The Student Room Group

UK Border Force

Scroll to see replies

I got an email about medical questionnaire today as well.
Reply 381
im beginning to think we have been unsuccessful, if we were successful we would have heard by now
The longer this goes on the more I think that too - to start with not hearing anything seemed like a fairly positive sign. Now they've finished interviewing and I think they're probably just concentrating on sorting everything out with the successful candidates.

It can't be any longer than this week so at least we will know soon.
Reply 383
Original post by jellybean55
The longer this goes on the more I think that too - to start with not hearing anything seemed like a fairly positive sign. Now they've finished interviewing and I think they're probably just concentrating on sorting everything out with the successful candidates.

It can't be any longer than this week so at least we will know soon.

I'm trying not to get my hopes up even about hearing by Friday now...
And yea seems like we'll be told we didn't make it...after over 3 weeks of waiting :frown:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 384
I would've rather heard the day after that I was unsuccessful instead of waiting for over 2 weeks. if they are sorting out the applications of those who have been successful and decide to email us after then that is just ridiculous. I doubt it would take a long time to email everyone just to let them know rather than leaving it till the end of the week!
Reply 385
Original post by simon91
I would've rather heard the day after that I was unsuccessful instead of waiting for over 2 weeks. if they are sorting out the applications of those who have been successful and decide to email us after then that is just ridiculous. I doubt it would take a long time to email everyone just to let them know rather than leaving it till the end of the week!

Exactly...and you'd think they'd understand that and sympathise a little and put us out of our misery quickly rather then leave is waiting for so long

Exactly! if we had been told fairly quickly I would have had no issue at all and been able to forget about it. It wouldn't take long to send a generic 'sorry you've been unsuccessful' email. did anyone find out how many vacancies there actually are at their interview? nobody knew when I asked - maybe that's delaying things?
Reply 387
maybe so, they might be finalising the total numbers they need. But if it was 400 then I dont understand why they are recruiting within the civil service aswell so maybe its more. I heard on LBC that during the olympics they said they would employ up to 1200 people to cover terminal 2 aswel for when it opens. But it is SOO annoying that they are taking this long to reply.
Original post by simon91
I did interviews for lab tech positions where I work once and although we knew who we wanted the day after we kept 2 people on a tether for if the guy didn't sign the contract.
Original post by Llamageddon
I did interviews for lab tech positions where I work once and although we knew who we wanted the day after we kept 2 people on a tether for if the guy didn't sign the contract.

yeh that could be the case...are you still waiting to hear back too?
Original post by jellybean55
yeh that could be the case...are you still waiting to hear back too?
Aye. From far too many things. Had 4 interviews with the home office in the last month, all of which I'm yet to hear from.

Please people, save me from the boredom that is laboratory work!
Reply 391
Think it's a case of being on the reserve list incase people fail security clearance which is, unfortunately inevitable.
Reply 392
yeh but they could have at least informed us if that was the case (being on the reserved list), I'll be sending a huge email expressing my anger after having to wait for so many weeks to find out we were unsuccessful. whereas as those who were found out within a week or so. this is why private companies such as capita shouldn't be involved in recruiting for public companies, don't care about the people just the numbers
Reply 393
Original post by simon91
yeh but they could have at least informed us if that was the case (being on the reserved list), I'll be sending a huge email expressing my anger after having to wait for so many weeks to find out we were unsuccessful. whereas as those who were found out within a week or so. this is why private companies such as capita shouldn't be involved in recruiting for public companies, don't care about the people just the numbers

Well said mate 👍

Yeh very well said! the lack of communication is pretty bad. they shouldn't say it's a 3 week wait maximum if they're not going to stick to that. if they are waiting to see if people fail security clearance we could be waiting ages!
Are you sure they even have to email everyone if they have been successful? after the interview I was told only successful candidates will be emailed within a few days, so I wasn't expecting an email saying I had been unsuccessful at all.

Anyone heard back for the asylum case worker yet? x

I agree with the Capita issue, if you do end up unsuccessful (hope you don't) and you want to make a complaint then send them an email,

"If you feel your application has not been treated in accordance with the Code and you wish to make a complaint, you should contact Janet Driver - [email protected] in the first instance. If you are not satisfied with the response you receive from the Department, you can contact the Office of the Civil Service Commissioners."
When I asked after my interview they said they would let everybody know the outcome.
Reply 397
I haven't heard back for the Asylum Caseworker role, either.
Reply 398
Still nothing here...

Reply 399
The recruitment principles for the civil services states that -

When a department or agency is running a campaign to recruit a large number of staff, it may be impractical to wait until the end of the competition and offer jobs in a strict merit order. Departments and agencies may offer jobs out of strict merit order, but in doing so must ensure that the individuals appointed are clearly towards the top of the likely merit list. Candidates who are likely to be further down the list or borderline will have to wait until the end of the process before an appointment can be confirmed. This is to ensure that the most meritorious candidates will be appointed by the end of the competition.

perhaps we are further down or border line, the candidates who ticked every box in k42's earlier post may have been offered appointments to fill the posts up in September. The sheet we were given did say "we are looking for some successful candidates to be starting with us at heathrow in September"

As they require staff urgently they may be rushing through the process of bringing the candidates who have already heard (such as who have stated they have been successful in this thread) for the posts in September, these candidates most likely did very well in the interviews and therefore would be at the top of the list, so giving them confirmation before the process has ended would not have put others at a disadvantage. After this process is done to recruit those for September, then perhaps we will hear the outcome of our application.

I have read several articles relating to the amount of people they are recruiting and the most common number is 480 border force officers to be recruited, therefore I think that maybe a couple hundred will be posted for September and those at the bottom (for us who are still waiting) will most likely hear after the pre employment checks for those starting in September have been done.

Based on the text above and in the sheet we were given, I can only assume this is the most likely scenario as it would be very difficult to bring 480 new recruits and train them altogether to start in September. One last thing - the sheet did also say "if you have not heard within this time frame it does NOT mean you have been unsuccessful." So it can go either way but hopefully this post gives those who are still waiting an inch of hope!
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending