The Student Room Group

What is the most useful A Level?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Why has no-one said Geography? It's the one with the widest skill base?! Mathematical side, Essay side and analytical side!?

IT'S PERFECT.
Reply 21
Even though i don't do it myself, its got to be a foreign language. If you can speak French/German/Spanish etc, it could be a massive help in your job prospects!
Original post by Scott_eth
Very true, you have no idea how many normal distribution curves I have to draw during my work as a receptionist. :P

I did qualify it with almost. You could use it to efficiently determine how much space on your paper you use to doodle.
Reply 23
Original post by . .
Does English literature not teach you to read the OP.

Literature helps you develops essay writing skills from experienced to professional. It also helps you make logical arguments, a skill I'm sure you could use.
Reply 24
Original post by Scott_eth
Very true, you have no idea how many normal distribution curves I have to draw during my work as a receptionist. :P

THIS.
For me, Maths, because I will be doing engineering in Uni.

And also because it has quite a different range of topics to choose from - statistics, mechanics, pure maths etc.
Maths is just so useful and is key to so many degrees. No other subject is so key to so many aspects of modern life.
Maths. And further Maths as well if you are applying for courses at top unis for Physics, Economics and other relevant courses.
Original post by IndieTams
Psychology in my opinion. Once you begin to understand why people are the way they are, it changes the way you look at the world and yourself.

This is so true! I literally find myself analysing people/situations daily based on my A-level Psychology knowledge, it's crazy :biggrin:
Reply 29
Maths. Only today my dad asked me to work out a side of his new patio he's building. Used the cheeky sine rule and a few other tricks to do it.
Reply 30
Maths, Politics and Psychology. I only took maths but I cannot tell you the amount of things I have learnt from my friends who were doing politics and psychology. I will probably never forget it!
Reply 31
Maths or English language
I can see me getting a lot hate and negs for this, but the best is Leisure Studies.

Reasoning being that it teaches the before, during and after jobs. It teaches you how to act in interviews etc. It applies to everyday life, and I know that you are not going to agree but don't knock it until you've done it.
Original post by theking1
THIS.

The next person to "THIS" something gets their rectum broke in by Mandingo.
Economics. I didn't think I would like it at first, but it helps understanding what is happening with the financial world and why they do certain things, and when it comes to revising, it is easier because you can actually see the concepts you've learnt being applied in real life
Languages, surely?
As someone else has said, History is really helpful in that it improves written communication, writing concisely and expanding vocab. It's also useful to have a greater knowledge of past events, and can even increase political awareness, depending on which topics you study.

It's a highly regarded A Level, but for life in general it might not be the most useful, but definitely one of them.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 37
Original post by A.galloway
I did qualify it with almost. You could use it to efficiently determine how much space on your paper you use to doodle.

Haha, without a doubt I'd be searching towards the top end of my distribution table. I'm a bad receptionist. xD
Reply 38
Original post by theking1
Literature helps you develops essay writing skills from experienced to professional. It also helps you make logical arguments, a skill I'm sure you could use.

Yes maybe I should have taken it. Then my logic would be as great as yours (I can dream).
Reply 39
Leisure and tourism
Did work on customer service, CV writing, applying for jobs, working abroad ect..
Maths? How the hell is that goin to be any use, how often do you need to find the equation of a line in real life -.-

Quick Reply

Latest