The Student Room Group

Are these A levels too soft?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Odiem23
Hey..Im gna be doing Law at uni ...for A-Level I did English, Lit, History, French and Economics. I would say that you shouldnt do Business studies (especially as you're already doing economics) or Law. But other thinkgs are fine like maths, languages, bio,chem e.t.c

This is actually a good point, DO NOT do overlapping subject like economics and business studies so as I said before I would suggest...

Swap Law for chemistry and then for Business swap to a language or english lit (NOT lang)
Reply 41
Original post by CharliePhillips
Swap law for Chemistry then for Business studies you could keep it or swap for a language or maths depending on your subject capabilities for those subjects..

Why chemistry?
With firsthand experience I can say that taking economics with business is as monotonous as it is pointless. In my school I had the same two teachers for half of my lessons in the same room, it became unbearable. As if this wasn't bad enough, it came to applying to universities and I found that most of the places I was looking at (top 20 as well) wouldn't accept the two together at A2, so I was almost forced to drop business. You don't need them both either, even if you're doing economics most universities don't need either. Don't focus your A-level choices too much, it looks to me like you've chosen those subjects because you think universities will want them for law, but I can promise you they're not too bothered as long as you're doing academically rigorous subjects. In fact, even maths would be far more valued than business on top of economics. Don't do what I did and make it hard for yourself. History is definitely a good choice, law is an obvious one but by no means necessary - my friend has an offer from Oxford for law and he did sciences and history. In short - do not bother with business. Economics is also not necessary but won't look as bad by itself.
Original post by chelseafan
I was actually thinking of taking eco,maths,history and physics but im not sure i would be able to get AAA in those subjects.

What would you drop after AS? Honestly physics isn't as hard as people make out and I find it enjoyable (I'm not even great at maths)
Why chemistry?

Because Chemistry is the best science to show analytical thinking which is a quality all university's look for in there law applicants!
Because Chemistry is the best science to show analytical thinking which is a quality all university's look for in there law applicants!

surely something like English lit is better for analytical skills for Law.
Well that's why I said swap business for english lit or a language so yes

Economics
History
Chemisry
English lit

would be good have you can get alot of the stuff from english lit from history as its all essay based..
Reply 47
English lit or lang definitely NOT an option.
Reply 48
The whole 'soft subjects'/are these A levels 'good enough' debate is blown out of proportion.

The A levels I did would probably cause hysterical laughter on this forum but guess what, I did them because I enjoyed them (shock horror), my university didn't give a hoot and I'm now at one of the top 10 law schools in the country.

Unless the uni(s) you're targetting specifically say that certain subject will put you at a disadvantage, just do subjects you're actually interested in.

Otherwise it'd be quite sad to spend two years of your life doing subjects you don't really want to do.
Reply 49
Original post by Kenocide
The whole 'soft subjects'/are these A levels 'good enough' debate is blown out of proportion.

The A levels I did would probably cause hysterical laughter on this forum but guess what, I did them because I enjoyed them (shock horror), my university didn't give a hoot and I'm now at one of the top 10 law schools in the country.

Unless the uni(s) you're targetting specifically say that certain subject will put you at a disadvantage, just do subjects you're actually interested in.

Otherwise it'd be quite sad to spend two years of your life doing subjects you don't really want to do.

Thanks, you've posted the most useful and down to earth advice. Out of curiosity what university and what subjects?
Law and business are soft..
A better combination would be economics, history, chemistry/maths, drama/literature
Reply 51
It'd be good if you did one science/maths subject at least. Choose it based on what you enjoy the most.

Why is chemistry more analytical than physics? At University level, physics is the most analytical of the sciences as it deals with fewer variables. Thus it is less reliant on phenomena and more reliant upon logic than other scientific disciplines.
Reply 52
What about Eco,History, Biology and law/buisness studies for as?
Reply 53
What about Eco,History, Biology and law/buisness studies for as?

Why not read through the syllabuses for the various subjects you plan on taking? You can only get an idea for what you might enjoy if you're willing to put the effort in and find out about those courses. Either that or try and see if you can get hold of a CGP guide and flick through it.

Once you've decided which subjects you think you like you can then worry about not choosing soft subjects. The general advice seems to be:

1 of science/maths would be nice
Don't do econ and business together
Law is not well respected so may be better to avoid
Economics, History, a science (bio,chem, physics or maths) and maybe a language or law!
Reply 55
at least take English or Maths. But taking English would be better.
Reply 56
dont do business studies and economics if you want to go to a top 20 uni. ive just been to exeter open day (which is a top 20 uni i think) and they said they dont students to take business studies and economics and class it as one A level rather than two
There's too much overlap between economics and business studies so just do economics. Also as has been said above law is considered soft by a lot of universities so maybe not a great choice.
Original post by Jack22031994
You want to do law at uni? If so DON'T do law a level as I'm pretty sure and have heard unis dint like A level law especially for law degree, which is weird but check

Try Politics as it is good and so is history

I have just finished my a2 exams

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

The idea that universities don't like it if you have a law A-Level if you want to study Law is a misconception, I'm not even sure where it came from...

I don't know about any of the other subjects because Law is the only one I've taken from that list. It's not particularly hard to understand but it's one of those subjects where you have to remember quite a bit and remember case studies and examples to back up your exam answers. I actually quite enjoyed it.

And to be perfectly honest with you, no A-Level is "soft", just do what you want.
Reply 59
Manchester is the only university that specifically says they prefer candidates not to study law A level ! My head of sixth contacted all the Russel Group universities and they were the only one who were against it.
2 people I know have offers for law at Cambridge:
Person one: A2- Law, Geography, Maths and Chemistry
Person two: A2- Law, History, English lit AS- Drama !

Good grades are far more important than subject selection for law ! (of course stay clear of tech, art, media etc ) :tongue:

Do subjects you are confident you will get the grades in - suitability should be fine ( universities will be looking at grades over subject selection )

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest