The Student Room Group

UK Border Force

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by JAC9700
Hi All, firstly Well Done to all who have had their start dates confirmed, it must be a HUGE relief.

Received my offer 24 August, got security link 14 September.... still waiting for security clearance to be confirmed. Feeling extremely stressed as I've been out of work for a while.

Does anyone know what the new uniform looks like? I've been watching Nothing to Declare UK and I quite like the current uniform...white shirts, black trousers, black tie and dark NATO type jersey. Think it looks quite authoritive like the UK Police uniform.

With the recent split from the UKBA to make UK Border Force a separate & accountable Law Enforcement Agency, I personally feel the new uniform should most definitely have a Police feel to it and that uniform standards are extremely important. Coming from a Police background, that's just my personal opinion.

Would welcome any thoughts/ comments.

I'm not the only one still waiting on SC clearance then. Phew!
Reply 781
Original post by jattxd
SSK i have to agree i have worked in T3 for over 5 years and T5 for 6 months, for shere crazy times T3 has it however T5 is amazing also ;-)

haha another advantage of T3 over T5 is that you can access the central bus station without having to take the heathrow connect between terminals!
Reply 782
Just got my start date, 12th November.

I confirmed there are 16 people on each course and we will be most likely part of a mobile team of officers to be deployed to wherever needed

So excited to get started! Handing in my notice at my current work tomorrow! (non civil service)
Reply 783
Original post by musicman5

I confirmed there are 16 people on each course and we will be most likely part of a mobile team of officers to be deployed to wherever needed

So excited to get started! Handing in my notice at my current work tomorrow! (non civil service)

does that mean we will be doing our hours at various locations but definitely be doing the contracted hours for the salary we are getting? what is all terminals are full for a week and we they don't need us then
Reply 784
Original post by musicman5

Congratulations! Did you ring them up mate?
Original post by ssk1
does that mean we will be doing our hours at various locations but definitely be doing the contracted hours for the salary we are getting? what is all terminals are full for a week and we they don't need us then

Its really very simple and it shouldn't be a surprise as not only was it in the initial job description when you first applied but I myself have stated it on this thread at least a couple of times.

You (new staff) are on different terms and conditions to existing border force officer staff.

They (existing staff) are static

You (new staff) are mobile

They (existing staff) because they are static, have no need for a driving licence

You (new staff) need a driving licence because, after you've passed an airside driving test (knowing the rules and regulations of driving airside), will drive to the different terminals (via airside roads) as passenger demand requires.

Apart from the time the Icelandic volcano stopped all air traffic there has never been and never will be a time when you're not needed at least somewhere, hence, you'll always work your hours and always recieve your contracted pay.

Reply 786
Hey everyone!

Ive managed to read a couple of pages (there are so many on this thread) and I can see a few who have already made it through the process and secured jobs...well done!

I have only recently applied to the post of immigration officer and am due for the assessment centre. I'm unsure as to what I will be doing for some time during the process as in the email it states a 30 min written test and 45 min competency test only and yet my slot is 2h 15 mins long :/ is the remaining time just for document checking?

Cheers
Reply 787
Original post by rubbish-username
Its really very simple and it shouldn't be a surprise as not only was it in the initial job description when you first applied but I myself have stated it on this thread at least a couple of times.

You (new staff) are on different terms and conditions to existing border force officer staff.

They (existing staff) are static

You (new staff) are mobile

They (existing staff) because they are static, have no need for a driving licence

You (new staff) need a driving licence because, after you've passed an airside driving test (knowing the rules and regulations of driving airside), will drive to the different terminals (via airside roads) as passenger demand requires.

Apart from the time the Icelandic volcano stopped all air traffic there has never been and never will be a time when you're not needed at least somewhere, hence, you'll always work your hours and always recieve your contracted pay.

cheers for clarifying, sounds like our roles will be quite fun having to drive around etc I think being mobile would be better than static because you won't be glued to one terminal and have the chance to meet more people.
Reply 788
It is a relief innit...to find you're not alone. Been told today that I won't hear 'till the middle or end of next week at the earliest, so thats gonna make it 30 plus days minimum. I'm unemployed, got 2 small children to bring up and a mortgage to pay. Got such a hellava lot riding on this I just wish they'd go ahead and send me the rejection or fail letter rather than prolonging this agony. At least then I can put more thought and effort into alternative job searches.

Mine had been held up as they wanted a reference from past employer. Have they given you a reason as to why it's taking so long?
Reply 789
I would definetely keep calling them to speed up the process from my experience.

They were waiting for my health questionairre, which hadn't been sent over by the people that were dealing with it. I had actually completed it so all they needed to do was call the health team and confirm I
have had the clearance.

Had I not called them today, they probably wouldn't have seen this for a while because of the number of applicants, and I certainly wouldn't have had my start date agreed today.

At the end of the day they want to process everyone as quickly as possible so its in their interest too!

Good luck to all those still waiting
Yeah something similar. Trouble is....the previous employer concerned......is an employer I had exercised my employment law rights against instigating an official grievance procedure. They don't like me and have, over the last 4 years, messed up several chances of me finding a job.
Why didn't you start a negligent reference case then?

I'm not even convinced they bothered to get mine.
Original post by Llamageddon
Why didn't you start a negligent reference case then?

I'm not even convinced they bothered to get mine.

Bit more complicated than that mate and for obvious reasons I don't want to go into too many details about it here. But I can say that I know for sure they are bothering to get references for me because 2 previous employers have informed me that they have received letters / emails from them.
Bit more complicated than that mate and for obvious reasons I don't want to go into too many details about it here. But I can say that I know for sure they are bothering to get references for me because 2 previous employers have informed me that they have received letters / emails from them.
Well best of luck. I would hope that if the last place gave a bad reference that they would take it in context. I've had my fair share of tiffs with one who was just a gigantic arse but fortunately that organisation just gives dates that I was employed for, wage and responsibilities in the reference.
I have an Immigration Officer Assessment coming up next week. One of the stages is a competency based interview covering:

- Identify Options and make Well Judged Decisions
- Develop and Maintain Good Working Relationships
- Gather and Manage Information
- Building capability - Managing Self and Others
- Leading on Equality and Diversity

Can anybody suggest what to expect and how to prepare?
Apparently I overestimated how long they'd take to get back to us, just got a conditional offer for Immigration Case Owner, subject to security, etc.

:woo:
Apparently I overestimated how long they'd take to get back to us, just got a conditional offer for Immigration Case Owner, subject to security, etc.<br />
<br />
:woo:

Well done! How did they contact you? By email or on the phone?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 796
Original post by oneinamillion
I have an Immigration Officer Assessment coming up next week. One of the stages is a competency based interview covering:

- Identify Options and make Well Judged Decisions
- Develop and Maintain Good Working Relationships
- Gather and Manage Information
- Building capability - Managing Self and Others
- Leading on Equality and Diversity

Can anybody suggest what to expect and how to prepare?

You simply have to tell them about a time when you have done each of those and they will ask you questions about the situation. You can use the same examples that you used on your application.
Hey guyz

how do you apply to the UK border force?

thnkx in advance

p.s still a undergraduate student
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 798
Right, rang them up today to get an update on start date etc - Was told that previous employer enquiries are almost done. Seems clearance is based on three separate things - health, criminal record (security check) and previous employer checks.

As I am self employed, seems to be taking slightly longer than others.
Reply 799
So got my confirmation phone call today for immigration case owner role.. well 'I have been recommended by the interview panel' at least. This put a bit of a downer on things, but hopefully I don't have anything to worry about with the clearance side of things!

Anyone know roughly how long all this will take, maybe foolishly booked a holiday (for four days) in mid/late December, does this need to be cancelled lol?

Also, getting a bit confused with our rate of pay and can't find the original advert for the job, back in 2005 it was nearly 26k for Central London, will assume it has gone down since then (unfortunately) ??

Congrats to everyone else that has made it through, *touch wood*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending