The Student Room Group

UK Border Force

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Torigirl
Its definately a Border Force issue, rather than local. Gatwick is only one place of many that have had their recruitment put on hold due to the current budget constraints. We were told at work that the only place currently able to recruit was Stansted, but how many vacancies they have I have know idea, is it worth you asking if you could transfer your application?

How are you finding working at a port shift wise? Do your shifts tend to over run a lot? I work in UKBF and it may be possible to move to the airport in the near future. We do 24/7 shifts at the minute but we tend to get away on time because it's office based.
Our shifts don't seem to run over a lot, unless of course there's a job and then you can, but you get the time back. I'm really loving working at a port, we are being given the option to transfer to stansted at the moment, but I like the variety of the work I do,I would hate to do just immigration work, much prefer customs work especially boarding ships (not that we do it a lot but at least we do get the chance).
Where are you based at the moment? We've been told we could transfer to either stansted or Luton airports, on a level transfer, have you been given those options as well?
Reply 4922
Since they are not keeping us updated as often as we would like, we should update each other. I called today and was told they still have no idea. I asked how much notice we would get in regards to training dates as I have to give 1 months notice. She said providing the job I was offered is still available (worrying), they would give us dates applicable to when we are able to be released from current jobs. I don't know whether we all have the same contact for staffing from the letters, my contact is Folkestone. They said they deal with most areas. Nearly in April when the budgets should be confirmed so hold in there guys. Fingers crossed for us all.
Original post by Kate_E
Since they are not keeping us updated as often as we would like, we should update each other. I called today and was told they still have no idea. I asked how much notice we would get in regards to training dates as I have to give 1 months notice. She said providing the job I was offered is still available (worrying), they would give us dates applicable to when we are able to be released from current jobs. I don't know whether we all have the same contact for staffing from the letters, my contact is Folkestone. They said they deal with most areas. Nearly in April when the budgets should be confirmed so hold in there guys. Fingers crossed for us all.

Again it's that possibility that our positions might not be available that is still annoying.
Reply 4924
Original post by Mrwalton
Again it's that possibility that our positions might not be available that is still annoying.

I know if we 100% had the job I wouldn't mind waiting but it's the uncertainty that is really annoying.
Original post by Kate_E
I know if we 100% had the job I wouldn't mind waiting but it's the uncertainty that is really annoying.

I just don't understand that when they I initially deferred us it was on the basis that we would definitely have our jobs, but ever since then they keep on dropping hints that we may not. I just hope they have not kept us waiting all this time just to turn around and tell us their are no positions available.
Reply 4926
I just don't understand that when they I initially deferred us it was on the basis that we would definitely have our jobs, but ever since then they keep on dropping hints that we may not. I just hope they have not kept us waiting all this time just to turn around and tell us their are no positions available.

Yep, the e-mail doesn't mention anything about posts not being available. It even talks a bit about future recruitment activity.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4927
My post has been withdrawn. Really disappointed. Good luck everyone else.
Reply 4928
Original post by Kate_E

Like Kate, mine has been withdrawn. Good luck all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kate_E

So sorry to hear that
When did you get told?
Reply 4930
Mid morning via email

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4931
This morning. I rang and they said all South vacancies have been withdrawn. But other areas are still on hold.
So sorry to hear that
When did you get told?
Original post by Kate_E
This morning. I rang and they said all South vacancies have been withdrawn. But other areas are still on hold.

So did you have a start date that was deferred or had you not received a start date and had been put on hold?
Original post by Fac51
Like Kate, mine has been withdrawn. Good luck all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Weren't you given any alternatives or to hold your application until the next recruitment drive?
Reply 4934
Weren't you given any alternatives or to hold your application until the next recruitment drive?

Nope. Nothing. Just a generic e-mail saying the position has been withdrawn. No explanation as to why they've withdrawn it at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4935
Thank you for taking the time to make your application.

Following an internal review of Home Office vacancies and after careful consideration we have unfortunately had to take the decision to withdraw this recruitment campaign.

I realise that this will come as a disappointment to you following your earlier success and your commitment to securing this position.
I would like to apologise for any inconvenience this has caused you.

Regards,

CSR Home Office Recruitment Team
So did you have a start date that was deferred or had you not received a start date and had been put on hold?
Reply 4936
I asked and she said as they didn't know whether there would be any recruitment they were not holding our vacancies. We have to reapply. She seemed to think there wouldn't be any recruitment for a year atleast. Hopefully it isn't that long.
Just received a letter today saying Border Force will have very few vacancies to give now and during the reminder of the year, and therefore if interested in working for BF in the future, they are willing to keep me on a waiting list for a further 12 months should any vacancy in my grade arise!

As anyone received similar letter/email?
Original post by Mama-mia
Just received a letter today saying Border Force will have very few vacancies to give now and during the reminder of the year, and therefore if interested in working for BF in the future, they are willing to keep me on a waiting list for a further 12 months should any vacancy in my grade arise!

As anyone received similar letter/email?

No
Were you given a start date originally?
What airport were you due to start at?
No
Were you given a start date originally?
What airport were you due to start at?

At Gatwick, I wasn't given a start date!:frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending