The Student Room Group

My mate got a third - how can I help him?

My mate just found out he got a third for his degree in Physics. I warned him that he would end up with a bad grade as he always went put almost going out. Even a 2:2 is considered poor nowadays let alone a third. What can he do? How can I help him?

Scroll to see replies

There's nothing you can do; he made his bed and now he must lie in it.
Reply 2
A 3rd may not be that bad depending on the institution and course. A 3rd in Natural Sciences at Cambridge for example is considered pretty good.

I think he should just make the best out of a bad situation. No amount of postgraduate degrees will cover up the 3rd. I suggest he finds impressive work experience.

Edit - I'm not saying job offers will come flying at students with 3rds but the difficulty and intensity of a course should be taken into consideration. Whether you'd like to accept the reality of it or not, some courses are more just intense than others.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by MHicks123
My mate just found out he got a third for his degree in Physics. I warned him that he would end up with a bad grade as he always went put almost going out. Even a 2:2 is considered poor nowadays let alone a third. What can he do? How can I help him?

What are you expecting to be able to do?? As far as I'm concerned people get out what they put in. It would be an injustice if people that dossed their way through 3 years did well.
I didn't understand your sentence. Why is it that he didn't do so well this year?
If there's a genuine reason, see the policy on re-sits at your University.
Maybe try and get him to re-take a few modules.
If nothing can be done about his grade, he should consider going for another degree if he can afford it. Otherwise, he'll have to fund another degree by going into full-time work anywhere.
Maybe find a job where you get trained on the job? Like some kind of IT job?
Maybe go to college and do a few qualifications to start him up?
I don't think a third is defensible, even from Cambridge as an earlier poster suggested. It indicates a serious problem with either aptitude or attitude. Not much you can do about the former (retrain as a plumber maybe?) but if the latter, that's the bigger problem. If you go out all the time and don't do any work, you will do badly in anything you try whether it be in academia or employment.
Reply 6
One of my friends graduated with an ordinary degree (i.e. no Honours, no classification) in physics and his first job started on £30k. It's not the end of the world, but depending what he wants to do may make his life a bit harder.
Do you honestly think you have any control over the situation?
Original post by T-Toe
A 3rd in Natural Sciences at Cambridge for example is considered pretty good.

Sorry, but that is rubbish.

There is nothing you can do for him, or should do for him. He is old enough to be making his own decisions; life is all about choices.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Very nice of you to offer help but I don't think there's much you can do :frown:
Reply 10
Original post by PrismaticCore
I didn't understand your sentence. Why is it that he didn't do so well this year?

He didn't do well because he went out too much.
Reply 11
If he really cared I am sure he would have done something over the past three years to pull his grades up. Therefore, I can only imagine he isn't that bothered about it. Maybe he thought he could sneak through a more respectable 2:2 but meh.

He can just forget about it and get on with things - it isn't like his pet dog just died.
Reply 12
OP, I wish I had a mate like you.
Reply 13
Original post by Jake22
If he really cared I am sure he would have done something over the past three years to pull his grades up. Therefore, I can only imagine he isn't that bothered about it. Maybe he thought he could sneak through a more respectable 2:2 but meh.

He can just forget about it and get on with things - it isn't like his pet dog just died.

I'm sorry but I would care more about getting a 3rd than my dog dying.
Reply 14
Original post by kka25
OP, I wish I had a mate like you.

Thank you! That's very kind!
Don't put the degree classification on the CV. Just write BSC (Hons) University of Whatever. Worked for a mate (then again if you search 'brookes college oxford' you get a lot of people so a good life lesson to be learnt there)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by T-Toe
Was the swearing necessary and says who?

Natural Science is a very difficult course taught very rigorously at Cambridge.

it's not necessarily the difficulty or amount of material that makes people get thirds. Though it's quite a common view on tsr it's a naieve one.

Anyway op can help his friend by being a friend... If he's started boozing excessively you could perhaps say something but it's not down to you to run his life.
Reply 17
Original post by Aeschylus
Don't put the degree classification on the CV. Just write BSC (Hons) University of Whatever. Worked for a mate (then again if you search 'brookes college oxford' you get a lot of people so a good life lesson to be learnt there)

How does he get away with it? Surely prospective employers will ask for the degree grade?
How does he get away with it? Surely prospective employers will ask for the degree grade?

Big Grad schemes yes. SMEs (Small Medium enterprises) not always. The place he got employed asked more about his experience (of which he had a bit) and was more interested in his people skills. They gave him a 2 week trial, liked him, pow right in the kisser

Nothing you can do i'm afraid.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending