The Student Room Group

No one has any expectations for me they think i am stupid.

I am leaving college soon and i have decided to look for work as many on here would consider the area i am studying as a "Micky mouse" subject and i do not think it is worth the fees.

I am not the best at school work and got poor grades people just presume i am stupid and it is upsetting.Its annoying as its untrue i don't do drugs,smoke or sleep around like most girls my age but no one ever sees this and just think i will end up being in a dead end job as thats all i am worth.

Anyone else offer some advice or have had the same thing?
Reply 1
dude you can do good things! great things if you put yourself out there
dont settle for any less than you deserve
and if people have low expectations blow them out the water
show you can do great things!
Reply 2
What sort of subject did you do?

Personally I think unless you do a particularly niche or career minded course (accountancy etc) I think a lot of companies are viewing more and more undergraduate degrees as ticking a box. It can demonstrate you have the aptitude to undertake further education, analyse and think critically.

Cwhere degrees are commonplace, employers buy into the person not the paper.

I've been involved in the hiring process for my current company and our grads range from those from a management degree to those from a music degree.

Just ensure you believe in yourself first and foremost
Original post by Anonymous
I am leaving college soon and i have decided to look for work as many on here would consider the area i am studying as a "Micky mouse" subject and i do not think it is worth the fees.

I am not the best at school work and got poor grades people just presume i am stupid and it is upsetting.Its annoying as its untrue i don't do drugs,smoke or sleep around like most girls my age but no one ever sees this and just think i will end up being in a dead end job as thats all i am worth.

Anyone else offer some advice or have had the same thing?

You're worth more than that.You really are. I understand if you don't liek education but do you tihnk great minds wake up one day smart and prepared?

No. It takes effort and work. Start reading, taking an interest in your beneficial subject, if you hate uni, drop out, get some qualifications and reapply for a damn good course. Don't let yourself give in.

You get one chance to live, one chance on this earth to do anything you want. Are you going to sit in a dead-end job worrying about what peopel expect or are you going to give it everything to ensure you make the best of it.

PS there's no better feeling than proving everybody wrong. Do it.
Reply 4
Just to add, if you recognise now that your grades aren't great then you can act and do something about it. Do better.

While degree subject can sometimes be overlooked, the grades are in your control now, and application is important
Reply 5
Original post by RoaminBlue
What sort of subject did you do?

Personally I think unless you do a particularly niche or career minded course (accountancy etc) I think a lot of companies are viewing more and more undergraduate degrees as ticking a box. It can demonstrate you have the aptitude to undertake further education, analyse and think critically.

Cwhere degrees are commonplace, employers buy into the person not the paper.

I've been involved in the hiring process for my current company and our grads range from those from a management degree to those from a music degree.

Just ensure you believe in yourself first and foremost

I do creative media diploma at L3.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending