The Student Room Group

UK Border Force

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
Original post by zoas
Jahuss65,

i believe it's the conditional offer via email and training start dates.

Have you had yours already and if so how long did it take? Thanks btw
Reply 1181
As soon as I got the letter from DSU regarding security clearance I received an email from them the following day. It would be a good idea to call the recruitment team just to notify them that you have passed the SC that will prompt them to send you the confirmation email.
im still waiting for my training dates. They did say January, so I'm hopeful.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1182
Original post by zoas
Thanks for your feedback. I'm feeling much better now.

Kanmi,
have you been offered the same wages, pension and leave as your pervious job? Or will you be starting at a new pay scale?

Hi

I will be starting on the same scale as everyone else. I specifically asked at the interview and I was told that this recruitment campaign is an external exercise. And so I would need to resign outright if I am successful and wish to join them. I have opted to resign and join them. I am on course to hand in my letter tomorrow. I am looking forward to this new role.

Regards

Kanmi
Reply 1183
Original post by kanmi
Hi

I will be starting on the same scale as everyone else. I specifically asked at the interview and I was told that this recruitment campaign is an external exercise. And so I would need to resign outright if I am successful and wish to join them. I have opted to resign and join them. I am on course to hand in my letter tomorrow. I am looking forward to this new role.

Regards

Kanmi

I am existing civil servant and I have been told I can go across on marked time so will be taking my pay scale and pension and have completed the relevant forms
Reply 1184
Original post by Klm26
I am existing civil servant and I have been told I can go across on marked time so will be taking my pay scale and pension and have completed the relevant forms

Lucky you. My own HR told me it's a NO NO. That I can't hold down my present job while in the employ of another. Well, I am not bothered. I hope for the best in my next move.
Reply 1185
Any IO people got their SC clearances yet? If so, when did you submit. Trying to get a rough linescale.
Reply 1186
Original post by kanmi
Lucky you. My own HR told me it's a NO NO. That I can't hold down my present job while in the employ of another. Well, I am not bothered. I hope for the best in my next move.

If you don't mind can you tell me what department you are with?
Reply 1187
Original post by Klm26

What department are you with?
Reply 1188
Original post by zoas
What department are you with?

DWP
Reply 1189
Original post by kanmi
DWP

Oh...some on this thread from DWP started Border Force training in November and mentioned they were able to transfer over. Think they work in London or outskirts
Reply 1190
I'm in DWP and I'm transferring over. It's going to be a level transfer. Not a new recruit.
Reply 1191
I am considering applying for the new vacancies advertised with the border force, but I'm not sure if I meet the eligibility requirements:

You have to have been resident in the UK for the 5 years before you apply.

I spent 30 months travelling outside the UK on casual work visas but I didn't hold residency visas for any of the countries I travelled in, I was still a UK resident, just on a massive holiday.

I'm taking it this means I am not eligible to apply? Or is this rule for people who have never resided in the UK?
Reply 1192
There's normally a number or email for further info on the vacancies, just contact them and ask them. You might have a problem in passing the security clearance as they want to know exactly what you have been up to in the last 5 years in the UK. But I would defiantly call them and ask them. Or you can apply and see where you get to.
Original post by Fee007
Hi everyone

Just seen this forum, was wondering if there's anyone starting their training Jan 14th for the Border Force Officer position?

Original post by Klm26
I start on the 14th yay

Original post by kanmi
Hi

I am also starting on 14th January.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I start on the 14th too....lol..

Wooohooo (not really..lol)
Original post by musicman5
I have been employed as an immigration officer (border force officer) at Heathrow. My comments below are solely based on this role. This is a permanent role.Having just finished my training period and starting the mentoring period this week, I just wanted to share my experience and manage a few expectations.A few home truths;Do not expect to have a 'welcome pack' - I received an email with some information about the structure f the training program (which is 4 weeks in total), directions to where the training is , and some other information about parking during this time etc. Any extra info you need is given on an ongoing basis, so don't worry about feeling in the dark.
Do not expect a contract before you start the training - I had mine by the end of the first week sent by post. If you are relocating make sure they have the right address to avoid delays.You will most likely have to pay for parking during the training (this is reimbursed after getting to your terminal) a free parking pass is provided once you start in the job. Mine cost a fiver a day at a local car park.You will most likely not get a uniform before you start (i have been told to wear business wear, but a border force tie has been provided. apparently the rest of the uniform is on order)
The shift Rota may change at short notice, and you are expected to be flexible. This is written into the contract and is on all the job info, so don't be shocked if it happens! Just keep a note of all the changes that are made.All this said, I am still as excited as I was before;The training is excellent and the trainers are all very experienced officers, themselves highly trained to deliver the program. They are extremely knowledgeable and patient. They want everyone to pass (no-one has failed by the way!), so will help you in any way they can. The groups are great and it is fantastic to be with like minded people who are all as enthusiastic as you. There is a real mix of people so lots of friends to be made!The training really opens your eyes to the wider issues in play regarding immigration, and sometimes this will challenge you. I love this aspect of the job though :smile:Everyone that started being mentored over the weekend that I have spoken to have said they love the job!The home office may have sorted all these issues out for the January recruits onwards, but if not remember this is a massive organisation that is going through the biggest recruitment campaign in its history. We will make up one fifth of all the border force staff at Heathrow, so we are all part of a huge change, and you should be proud and excited to be part of it.My advice is to not get too disheartened, stick with it as I am sure you will love it!Hope this helps some people who feel in the dark and frustrated.
Musicman5.

What no Welcome Pack...guess giving all the money to the banks meant they had to "cut back" on something..lol..

I think I will be the first person in their history to fail....just not feeling this job...money is ok...I don't know.

No welcome pack eh...thats like a major bummer man..

Thanks for taking the time out to post this...
Reply 1195
Original post by zoas
I'm in DWP and I'm transferring over. It's going to be a level transfer. Not a new recruit.

Hi zoas

My recruitment campaign is for the 70 Heathrow border force officer vacancy. I was told at the interview that I will need to resign to join. I did not ask for a transfer from shared services. I only requested for special leave without pay and which they declined. Since I have now resigned, I will have to go along with whatever comes my way as a result.

Out of interest, which recruitment campaign is yours? When did your start with the application process?

Kanmi
Reply 1196
I applied 1st June. They advertised for 400 staff. Interview on 9th August. Told I passed the next day. Security cleared on 10th October. Starting training 21st January.
Original post by zoas
I applied 1st June. They advertised for 400 staff. Interview on 9th August. Told I passed the next day. Security cleared on 10th October. Starting training 21st January.

brilliant...congratulations
Original post by zoas

Awesome Congrats man, if anyone needed a well deserved break it was you.
Reply 1199
Thanks a lot guys.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending