The Student Room Group

Geography applicants for 2013 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by J_thomp
Hiya, for the Exeter open day this weekend I seem to have deleted the email along with all my booking forms :s-smilie: (slightly panicking) could anyone forward me the email!? Please! I was booked in for the geography talk.

If it's any consolation, when I went a couple of months ago, they didn't even ask to see my letter. And many people were still coming in and standing round the edges throughout the talk. My friend got asked for his letter for a languages talk, but that was because he was there early and they wanted those in the front seats to be those who'd booked.
Reply 181
Original post by J_thomp
Hiya, for the Exeter open day this weekend I seem to have deleted the email along with all my booking forms :s-smilie: (slightly panicking) could anyone forward me the email!? Please! I was booked in for the geography talk.

I got a confirmation letter and Open Day booklet through the post today and it said I should bring that, so maybe you'll receive a letter?
Applying for Geography at Cambridge and LSE for 2013 entry.

Achieved A*AABC

Geography, Economics, Welsh Baccalaureate?, History, Mathematics respectively

Currently studying my first year of Law LLB at Exeter then hopefully switching to geography (changed my mind towards the end of A2)

:smile:

EDIT: Got 99% at Geography A2 :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Is anyone else thinking of applying to Oxford (earth sciences - as I know some people who have applied to geography to some, along with earth sciences at oxford)?

I got AAAAA as AS results (mathematics/chemistry/physics/economics/GS), and A*A*A*A will be my prediction (most likely) with the A*s in maths, physics and general studies, and A in chemistry. I was wondering whether to apply considering my lack of geography, as I'm not sure if it makes a difference, and maybe if I should carry on economics even though it is largely irrelevant. Any help?

Thanks in advance.
(edited 11 years ago)
Name: Amelia
BA or Bsc?: BA - human geography all the way!!
Studying currently: Geography, History and English Literature
Universities applying to: King's College, UCL, Royal Holloway, Queen Mary's and LSE...... 3 guesses where my favourite city in the world is :wink:

Also, I have seen a lot of people commenting who are thinking of applying to Reading uni. I live in Reading and go to the university quite often on sixth form trips/to their library/with my mum who is studying there, so if anyone has any questions about it feel free to ask and I will try to answer as best I can! :smile:
Original post by ameliayeah
Name: Amelia
BA or Bsc?: BA - human geography all the way!!
Studying currently: Geography, History and English Literature
Universities applying to: King's College, UCL, Royal Holloway, Queen Mary's and LSE...... 3 guesses where my favourite city in the world is :wink:

Also, I have seen a lot of people commenting who are thinking of applying to Reading uni. I live in Reading and go to the university quite often on sixth form trips/to their library/with my mum who is studying there, so if anyone has any questions about it feel free to ask and I will try to answer as best I can! :smile:

Hey I want to apply to royal holloway too! Also live near reading. But I'm a physical geographer - you looking at doing just human geography or just general geog?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by winningjojo
Hey I want to apply to royal holloway too! Also live near reading. But I'm a physical geographer - you looking at doing just human geography or just general geog?

Haha snap! :tongue:

Just general geography I think, what about you?

Just booked myself a place on the Royal Holloway open day, exciting times!
Reply 187

As someone who lives in the suburbs of London, to me Royal Holloway actually isn't in London at all. Egham is actually in Surrey and is miles from London. So just as a word of warning, it will be totally.. and I mean totally different at Royal Holloway than UCL, KCL, LSE and QM. Which are all right in the heart of the city (not quite sure about QM though but presumably it is).

I've also heard it has terrible transport links so if you go there you may as well be nowhere near London at all. Though it wouldn't take as long to get into London as it would if you were further away of course. I thought I should point this out because you said you loved london. It would be dissapointing for you to go to RH and expect it to be like the others, though you might already know this. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
This thread seems to have slowed up a bit. How are you guys doing with your UCAS applications? I take it most of you have wrote a fair bit of your PS and are hoping to send them off relatively soon? Enlighten me people!
Just responded on a different thread - Geog at Exeter's Cornwall Campus is pretty cool http://www.exeter.ac.uk/cornwall-open-day/
Original post by tooty_fruit
This thread seems to have slowed up a bit. How are you guys doing with your UCAS applications? I take it most of you have wrote a fair bit of your PS and are hoping to send them off relatively soon? Enlighten me people!

Personal statement is written just making all the little tweeks and stuff now everything coming together nicely hope to send my application beginning October and get the ball rolling! What about you?

It is Surrey but its only what an hour from London on public transport wouldn't make it out as it was quite so far away! Lol loved it on the June open day going back for another visit would agree though it's not the place of you want the bright lights of the city and a load of clubs but it's lovely and for me pretty perfect as im not into that kind of thing just that I'm 30min by car away now...

Yay yeah just general geography too booked the open day - be my second visit went in June too :smile: might see you. Are you worried about being fairly close to home?

Personal statement is written just making all the little tweeks and stuff now everything coming together nicely hope to send my application beginning October and get the ball rolling! What about you?

Well, I feel like i've written the final thing, but I haven't actually got a teacher to check it or anything over yet. I'm still like 200 characters over the limit too!
Original post by tooty_fruit
Well, I feel like i've written the final thing, but I haven't actually got a teacher to check it or anything over yet. I'm still like 200 characters over the limit too!

Ah I'm under the limit by a line and had people check mine and stuff think its nearly there now :smile: c

So i'm back from Exeter university's open day today, and i'm now feeling stuck :s-smilie:
I love the campus and facilities at Exeter, but when I went to the geography talk, the lecturer seemed really dull, plus he said they don't study volcanoes! :frown: Seeing as natural hazards is one of my faourite topics along with climate change, this really dissapointed me.
I have booked an open day for the cornwall campus also, but i think they will be the same. No natural hazards, but comfortable surroundings in a smaller less intimidating campus. I can settle in easier there than anywhere else.
I went to York in July, and the environmental geography degree sounded brilliant for me, and the lecturers were great, it's just that i can't see myself settling in there :/

How do you guys figure out which uni's you feel you want to go to? Do you prefer the couse or surroundings, or have you been fortunate enough to find both?xx
Original post by Ellie_May :)
So i'm back from Exeter university's open day today, and i'm now feeling stuck :s-smilie:
I love the campus and facilities at Exeter, but when I went to the geography talk, the lecturer seemed really dull, plus he said they don't study volcanoes! :frown: Seeing as natural hazards is one of my faourite topics along with climate change, this really dissapointed me.
I have booked an open day for the cornwall campus also, but i think they will be the same. No natural hazards, but comfortable surroundings in a smaller less intimidating campus. I can settle in easier there than anywhere else.
I went to York in July, and the environmental geography degree sounded brilliant for me, and the lecturers were great, it's just that i can't see myself settling in there :/

How do you guys figure out which uni's you feel you want to go to? Do you prefer the couse or surroundings, or have you been fortunate enough to find both?xx

Hey I've been lucky enough to find both at royal holloway :smile: you just get a gut feeling that you could really see yourself happy there. Natural hazards and climate change are two of my fav topics too :smile: RHUL have lots of modules linked to climate change and have an active research programme on it too. As for the natural hazard side in years2&3 you can take modules from the geology department which do stuff on volcanoes and there are elements within geomorphology modules and that. Perhaps take a look there. It sounds like you want something slightly countrysidey and pretty fairly small so it's friendly but things still to do in my opinion RHUL meets these objectives hope it helps :smile:

Hey I've been lucky enough to find both at royal holloway :smile: you just get a gut feeling that you could really see yourself happy there. Natural hazards and climate change are two of my fav topics too :smile: RHUL have lots of modules linked to climate change and have an active research programme on it too. As for the natural hazard side in years2&3 you can take modules from the geology department which do stuff on volcanoes and there are elements within geomorphology modules and that. Perhaps take a look there. It sounds like you want something slightly countrysidey and pretty fairly small so it's friendly but things still to do in my opinion RHUL meets these objectives hope it helps :smile:

Thankyou for your help! :smile: I have had a look and it seems like a pretty good course! Campus looks lovely. It's just that issue of it being in London. This may seem wierd but i like quiet and small places. Although the campus is quite quiet, i am sure lots of students will tend to catch a bus or something to london city centre where it is obviously very busy. I will have to have a think about it, but thanks for showing me that option!xx
I went to Birmingham University today and wasn't expecting much but wow, it was fantastic! Lovely campus with superb architecture (If you like red bricks) and the course had the perfect amount of flexibility between BSc, BA and MSci. The admissions tutor was brilliant too, ignored all of the standard statistics and just spoke his passionate honest view. I'm also interested in the Liberal Arts and Sciences degree majoring in Geography with some Biology, English and Earth Sciences modules.

Did anyone go to Sheffield? I was slightly underwhelmed, but I had been up since 5 am on the train so perhaps that clouded my view. I didn't really like the department & modules, although I though Sheffield as a city was lovely.

Cardiff, Bristol and Cambridge left to go before the UCAS form gets completed!
Yay yeah just general geography too booked the open day - be my second visit went in June too :smile: might see you. Are you worried about being fairly close to home?

Ah wicked, presumably you liked it when you went in June then?
Well I would prefer to be a bit further away from home (as harsh as that sounds haha), but I guess if the course/campus is right for me I probably won't mind where I am :biggrin:

I really hope I like it, I've heard so many good reviews! Plus I met one of the RH Geography professors at Reading Uni once and he was lovely! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending