The Student Room Group

Girls who shave

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
It definitely is a lot harder when you're younger and have less of an independent outlook. I'd say you should make a choice depending on just how visible the hairs are - as in are they noticeable by people standing 1-2 metres away?
Anyway yeah I'm relatively up for just being comfortable and doing what you want. I think as you get older, you get more confident and accepting of yourself. I must admit, I do shave (not obsessively but relatively regularly) but I leave my arms like gorillas lool. They do look quite manly and dark but dunno, life's too short.
Obviously being smooth and hairless can make your skin seem softer and more attractive (I hate to say more feminine as clearly shaving is not natural) but any man that INSISTS on impeccable grooming at all times is not worth your time, seriously. It's quite an immature attitude to be honest. However, at the same time, if hair removal is not a particular hassle for you (time/money/pain wise) then I don't think it's a great idea to march about purposefully not conforming and having bushy armpits and legs!
Original post by im so academic

They don't have to tell me. I know they are thinking it.

Which only emphasises the fact that you must have a warped, irrational and negative view of yourself. How do you know they are thinking it?

But you know, I feel like that sometimes. Namely, that I must be ugly and everyone else must be lying. But I get out of these moods and if I'm in one, I pretend I don't feel like that.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by HolyFuzazzle
Which only emphasises the fact that you must have a warped, irrational and negative view of yourself. How do you know they are thinking it?

Because I'm ugly to everyone (especially men).
Because I'm ugly to everyone (especially men).

You're not properly answering my question. Do men call you ugly?
Ah well, I'm bored now.

You're not properly answering my question. Do men call you ugly?
Ah well, I'm bored now.

No, but that doesn't mean it isn't true.
No, but that doesn't mean it isn't true.

Urgh. Then adequately explain why you think it's true without anyone saying anything.

Urgh. Then adequately explain why you think it's true without anyone saying anything.

You can tell from their preferences in women that I wouldn't be what they consider attractive.
You can tell from their preferences in women that I wouldn't be what they consider attractive.

So... You must have come to this conclusion either due to being rejected by boys you've been interested in, or comparing your own self to women in the media or whatever who are seen as beautiful.
I think what you have to realise is that most men recognise that the images that are presented to us aren't women that most men can realistically attain. That, and people find different things attractive, and there will definitely be people who find you attractive.

Reply 208
To be honest, I found my peers judgemental at fourteen too. But you will probably only have to wait a couple of years until people stop caring.
So... You must have come to this conclusion either due to being rejected by boys you've been interested in, or comparing your own self to women in the media or whatever who are seen as beautiful.
I think what you have to realise is that most men recognise that the images that are presented to us aren't women that most men can realistically attain. That, and people find different things attractive, and there will definitely be people who find you attractive.

Isn't that the point of true love? It's not realistic to expect every women to look like girls in magazines, but when a boy meets "the one" - that's all that matters.

No, no one will find me attractive. I wish. I really do wish.
Isn't that the point of true love? It's not realistic to expect every women to look like girls in magazines, but when a boy meets "the one" - that's all that matters.

No, no one will find me attractive. I wish. I really do wish.

How often does the 'one' look perfect? Even with celebrities, not everyone finds every 'beautiful' celebrity attractive. It's very, very subjective.

Hm, you're 15, no? I don't think you can from this point predict how you're life's going to be.

How often does the 'one' look perfect? Even with celebrities, not everyone finds every 'beautiful' celebrity attractive. It's very, very subjective.

Hm, you're 15, no? I don't think you can from this point predict how you're life's going to be.

It's not. There are not many men who wouldn't bang Kate Upton.

I know how it's going to pan out. Forever alone.
It's not. There are not many men who wouldn't bang Kate Upton.

I know how it's going to pan out. Forever alone.

Quite a few boys I know don't find her that attractive.

But it's like saying, just cuz I don't look like her, no one will wan to sleep with me.

Hm, to be honest, you could be doing more to prevent that outcome. What men hate the most is girls who are so visibly pessimistic and negative who wallow in these sorts of thoughts.

Change your attitude, and you'll change your perspective on yourself.

Quite a few boys I know don't find her that attractive.

But it's like saying, just cuz I don't look like her, no one will wan to sleep with me.

Hm, to be honest, you could be doing more to prevent that outcome. What men hate the most is girls who are so visibly pessimistic and negative who wallow in these sorts of thoughts.

Change your attitude, and you'll change your perspective on yourself.

Pretty girl with nice attitude > Ugly girl with nice attitude.
Pretty girl with nice attitude > Ugly girl with nice attitude.

But the idea that you're ugly is something you've constructed yourself.

On a side note, if ugly people didn't have relationships I'm pretty sure there wouldn't be any ugly people by now.
They don't have to tell me. I know they are thinking it.

Were you struck by lightening or something? I mean, I was just wondering where you got the mind reading skills that lead you to completely ignore what everyone actually says to you about what they're thinking and what a lot of people in the general population are thinking and cling to this awful world view that you have based on what you think people are thinking. You must have some evidence we don't, and considering many people in this thread are women in relationships talking about what their men like, women with close male friends who've talked to them about it and men themselves who aren't all saying the same things are ugly and the same things are pretty; so I can only conclude you must read minds.
So lemmie know how you got those powers so I can avoid it happening to me, because I don't want that miserable burden.
But the idea that you're ugly is something you've constructed yourself.

On a side note, if ugly people didn't have relationships I'm pretty sure there wouldn't be any ugly people by now.

No, it is true.
Original post by minimarshmallow
Were you struck by lightening or something? I mean, I was just wondering where you got the mind reading skills that lead you to completely ignore what everyone actually says to you about what they're thinking and what a lot of people in the general population are thinking and cling to this awful world view that you have based on what you think people are thinking. You must have some evidence we don't, and considering many people in this thread are women in relationships talking about what their men like, women with close male friends who've talked to them about it and men themselves who aren't all saying the same things are ugly and the same things are pretty; so I can only conclude you must read minds.
So lemmie know how you got those powers so I can avoid it happening to me, because I don't want that miserable burden.

You can just tell if someone thinks you're pretty or not.
No, it is true.

That has no real credibility because only you've affirmed that yourself, people believe what they find easier to believe about themselves. It's easier for you, as it is for most people, to believe that your own self is ugly than to believe you're pretty, but it could be that the opinion varies from person to person.

You can just tell if someone thinks you're pretty or not.

Well, no, you can't. Different people react differently to pretty people.
And even if nobody you've met has reacted in a way that made you think they think you're pretty, doesn't mean nobody will.
And as people who are older than you and have more life experience than you keep telling you, different people find different things attractive so if indeed you can judge when someone thinks you're pretty (and 8 times out of 10 you probably can't) you've only met a small proportion of the people you are ever going to meet so far, and quite a few of them will be related to you.
Unless you read people's minds and you've met every straight male and gay female on earth, I don't think you're qualified to ignore actual people telling you that people don't all find the same things attractive in women! And yet you keep doing so. It's a mystery.

Quick Reply

Latest