovely recapitalised banks are not giving out loans, especially not to students with no income. Overdrafts may be possible though.
Reply 15

I'm not entirely sure that grads do get subsidized fees. Perhaps someone who is in a better position to know can clarify this point? Perhaps even a grad med student in Eire.....?
Let's hope I get into UCC then, which has cheaper living costs. :biggrin:

Hey, did you apply to TDC for dentistry then? I'm curious to know as I want to do the same, too.
I am a British citizen studying graduate medicine in Dublin and want to clarify a few of the points made on this thread:

1. Grad med courses cost EU students 14,000-18,000 eur per year in tuition, depending on what medical school you are at. (The total cost is actually 25,000 eur per year, however the Irish government pays the difference directly to the medical school as they subsidise the fees).

2. There are grad med bank loans from Ulster Bank, AIB, BOI but these are only for Irish citizens. If you are a British citizen or from somewhere else in the EU then unfortunately the banks won't lend you any money. Trust me, I have tried...

3. Regarding the final year of medicine being a paid work placement, this is definitely not the case at my university and I dont think it would the case elsewhere either.

4. Working part time - It is not the norm but a small minority of students do. I have worked 20 hours a week though 3 years of medical school so far. It can be tough at times but certainly achievable if you have good time management

Happy to answer any other questions you might have.
Original post by inthevale
I am a British citizen studying graduate medicine in Dublin and want to clarify a few of the points made on this thread:

1. Grad med courses cost EU students 14,000-18,000 eur per year in tuition, depending on what medical school you are at. (The total cost is actually 25,000 eur per year, however the Irish government pays the difference directly to the medical school as they subsidise the fees).

2. There are grad med bank loans from Ulster Bank, AIB, BOI but these are only for Irish citizens. If you are a British citizen or from somewhere else in the EU then unfortunately the banks won't lend you any money. Trust me, I have tried...

3. Regarding the final year of medicine being a paid work placement, this is definitely not the case at my university and I dont think it would the case elsewhere either.

4. Working part time - It is not the norm but a small minority of students do. I have worked 20 hours a week though 3 years of medical school so far. It can be tough at times but certainly achievable if you have good time management

Happy to answer any other questions you might have.

What's the craic with entry tests? Did you do the HPAT or the GAMSAT? I'm looking to study dentistry, going to apply to the undergraduate program with a degree
I would like to know how much it cost for Dentistry in Dublin. How much would it cost per annum?How long is the course. How much of practical work?What are the requirements to qualify?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending