The Student Room Group

Graduate Salaries - Manchester

Hi All,

This is on behalf of a friend. My friend has just graduated from UoManchester with a 2.1 in Economics & Finance and holds AAAc at A-level. He holds previous experience in a wide range of fields including: accountancy, financial services, banking, marketing and a host of voluntary work.

He is currently looking for a graduate role or analyst-level role within the Manchester region as he would like to stay at home and save accommodation costs.

Does anyone have any advice on the figure of salary he should be looking at for his calibre, or average figures for graduate salaries in Manchester?

Much advice is appreciated, would find it valuable to here views/experiences of others..

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by PoorRichBoy
Hi All,

This is on behalf of a friend. My friend has just graduated from UoManchester with a 2.1 in Economics & Finance and holds AAAc at A-level. He holds previous experience in a wide range of fields including: accountancy, financial services, banking, marketing and a host of voluntary work.

He is currently looking for a graduate role or analyst-level role within the Manchester region as he would like to stay at home and save accommodation costs.

Does anyone have any advice on the figure of salary he should be looking at for his calibre, or average figures for graduate salaries in Manchester?

Much advice is appreciated, would find it valuable to here views/experiences of others..

Thanks

He would like to go into banking/finance btw.
Reply 2

Tell your friend this is edging dangerously close to the 'I've got such and such a qualification so I deserve such and such a job' mentality.

The truth is his academics and work experience sound ample to get him through to interviews, past there it's a whole different ball game and neither I nor anyone else can possibly tell you whether this guy has what it takes to get a top job. He might be a smart, switched on individual who interviews well, or he might be a hard working buffoon with the social skills of a wombat. No way for us to know. Perhaps it's just me, but the fact that he wants to stay at home to save costs while working in well paid jobs such as banking/finance already makes me doubt this guy, but I'm a pessimist so don't pay to much attention to me.

Moving on, I think big 4 would start on low 20s in Manchester and banks could range depending on the company/role from roughly 20-30. Of course there will be plenty of higher ones and plenty of lower ones, but if he can manage high 20s in the Manchester area then he's doing very well. If he can manage low 20s he doesn't have much to worry about either tbh.

FYI - a sensible grad might look at career progression as opposed to starting salary as the deciding factor :tongue:
Reply 3
Grad jobs outside of London appear to be around low 20's, London high 20's.
Reply 4
Original post by M1011
Tell your friend this is edging dangerously close to the 'I've got such and such a qualification so I deserve such and such a job' mentality.

The truth is his academics and work experience sound ample to get him through to interviews, past there it's a whole different ball game and neither I nor anyone else can possibly tell you whether this guy has what it takes to get a top job. He might be a smart, switched on individual who interviews well, or he might be a hard working buffoon with the social skills of a wombat. No way for us to know. Perhaps it's just me, but the fact that he wants to stay at home to save costs while working in well paid jobs such as banking/finance already makes me doubt this guy, but I'm a pessimist so don't pay to much attention to me.

Moving on, I think big 4 would start on low 20s in Manchester and banks could range depending on the company/role from roughly 20-30. Of course there will be plenty of higher ones and plenty of lower ones, but if he can manage high 20s in the Manchester area then he's doing very well. If he can manage low 20s he doesn't have much to worry about either tbh.

FYI - a sensible grad might look at career progression as opposed to starting salary as the deciding factor :tongue:

Thanks a lot for this! He lived out for University for 3years and is quite a party animal, but he wants to live at home to save accom costs and buy a flat eventually.

I don't think many graduate schemes exist in Manchester paying £30k+? I told him to be more inclined towards 24-26k?
Reply 5
Thanks a lot for this! He lived out for University for 3years and is quite a party animal, but he wants to live at home to save accom costs and buy a flat eventually.

I don't think many graduate schemes exist in Manchester paying £30k+? I told him to be more inclined towards 24-26k?

If he ends up with a starting job in the mid 20's he'll have done very well for himself in Manchester (I'm led to believe, I've never looked for a job in Manchester).

That said, I feel I should emphasise - don't just consider the starting pay. Consider the prospects. What will you be earning in 5 years time?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending