The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
aaahhhh this takes me back *sniff*

keep up a good work ethic throughout the year and make good revision notes as you do module tests - you'll realllyyyyy value it when it comes to exams!!!
:smile:

and if you have module exams make the most of them... don't adopt the "I can retake them in year 11" habit.... my friends did that - and regretted it when it came to year 11 :biggrin:

(going into year 12 in sept.)
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by g.k.galloway
aaahhhh this takes me back *sniff*

keep up a good work ethnic throughout the year and make good revision notes as you do module tests - you'll realllyyyyy value it when it comes to exams!!!
:smile:

and if you have module exams make the most of them... don't adopt the "I can retake them in year 11" habit.... my friends did that - and regretted it when it came to year 11 :biggrin:

(going into year 12 in sept.)

Our year is linear so everyone now has to take all their modules at the end of Year 11...not sure if this is good or not
Reply 3
Original post by 3mm@
Our year is linear so everyone now has to take all their modules at the end of Year 11...not sure if this is good or not

I feel sorry for you...I hated the linear subjects I did...you don't have anything to fall back on. for instance, in our science exams we could predict what we needed to get for certain grades by june as we had already done 3/4 of it... also meant we could afford to muck one up! :smile:

But at least you only have one lot of exams I suppose...
Oh hi dere year 10's! Year 11 of 2013 here :ahee: - All I got to say is do not slack off, if you do most of your work in year 10 then you will have an easy but still challenging year 11!

Key Stage 4 is probably the most important time of your lives and you should not waste it messing about. But don't take this the wrong way and not have a social life, however it may be preferable to spend more/some time revising.
Original post by Maths0
Hello! :smile:

I'm a Year 9-Year 10 more or less! I've chosen for my GCSE options:

Triple Science
French
History

Along with (compulsory): English Literature+Language, Maths :awesome:, Technology (Product design), R.S and core PE. = 10.5 GCSEs.

I've got to do:
English
English Lit
Maths (and further maths certificate)
Triple Science
Geography
History
Textiles
Business Studies
French

Total: 12 GCSEs (no RE-thank GOD)
Reply 6
Woo! Same here.

I have:

(Compulsory)
Maths (Probably to be followed up with Statistics in Year 11)
English Language (probably to be followed up with Enlgish Lit in Year 11)
Science
RE

Optional:

Triple Science
French (already done this year)
Spanish
Mandarin
History
Geography
Economics

Anyone else glad to be moving out of the stage where teachers prejudged against intelectually enriched pupils like us because they're only in year 9? I've had that on countless occassions, and now I'm glad that I can be considered more mature. This is why I think Year 7, 8 and 9 really needs to be called "Foundation" because teachers still "bring down" higher achieving students when they generalize them against others in their year.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Ahh year 10... :moon:

Just some advice from me: Make sure you all try really hard and do your best in your controlled assessments/exams. It makes year 11 (and your GCSEs) less stressful :smile:

And if you ever need any help in any subject, there are loads of people on TSR who are willing to help. Just make sure you ask (I'm a maths and science sort of person so if you ever need help in those subjects, feel free to drop me a message. I can also advise on GCSE/A-Level options :smile: ) :smile:

Good luck in your GCSE journey :h:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Maths0
Hello! :smile:

I'm a Year 9-Year 10 more or less! I've chosen for my GCSE options:

Triple Science
French
History

Along with (compulsory): English Literature+Language, Maths :awesome:, Technology (Product design), R.S and core PE. = 10.5 GCSEs.

I took all those (except product design) and my advice would be, for French, learn sentence structures quickly and learn them well, and also go deeper and learn more advanced grammatical structures it always helps, and find a way to memorise long pieces of French :smile:
History is all about technique, I did my GCSE in year nine and got a good grade, so I'm doing it at a level now, my advice is to know your content fairly well, but most of all learn HOW to answer the questions...
Yes! Maths is Awesome!!! Make the most of opportunities they give you, so if they offer maths gcse early then do it! As long as you're ready! :biggrin:

Year 10, going into year 11. :smile:
Reply 9
I'm doing -

Edexcel Mathmatics
OCR FSMQ Additional Mathmatics
AQA English Language
AQA English Literature
OCR Twenty First Century Science (Triple Award) (Finished B1,B2,C1,C2,P1.P2 and halfway through B3)
Edexcel Religious Studies (Already finished Unit 8:Religion & Society Christianity & Islam)
OCR Mordern World History
Edexcel Geography
AQA German
AQA Drama
AQA Economics
AQA Statistics
CIE IGCSE Accounting
I believe I'm a Year 10... Anyone care to confirm this for me? (Don't judge by age. Seriously. Over here, we can have 13 year olds and 16 year olds in the same class, and it really won't matter.)

I'm not English, so the system is a little weird to me. Here (In Tanzania!) we have seven years of Primary if you're doing the National syllabus, which I did. Then I shifted to IGCSE for sec. I'm taking my IGCSEs next year. IGCSE=Yr 11, right? So that means me=Yr 10=We are all in the same boat? Correct?

*Sigh* At least the school names are all the same, and I don't have to puzzle out the difference between Jr High and High School and what a Freshman and that-other-thing is, like I have to do when I'm talking to most US students!
Original post by Maths0
I think so... :s-smilie:

I sure hope so! 80% of my 'sources' tell me that I'm correct... Whether they are correct, I don't know.

And to everyone currently enjoying their summer, enjoy it! We just started school two weeks ago, and we're swamped with homework—and lectures. Lots of lectures about determining our career and taking international exams. It is exhausting.
Reply 12
:hi:

Wow, not long ago it was my turn in the year 10 thread! Trust me, time passes really quickly in the next two years so make the most of it! Put the work in now while you can - trust me, it's not a good feeling when you look back and wish you'd tried harder. :frown:

But most of all, have fun! :biggrin: Feel free to ask if you need help/advice/whatever. :smile:
English Language *
English Literature *
Mathematics *
Biology +
Chemistry +
Physics +
RE @
Welsh *
Media *
History *
Photography =
Art =
Geography *
French *
Business Studies *
Welsh Baccalaureate Intermediate Level *

* WJEC
+ OCR
@AQA
= Edexcel

That's a list of everything I'm doing or have done... So if you have any questions regarding them, don't hesitate to ask :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Wawasan
Woo! Same here.

I have:

(Compulsory)
Maths (Probably to be followed up with Statistics in Year 11)
English (probably to be followed up with Enlgish Lit in Year 11)
Science
RE

Optional:

Triple Science
French (already done this year)
Spanish
Mandarin
History
Geography
Economics

Anyone else glad to be moving out of the stage where teachers prejudged against intelectually enriched pupils like us because they're only in year 9? I've had that on countless occassions, and now I'm glad that I can be considered more mature. This is why I think Year 7, 8 and 9 really needs to be called "Foundation" because teachers still "bring down" higher achieving students when they generalize them against others in their year.

You better get your teacher to check this but I'm pretty sure you can't take GCSE English and English Lit and you have to take either GCSE English or English Language and Literature.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Dalek1099
You better get your teacher to check this but I'm pretty sure you can't take GCSE English and English Lit and you have to take either GCSE English or English Language and Literature.
I think he just means he's doing English Language in year 10 and Literature in year 11.
Reply 16

Nope I'm doing English Language next year (year 10) and then English Literature in Year 11. They both share the controlled assessments, with exams determining the rest of the grades.
Original post by Wawasan
Nope I'm doing English Language next year (year 10) and then English Literature in Year 11. They both share the controlled assessments, with exams determining the rest of the grades.

If your taking English Language next year then you will have to take English Literature no probably about it,I think you should be able to do Modular for English Language.

These are the GCSEs I have done or are doing:
English Language -I have completed the full GCSE and have 100% of my result,with 40% being moderated,which works out as an A*,91%-I get my moderated result back in August.
English Literature-I have completed the full GCSE-I know 75% of my mark,with the other 25% back in August,I'm currently on an A,89%.
Maths-I have completed 60% of the course,I have my result for 26.7% of the course and the other 33% in August,I'm currently on an A*,99%.
Further Maths-just started this course.
Core Science(Compulsory)-Completed full GCSE-results back in August have currently about 75% of the mark,which works out at about 83%,A grade but I'm have resat 50% the course this June and sat another 25% and my coursework mark needs to be moderated.
Additional Science(Compulsory)-Taking this next year have just about started studying for it.
Double Business(Y9 Option)-Am currently on an A/A* grade,after 33% of the course and about a third of another coursework unit has been completed but not marked,I got the highest mark for the first unit in my class.
Double PE(Compulsory)-I'm not quite sure on this one because my teacher hasn't really said this subject is the one I'm quite confused about all I know is that I think I have finished one unit and am in the middle of the next one and am on an A/B grade.
Double ICT(Y9 option Extension on Compulsory)-About 70% of the course is completed,with me on an A/A* grade and one unit I completed I was the only one,who sent that unit into moderation because the rest of the class are way behind me.
French(Compulsory)-15% of the course completed,the 15% was coursework which is currently marked as an A grade,80%.
German(Y7 Option)-full GCSE completed in year 9,A grade 81%.
RE-half of the course completed,result for the 50% back in August.
Geography-half of the course completed,25% result confirmed,A* 100%, other 25% confirmed in August.
X

That's a lot of information, who asked for it? Also I did English Language this year and I'll do English literature next year... So why can't (s)he?
Reply 19
If your taking English Language next year then you will have to take English Literature no probably about it,I think you should be able to do Modular for English Language.

These are the GCSEs I have done or are doing:
English Language -I have completed the full GCSE and have 100% of my result,with 40% being moderated,which works out as an A*,91%-I get my moderated result back in August.
English Literature-I have completed the full GCSE-I know 75% of my mark,with the other 25% back in August,I'm currently on an A,89%.
Maths-I have completed 60% of the course,I have my result for 26.7% of the course and the other 33% in August,I'm currently on an A*,99%.
Further Maths-just started this course.
Core Science(Compulsory)-Completed full GCSE-results back in August have currently about 75% of the mark,which works out at about 83%,A grade but I'm have resat 50% the course this June and sat another 25% and my coursework mark needs to be moderated.
Additional Science(Compulsory)-Taking this next year have just about started studying for it.
Double Business(Y9 Option)-Am currently on an A/A* grade,after 33% of the course and about a third of another coursework unit has been completed but not marked,I got the highest mark for the first unit in my class.
Double PE(Compulsory)-I'm not quite sure on this one because my teacher hasn't really said this subject is the one I'm quite confused about all I know is that I think I have finished one unit and am in the middle of the next one and am on an A/B grade.
Double ICT(Y9 option Extension on Compulsory)-About 70% of the course is completed,with me on an A/A* grade and one unit I completed I was the only one,who sent that unit into moderation because the rest of the class are way behind me.
French(Compulsory)-15% of the course completed,the 15% was coursework which is currently marked as an A grade,80%.
German(Y7 Option)-full GCSE completed in year 9,A grade 81%.
RE-half of the course completed,result for the 50% back in August.
Geography-half of the course completed,25% result confirmed,A* 100%, other 25% confirmed in August.

Yes there is a probably because everyone takes English language and some aren't able to do literature, maybe because they are incapable of it.

Latest