The Student Room Group

Geography applicants for 2013 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by St. Brynjar
There's two of us now which means I can safely say Reading is the greatest place on the earth to find geographers.

Yep, the evidence is right here. It must be true!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 381
I swear theres one or two other people also on this thread from Reading?

Either way I feel like the only Londoner here XD
Reply 382
Does anybody else think that the modules at Nottingham are slightly weird for a geography course? The place is really nice, but the modules are a slight put off :frown:

Hey there fellow geographers! Thought since other subjects have done this, we should have our own thread :biggrin:
Fill this out so we can all get to know each other :smile:

Name:
BA or Bsc?:
Studying currently:
Universities applying to:

Studying maths,biology,geography
Applying to Lancaster, York, Newcastle, Bristol and Dundee
Reply 384
Well I'm from Reading and my idea of northern is anywhere past Luton :tongue:
Yeah those are the five, I wanted LSE for the prestige but someone talked sense into me and I went for the favourite five. I wish I'd looked at Newcastle, it's just so far away from home and I was missing so many days of college, same reason why I didn't get a chance to look at Durham (And the open day was the same days as Bristol's which I didn't particularly like that much). I'd be fine at any college I end up to be honest, don't mind living outside town, small or big is fine, as is old or new. My friend talked up how awesome living in a castle would be though, hence my application. Bet their quidditch society is INSANE.

Which Cambridge college did you choose out of interest?

I chose Clare! How about you? I'm getting really... impatient? because when my friend applied {to Corpus for Theology though} within a couple of days they sent her all of the information about what work to submit and also loads of forms about data protection and stuff? All on top of her SAQ, which she hasn't submitted yet. I submitted mine a week or two ago and still nothing about what kind of work they'd want me to send in, and I'm not very good at being patient xD

There's two of us now which means I can safely say Reading is the greatest place on the earth to find geographers.

I can say that there are at least thirty geographers just in my year at my school, so we must be a huge hotspot of geographical minds :tongue:
Original post by Nemeviaa
I chose Clare! How about you? I'm getting really... impatient? because when my friend applied {to Corpus for Theology though} within a couple of days they sent her all of the information about what work to submit and also loads of forms about data protection and stuff? All on top of her SAQ, which she hasn't submitted yet. I submitted mine a week or two ago and still nothing about what kind of work they'd want me to send in, and I'm not very good at being patient xD

Nice, I know so many people who are at or have applied there! I'm going for Trinity Hall, next door neighbours :wink: I only got the SAQ, which came through the day after, when I applied. I assume once I send that off the college will get in touch with me about which forms I need but it probably varies from college to college, perhaps Corpus are just quick this year!

I can say that there are at least thirty geographers just in my year at my school, so we must be a huge hotspot of geographical minds :tongue:

I'm tempted to make a joke about mantle plumes but I can't bring myself to that level! I think it reflects badly on the town as so many people desperate to study other places :laugh:
Reply 386
Nice, I know so many people who are at or have applied there! I'm going for Trinity Hall, next door neighbours :wink: I only got the SAQ, which came through the day after, when I applied. I assume once I send that off the college will get in touch with me about which forms I need but it probably varies from college to college, perhaps Corpus are just quick this year!

I'm tempted to make a joke about mantle plumes but I can't bring myself to that level! I think it reflects badly on the town as so many people desperate to study other places :laugh:

Haha awesome, what made you go for Trinity Hall? I just chose Clare on the quality gardens and the fact that I didn't hear a bad word said about it - I went on a punt whilst I was there and the guy {although he went to Peterhouse} only said good things about it, plus I liked the location. On the river but quite secluded! And the majority of the accommodation is on the far side of the river so wouldn't have tourists round and about or much, or that was my reasoning at least...

The I bet the mantle plume joke would've gone down like a house on fire, in a geography thread like this :biggrin: But yeah I know what you mean...

I'm near slough nearish reading and we have loads of geography applicants too :smile:

Looks like I'm going to buck the trend here guys. At my sixth form we've only got 3 geography applicants (out of 150!)

I swear everyone wants to do medicine or one of the sciences/engineering?
Original post by tooty_fruit
Looks like I'm going to buck the trend here guys. At my sixth form we've only got 3 geography applicants (out of 150!)

I swear everyone wants to do medicine or one of the sciences/engineering?

Similar story with my sixth form! I'm the only geography applicant out of 150 students, everyone is doing Maths or physics!

Original post by ameliayeah
Similar story with my sixth form! I'm the only geography applicant out of 150 students, everyone is doing Maths or physics!

I guess they just don't realise what they're missing :P
Reply 391
Oops, what I said must've been totally misleading; there're about 30 of us doing A2 geography, not applying for it. >.< Out of a year of about 200, I know at least four or five of us are wanting to take it at degree but we have the benefit of an totally fantastic geography department {my human geography teacher is absolutely hilarious}. I have a friend who was really torn between a geo-science and astrophysics; I couldn't believe it when she chose physics. I think it was only because she didn't want to do the human half of the A2 course, as she really didn't enjoy it at AS, or any time before that when I think about it. Not that I can really understand that either...
Haha awesome, what made you go for Trinity Hall? I just chose Clare on the quality gardens and the fact that I didn't hear a bad word said about it - I went on a punt whilst I was there and the guy {although he went to Peterhouse} only said good things about it, plus I liked the location. On the river but quite secluded! And the majority of the accommodation is on the far side of the river so wouldn't have tourists round and about or much, or that was my reasoning at least...

The I bet the mantle plume joke would've gone down like a house on fire, in a geography thread like this :biggrin: But yeah I know what you mean...

I just loved the atmosphere the buildings, the location, everything really. I didn't like Emma very much and I was just wondering around and it was beautiful, the porters were so friendly! And I love the cheap modern accommodation too. Good luck with Clare :smile:
Reply 393
[QUOTE="Rebecca245;39907797"]
Hey there fellow geographers! Thought since other subjects have done this, we should have our own thread :biggrin:
Fill this out so we can all get to know each other :smile:

Name:
BA or Bsc?:
Studying currently:
Universities applying to:

Studying maths,biology,geography
Applying to Lancaster, York, Newcastle, Bristol and Dundee

I've applied for York and Lancaster too!!! :smile:

Reply 394
I just loved the atmosphere the buildings, the location, everything really. I didn't like Emma very much and I was just wondering around and it was beautiful, the porters were so friendly! And I love the cheap modern accommodation too. Good luck with Clare :smile:

Sounds like you found the perfect place, in that case! Good luck to you too :biggrin:
Got an unconditional offer from Bristol yesterday.

Bsc Geography :smile:
Bsc Geography
Oxford, Durham, Lancaster, Exeter (Cornwall Campus), Southampton :smile:

So aside from Birmingham and Bristol- which universities have given offers so far?
Reply 397
Original post by Kevin Wu

That's brilliant! Congratulations :biggrin: Is it your first choice of university? Do you already have your A2 grades or are you just really, really awesome? :P

Original post by orangehead123
Bsc Geography
Oxford, Durham, Lancaster, Exeter (Cornwall Campus), Southampton :smile:

So aside from Birmingham and Bristol- which universities have given offers so far?

I don't think I've heard about any offers from any other places for geography {unless I've missed any written on here?}, I know there're quite a few English offers coming out of Manchester though {completely unrelated}.

In other news, I just got my email through from Clare, Cambridge, telling me about all the things I need to submit - looks like I posted in here a day or two early worrying about it :rolleyes:
Original post by Kevin Wu

Well done!! :biggrin:
Keep changing my mind between Manchester and Exeter... ARGH!! I want to send off my application but I can't choose. :-(

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending