The Student Room Group

Geography applicants for 2013 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by winningjojo
Thank you! And out of your insurance options I thought bath spa looked a nice when I was researching. Exeter is still a great uni though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes it is :smile: Bath Spa is closer to home too. Lovely city!
Reply 1381
Hi! Just wondering if anyone is going to the Bristol open day on Wednesday? Had an email from them saying that it starts at 12, but i'm not sure if there is anything else going on during the day, like tours and things? :s-smilie:
Anyone going to RHUL on the 6th march??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1383
Still no news from Bristol, anybody else have any offers/rejections in the past week? Starting to get a bit impatient by their procedure considering most universities have made their decisions.
Reply 1384
I got an offer for geography BSc from Bristol yesterday (22/02/2013) - the standard AAA. So happy!!!

If it helps: my prediction grades are A*AA (subjects: geography, history and English literature); I applied in October; I got to an inner London comprehensive school; and my AS grades were AAAB (subjects: geography, English literature, religious studies and history).

Good luck everyone!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Exactly the same as poster above, but i got an unconditional offer because i already have my grades :biggrin:

really hope they get back to everyone soon because i know how TORTURING the wait is!
Just a general question as I try and decide where an earth to spend the next three years.

How important/significant do you think going to a Russell group uni actually is??

Is it all that it's made up to be??

Are 1994 group unis just as good - what is the difference between 1994 and Russell???

Any responses would be greatly appreciated at this confusing time..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1387
Just a general question as I try and decide where an earth to spend the next three years.

How important/significant do you think going to a Russell group uni actually is??

Is it all that it's made up to be??

Are 1994 group unis just as good - what is the difference between 1994 and Russell???

Any responses would be greatly appreciated at this confusing time..

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think people buy into the whole Russel Group thing too much. It means quite little, and there are some pretty medicore Russel Group universities; equally there are some brilliant universities outside the Russel Group (although many have joined this year).

A good site for comparing courses is unistats.com, which gives you a breakdown on pretty much all the facts that universities don't tell you. After all, if the average graduate from a course is on minimum wage when they graduate, the uni isn't going to advertise that (and believe me, there are many courses like this).

Which universities are you torn between?
Original post by Bulbasaur
I think people buy into the whole Russel Group thing too much. It means quite little, and there are some pretty medicore Russel Group universities; equally there are some brilliant universities outside the Russel Group (although many have joined this year).

A good site for comparing courses is unistats.com, which gives you a breakdown on pretty much all the facts that universities don't tell you. After all, if the average graduate from a course is on minimum wage when they graduate, the uni isn't going to advertise that (and believe me, there are many courses like this).

Which universities are you torn between?

Newcastle and royal holloway

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1389
Original post by joereed
Still no news from Bristol, anybody else have any offers/rejections in the past week? Starting to get a bit impatient by their procedure considering most universities have made their decisions.

I got my offer in October...:s-smilie:
All Russell Groups are good universities, but not all good universities are Russell Groups.
Original post by St. Brynjar
All Russell Groups are good universities, but not all good universities are Russell Groups.

I like that saying :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1392
Newcastle and royal holloway

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm, I guess if you can't decide between the two, consider at each university:

1) The course content (this is the main point).
2) Employability from the course (given RHUL is in London, this is probably the winner here).
3) Distance away from where you currently live. If you live in the South, it's obviously going to be more difficult getting all your stuff to Newcastle than RHUL, for example.
4) The social life - Newcastle is obviously Newcastle, but I know someone who goes to RHUL and says it's pretty awesome on this front too, despite getting into London being quite difficult.
5) League tables. They aren't a god-send, but they can be useful. For geography, RHUL tends to be slightly higher than Newcastle but it's not that much of a jump.
6) Cost of living. Lower in Newcastle, which could come in handy as a student.
7) Setup of the uni. Some people prefer campus-based unis, others prefer it to be scattered.
8) Quality of the accomodation
9) Finally, one of the most important things is your impression of any open days/applicant days you've attended there. Do you think you'd be happy there? If you're not really sure, or you haven't seen both universities, it's probably best that you do before you make a decision.

Personally, based off what i've just read, I'd choose Royal Holloway. Obviously you'd be a lot better informed than I am of what these unis are actually like, though.
Hope this helps :smile:

Original post by Daranth
I got my offer in October...:s-smilie:

So did I. But applicants only got their offer in October if you applied in October or earlier (obviously). If you applied later, they've made most people wait until now, and that's why loads of people are still waiting.
Original post by Bulbasaur
Hmm, I guess if you can't decide between the two, consider at each university:

1) The course content (this is the main point).
2) Employability from the course (given RHUL is in London, this is probably the winner here).
3) Distance away from where you currently live. If you live in the South, it's obviously going to be more difficult getting all your stuff to Newcastle than RHUL, for example.
4) The social life - Newcastle is obviously Newcastle, but I know someone who goes to RHUL and says it's pretty awesome on this front too, despite getting into London being quite difficult.
5) League tables. They aren't a god-send, but they can be useful. For geography, RHUL tends to be slightly higher than Newcastle but it's not that much of a jump.
6) Cost of living. Lower in Newcastle, which could come in handy as a student.
7) Setup of the uni. Some people prefer campus-based unis, others prefer it to be scattered.
8) Quality of the accomodation
9) Finally, one of the most important things is your impression of any open days/applicant days you've attended there. Do you think you'd be happy there? If you're not really sure, or you haven't seen both universities, it's probably best that you do before you make a decision.

Personally, based off what i've just read, I'd choose Royal Holloway. Obviously you'd be a lot better informed than I am of what these unis are actually like, though.
Hope this helps :smile:

So did I. But applicants only got their offer in October if you applied in October or earlier (obviously). If you applied later, they've made most people wait until now, and that's why loads of people are still waiting.

Thank you so much for all your help!! I have visited both and could really see myself at RHUL even though it's only 25min from home. I really wasn't expecting an offer from Newcastle which has really thrown me because it offered AAB opposed to RHUL ABB and part of me can't help but feel like turning Newcastle down would be missing an opportunity in a weird sense to study at a RG having said that I do agree that RHUL felt like a better department an seeing smaller had a more friendly close knit community which I quite liked coming from a "small" secondary school.

You really have helped a lot!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1394
Thank you so much for all your help!! I have visited both and could really see myself at RHUL even though it's only 25min from home. I really wasn't expecting an offer from Newcastle which has really thrown me because it offered AAB opposed to RHUL ABB and part of me can't help but feel like turning Newcastle down would be missing an opportunity in a weird sense to study at a RG having said that I do agree that RHUL felt like a better department an seeing smaller had a more friendly close knit community which I quite liked coming from a "small" secondary school.

You really have helped a lot!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem :smile: Good luck with making your decision!
anyone going to the Southampton visit day on wednesday?
Original post by joereed

got a rejection through last monday for pure geog
Original post by suzzboy25
got a rejection through last monday for pure geog

Sorry to hear that - I'm sure you've had some other great offers though!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1398
I need help, I have ABB offers for Exeter and York, but really stick between the two. Which do people generally consider as better?
Original post by hernwood
I need help, I have ABB offers for Exeter and York, but really stick between the two. Which do people generally consider as better?

They are equally as good I would say. Both RG, both with strong departments so go where you feel happiness. I would personally choose Exeter just because the department seems later as it offers more than just environmental geography. but you have yourself too very good departments there.

Lol should I choose Newcastle (AAB) or RHUL (ABB) ??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending