The Student Room Group

Did your driving instructor come with you on the test?

It's your choice. I'm really not bothered, if he wants to come he can, but if he doesn't want to he doesn't have have (He won't decide for me though :colondollar:)

How did you decide whether to have them in the back or not?

Scroll to see replies

I never had my driving instructor in the back for my tests.

Why would I want the extra stress of having another person watching me drive? Tests are stressful enough without glancing into the rearview mirror and seeing your instructor sitting in the back.

My advice, don't have him there.
Original post by helen-a-ravenclaw
I never had my driving instructor in the back for my tests.

Why would I want the extra stress of having another person watching me drive? Tests are stressful enough without glancing into the rearview mirror and seeing your instructor sitting in the back.

My advice, don't have him there.

This.

I didn't have my instructor on my test either.
My instructor said himself that it's best I don't have him in the car for my test, lol. So I dunno if it makes much difference or not, but I did OK and passed 2nd time (didn't have instructor in car either times)
No. He stayed in the test centre polishing off his 'anguished face'.
No, 1 person watching all the mishaps was enough.
Reply 6
Mine didn't come with me. I never even thought of it and wouldn't have wanted him there really.
Reply 7
Original post by Runninground
It's your choice. I'm really not bothered, if he wants to come he can, but if he doesn't want to he doesn't have have (He won't decide for me though :colondollar:)

How did you decide whether to have them in the back or not?

its a trick question. Those who still need their instructor show signs of dependance and that they are not confident in their driving. If you want to look good and confident you cant have you instructor in the back

its like having your parents come with you in a job interview... you wont get the job!! :biggrin:
No, I wouldn't suggest it to anyone. I guess some may see them as a comfort but I would see it as extra pressure.

I doubt any instructor would ask to come.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
I had my instructor with me, although it was my uncle, so I didn't really feel pressured having him sitting in the back. I think it can be helpful, especially if you don't pass the test, so you get some more feedback on how you drove.
No, he was huge and would block my view for maneuvers :wink: also, I live in the welsh valleys and having the extra weight on something like a hill start would make me panic a bit :smile:
First one I didn't. I messed up because of genuine anxiety (I wasn't just a bit nervous, I had a lot banking on me passing and got really stressed) and the instructor really didn't believe me, he thought it was just 'bad luck'. Made him come along the second time and he watched me freak out and make a stupid mistake, and then believed me :p:

Third time, I got prescribed some beta blockers. I took my test on the day the independent driving thing was introduced, so I let my instructor sit in so he could see the format of the new test. Also to prove to him that I wasn't going to freak out and mess that one up.
Mine did which I didn't mind at the time. However, I wish he didn't afterwards :cry2: On the drive home he was telling me that I should have failed :colonhash:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by paragus3
its a trick question. Those who still need their instructor show signs of dependance and that they are not confident in their driving. If you want to look good and confident you cant have you instructor in the back

its like having your parents come with you in a job interview... you wont get the job!! :biggrin:

Or it shows you are so confident that you can have two people watching your every move and not be too worried :biggrin::redface:
Reply 14
Original post by Runninground
Or it shows you are so confident that you can have two people watching your every move and not be too worried :biggrin::redface:

just like you i personally would feel more pressure if i had my instructor with me lol wich is why i didnt

but my brother told me that they make face expressions when you do something wrong like not signalling etc and therefore the guy on your driving test will note this and would be more strick on you.
I had mine in for all 3 of mine. It's was so that if I failed then she could see what I did wrong and correct me on my next lesson.

It worked, somewhat :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I didn't have a driving instructor as my dad taught me to drive.

He wasn't particularly bothered about it, but I informed him that under no circumstances would I want him sat in the back during the test.
He just sat on a wall outside the test centre until I got back. When the examiner and I got out of the car he came running over and I told him I passed. To which he did a lap around the car park, celebrating the fact he managed to teach me how to drive despite not being an instructor.

Only after he did this did he realise that the kid in the car next to me failed his driving test.. & his dad had also taught him, but he was an actual instructor.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by TattyBoJangles
I didn't have a driving instructor as my dad taught me to drive.

He wasn't particularly bothered about it, but I informed him that under no circumstances would I want him sat in the back during the test.
He just sat on a wall outside the test centre until I got back. When the examiner and I got out of the car he came running over and I told him I passed. To which he did a lap around the car park, celebrating the fact he managed to teach me how to drive despite not being an instructor.

Only after he did this did he realise that the kid in the car next to me failed his driving test.. & his dad had also taught him, but he was an actual instructor.

Aww, that's so cute lol.
Reply 18
Having passengers is awful if you're not used too them. You try to use your internal mirror, and suddenly all you can see is person!
I wanted to have him there purely because if I made stupid mistakes which meant I failed, I knew I would instantly forget what I did exactly and wanted him there to help me to learn from them. Anyway in the test he sat behind me so I could barely see him anyway, he clearly tried to stay out of the way when I was reversing or looking out of the back window and didn't distract me in anyway, so I wouldn't say it was a bad thing at all, anyway I passed first time so it didn't matter in the end. Also he was really nice afterwards, saying that he was willing me to pass the whole way round and after about 10 minutes thought I would pass, which made me feel better as I still think it went pretty badly.

But afterwards it made me feel more reassured as he just kind of chatted with the examiner while he made his final notes I panicked in the drivers seat, knowing I couldn't talk at that point. Then again a friend of mine took 4 tests, the first 3 she didn't have hers with her, on her last one after what I said she decided to have him with her, but her examiner was being moderated (by someone who had done one of her previous test), so there was already an additional passenger so she decided to go without him and passed anyway. So clearly having two people in the car (and feeling judged by them as well) didn't affect her.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending