The Student Room Group

Nexplanon Reviews?

Scroll to see replies

I had my first one at 16 and it was great, then at 19 I had another.
I didn't feel ill after putting them in.. Just a bit sore in the area they put it. I never got a period throughout the 6 years of mine, occasionally light spotting maybe. I did kind of get monthly mood swings and felt rubbish for a week I assumed I would have had my period.
Just raid the pharmacy, paracetamol and some throat losengers, I doubt it is anything to do with the implant. Best of luck with it :smile: x
In less than a month I would have had my nexplanon implant for a year. I can say at very I was very skeptical because I was getting my period for months at a time and then off for a few weeks. But as of late they haven't been coming at all and if they do very light. I did can weight but I won't blame that on the birth control when I eat the food. But no mood swings when I do change moods though it is rather extreme of I'm happy I'm really happy , of I'm mad I'm really mad. I wouldn't say it's bad because everyone is different and things work differently for there body. Just ask a lot of
Questions if you are thinking about getting it
Reply 182
If anyone was asking me for advice on Nexplanon as a potential form of contraception I would say "DONT DO IT!"
I have had 2 in now, but not even thinking the symptoms I was experiencing was a side effect of the implant... but after a lot of thought, and process of elimination, really I can confirm the implant has ****ed my body up.
I have put on at least 2 stone in the last 3 years. The skin on my face has went to ****. It is overly overly dry to the point where my makeup doesn't even blend on my face.. And constant spots ALL over my face, like acne. And I've bled non stop for about 3 months now... It's actually ridiculous. (Getting it out next week by the way)
I have never felt worse about myself or my looks. I've went from being attractive and confident to depressed and, quite frankly, not so attractive. I'm not saying this is 100% the implant as it's not been confirmed to me by a professional, but to me it's the ONLY explanation... as beforehand, I never had a problem with my weight, my skin was perfect and my self confidence was at an all time high.
I can't warn anyone new enough about this product.
Not everyone reacts in the same way to these things obviously, but the hormones being released are clearly having a serious negative effect on my body and I just think anything that's powerful enough to have these kinds of effects on anyone is not beneficial full stop.
I have no idea why I've waited this long to have it removed!!!
(edited 7 years ago)
I had nexaplanon inserted in February, I had no bleeding or side effects for a month and half and then in April I came on for 2 and half weeks, I came off for 9 days and now up until this date (29.05.2016) I have had a period every 9 days, lasting 6 days. They are not heavy periods and do not cause me any large problems besides some mood swings now and again, I'm just hoping they will even out soon as it's been just over 3 months since it was put in.
I had to come off the combined pill due to getting migraines with aura and I decided to go for the implant instead - 3 years without needing to remember to take a pill, potentially no periods - it sounded great. I wish I knew more about the side effects. I had it in for just under 2 months and experienced awful mood swings and depression (esp in first 3 weeks), constant hunger which led to weight gain of a stone, spots, hives on my face which can apparently be related to progestogen and headaches at the front of my head 3x a day. On top of that my sex drive plummeted to the point where I was put off by the thought of being intimate with my partner. I am sure it affects people in different ways but it just wasn't for me - I definitely think anyone with a history of anxiety or depression should steer clear of nexplanon. I noticed a dramatic change within the first few days of having it in and things just got unbearable so I went to the doctor after a month and they suggested I give it a few more weeks before getting it taken out. 3 weeks later I had it removed and immediately felt so much more relieved. Both procedures to put it in and remove it are easy - the numbing injection stings a bit but I didn't feel anything else.
(edited 7 years ago)
I've just had mine taken out after 6 months. It just didn't settle down at all, to be honest the side effects seemed to get worse if anything :frown: it was worth a try I suppose but it definitely hasn't worked out for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got my nexplanon in July of 15 and had a heavy period for two weeks then didn't have any until May. But now I am having heavy periods and a spotting in between. No other major side effects besides that. I probably will keep it until I'm ready to start a family.
(edited 7 years ago)
I got mine January of this year and it's been really great for me. I don't have any pills to forget to take, and the only side effect I've seen is a little weight gain. I'm not exactly happy with the weight gain, but I'll take it any day over blood, pain, and really bad PMS. Also, no babies :biggrin: I've not had any bleeding since I got it, which is great, and I've not had to worry about really bad cramps and stuff. I still get light cramps some months, but this covers about 10 minutes over two days and they're more than bearable. I would recommend giving it a go for sure if your doctor agrees. I'm incredibly sensitive to medication and the MAP has previously made me very ill so I was a little worried, but this is one of the very few things that doesn't make me feel like I'm dying :woo:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 188
i ve had nexplanon since June 7th 2016, so i ve had it for about a month & I hadn t had a period since about 7 days ago & it s realllllly light & it s just like old blood (brown color) i ve looked online & some people say that it s like that for the full 3 years & it s just really disappointing. i want to be able to have sex but how could i with this constant spotting? im not sure when it will stop or if it will ever stop & i just need some advice as to whether i should get it taken out or or what
Reply 189
I'm on my second nexplanon rod. First three years weren't bad. I still had cramps and bleeding but it was effective in birth control and never needing to worry about what time to take my pill or if I forgot to take it or what have you.

I'm on the second rod now but the experience wasn't great. I had my period for almost a month to start then a week break then for two weeks. It seems to have stopped for another month and I've had cramping for the past week but no bleeding. So it's still convenient but hasn't stopped my periods or cramping or any of my PMS/period symptoms. Still very much in pain.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by hta411
i ve had nexplanon since June 7th 2016, so i ve had it for about a month & I hadn t had a period since about 7 days ago & it s realllllly light & it s just like old blood (brown color) i ve looked online & some people say that it s like that for the full 3 years & it s just really disappointing. i want to be able to have sex but how could i with this constant spotting? im not sure when it will stop or if it will ever stop & i just need some advice as to whether i should get it taken out or or what

I'd try giving it another couple of months, because things like this often do settle down. You could try speaking to your doctor though. I vaguely remember something about giving you something else for a bit to kick things into going back to normal without having to have it taken out, although that's a really vague memory so I could be completely wrong.
Reply 191
I had a nightmare with it I suffered with headaches, back pain I went back to the clinic about it they told me it not to do with the implant but i asked for it to be removed and when they took it out it was bent and they said it wasn't dangerous that it was like that never again will I have it
Reply 192
Hey, I had my implant for 5 years (changed after 3 then replaced with another) I didn't notice any changes, no acne, no weight gain, no mood swings, no babies but about 4 months ago I started bleeding, light but constant for about 2 1/2 - 3 months so decided to get it out, wanted to give my body a break after 5 years of having it in. I feel fine now that I have it out over a week, I was expecting to be an emotional wreck lol My friend on the other hand put on weight and was moody (I thought she was just normal but she begs to differ lol) so two different outcomes, depends on the person really.. :smile:
i am having the same problem with my arm i am feeling moody depressed and nervous so i am seeing my local gp monday to see if i can change to the contraceptive injection
I had the nexplanon implant for two years. I got it after I had my daughter and just had it removed yesterday morning. At three weeks after having it implanted, I started the longest period I've ever had. I bled constantly and heavily for six weeks. (In addition to the six weeks of postpartum bleeding...three months! Yuck!) Over the months I noticed my periods getting more spread out and lighter. They were unpredictable, but manageable. The last six months I had it, i spotted two or three days and that was it so the birth control basically made my periods disappear. On preventing pregnancy, it has done it's job as well. These are the only two things I like about this birth control. I gained over fifty pounds and can NOT lose it for the life of me! I've tried and actually gained a few pounds attempting to diet. My acne has been outrageous for so long now that I forgot I have normally clear skin. As of right now, I have had it out for 36 hours and my face is the clearest it has been since I got it put in! My fatigue and sex drive haven't been great the past few years, either. I work 7-4 and when I get home, i have no energy to do anything EVER. I just want to sleep all the time! I was never like this before and I hope I can get back to normal soon 😊 Anyway, sorry for the super long response! Just wanted to make sure i gave as much information as possible. Good luck! I hope it works better for you than it did for me!
Ive had it for 6 mos. First 3mos i had my period for 38days straight. Stopped for 5 days. Again for 41 days. Stopped 2days. Again for 30 days. No period since. Gained 38 Pounds in first 3mos and even with changing my complete diet to fresh veggies and water and only white meat Im STILL gaining weight. Have my consult for removal in 3 days.
Eeek , I had a HORRIBLE allergic reaction to the implant and they had to take it out as it was all blistered and just didn't work with my body, I had it done at an NHS clinic too. Everyone I know who has it now has gained about two stone and has irregular bleeding. avoid at all costs!!!!! sticking with the contraceptive pill :s-smilie:!!
I'm having exactly the same problem now! I had mine fitted about 9 months ago (my 4th one and never had problems before!) and recently I've been having pain where the implant is sited, shooting down my arm and into my hand. My arm feels heavy and my hand is also very weak with not much feeling except pain or pins and needles. I'm definitely going to the drs as with this being my 4th implant I know something's not right.
You are Here: My TSR > Forums > Life and style > Health > Sexual health > Nexplanon Reviews?The following errors occurred with your submissionThe message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 2 characters.Reply to this threadTitleI'm having exactly the same problem now! I had mine fitted about 9 months ago (my 3rd one and never had problems before!) and recently I've been having pain where the implant is sited, shooting down my arm and into my hand. My arm feels heavy and my hand is also very weak with not much feeling except pain or pins and needles. I'm definitely going to the drs as with this being my 3rd implant I know something's not right.
You are Here: My TSR > Forums > Life and style > Health > Sexual health > Nexplanon Reviews?
The following errors occurred with your submission
The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 2 characters.
Reply to this thread

Title

Re: Nexplanon Reviews?

Make post anonymously
Original post by Janeydru
I'm having exactly the same problem now! I had mine fitted about 9 months ago (my 4th one and never had problems before!) and recently I've been having pain where the implant is sited, shooting down my arm and into my hand. My arm feels heavy and my hand is also very weak with not much feeling except pain or pins and needles. I'm definitely going to the drs as with this being my 4th implant I know something's not right.
😠
subm

Quick Reply

Latest