The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by g.k.galloway
okay guys...

Find the equation of the normals to the curve xy=3 which are parallel to the line
3x-y-2=0

I know the answer is 3x +- 8 (3x plus or minus 8)

I know parallel lines have the same gradient so the gradient of the normal = 3
then normal is perpendicular to the tangent so the gradient of the tangent = -1/3

I don't understand what to do know as you have no points given in the question...

So...

xy = 3
y = 3/x
dy/dx = -3/x^2

So line has a gradient of 3. Which as you said the original Must be -1/3.

-1/3 = -3/x^2

-x^2 = -9
x^2 = 9
x = ±3

Carry on?

:spank: that :badger:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
So...

xy = 3
y = 3/x
dy/dx = -3/x^2

So line has a gradient of 3. Which as you said the original Must be -1/3.

-1/3 = -3/x^2

-x^2 = -9
x^2 = 9
x = ±3

Carry on?

cheers :smile:
Original post by g.k.galloway
cheers :smile:

Np! :biggrin:

Reply 1983
Original post by PhoenixFire17
Haha it's not too much of a bad deal if I do say so myself :smile:

Doesn't it get quite dark? If I do anything after school, and have to walk home at 4, it's already dark in the winter.
:lol: don't bother doing loads after a while they just become worthless... Take me for example :rofl:

Photography/Art/Media useless... But they were extras... (art is gonna kill me this year) :tongue:

I wish I could've done less but alas...my school :unimpressed:
Omg you poor soul, how could you take art were you not warned about the work load?! But I guess it will all pay off in the end :wink:

Original post by Vionar
I don't want it to get harder! I don't like the sciences as it is!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad Ap

Same here! I used to love it...until we got to Year 10, I struggle so much now :frown:
Original post by Isabella~
I wish I could've done less but alas...my school :unimpressed:
Omg you poor soul, how could you take art were you not warned about the work load?! But I guess it will all pay off in the end :wink:

Same here! I used to love it...until we got to Year 10, I struggle so much now :frown:

My school too, although photography was my fault :wink:

It won't pay off :tongue: unless a B-D or whatever I get is worth it :lol:

Reply 1986

I've never liked them. I'm supposed to like/enjoy them as well, just because I'm good at them. :angry: It's the same with English, and Maths. I've I couldn't think of anything more boring to do, yet I get to do 6 GCSEs in the subjects mentioned, which I hate, another 2 in subjects I also hate, a pointless BTEC, and only 3 in subjects I actually enjoy. I can't wait to drop all of those subjects!
Yep! We get the whole of the last half term off... Which is... :erm: May? I think.

Yay! I think it's like the second half of April.
My failed humour :wink: don't worry, I'm a lot funnier in person...

Lool awh sorry,
I'm sure you are :biggrin:
Original post by ThatGirlx
Lool awh sorry,
I'm sure you are :biggrin:

Ahah, I haven't seen ya post on the year eleven thread?

Reply 1990
Got my report toady, and get Friday off! I have to go in to see my tutor on Friday though. At my school, they make us set targets for myself, and the teacher can never think of any for me!
Original post by Vionar
Got my report toady, and get Friday off! I have to go in to see my tutor on Friday though. At my school, they make us set targets for myself, and the teacher can never think of any for me!

So, what have you got?

St.David's Catholic College :biggrin:

:badger:

I'm in year 10 and am doing all the higher papers for the compulsory subjects. i took history, which for the first end of unit test i got an A* in! erm oh yeah... sociology, RS (full course) aka philosophy and ethics, biology chemistry and physics (triple.)... AS YOU CAN GUESS IT'S GOING TO BE A VERY LONG TWO YEARS. -___-
Original post by HiI'mARCHINA
I'm in year 10 and am doing all the higher papers for the compulsory subjects. i took history, which for the first end of unit test i got an A* in! erm oh yeah... sociology, RS (full course) aka philosophy and ethics, biology chemistry and physics (triple.)... AS YOU CAN GUESS IT'S GOING TO BE A VERY LONG TWO YEARS. -___-

Awesome! Good luck why dont you post on the current year ten thread?
It's called somethinf like

The super duper curly wurly mega yesr ten thread :smile:

Reply 1994
So, what have you got?

Subject Current Target Predicted
English A A A*
Maths C A A
Sciences B B A
Business C B B
(BTEC)
Drama D B B
French C B B
History A A A*
Lifeskills B B B
(Half)
RE B A A

I'm going to get higher in drama and French though!
Original post by Vionar
Subject Current Target Predicted
English A A A*
Maths C A A
Sciences B B A
Business C B B
(BTEC)
Drama D B B
French C B B
History A A A*
Lifeskills B B B
(Half)
RE B A A

I'm going to get higher in drama and French though!

Okay :biggrin: great! :wink:

Reply 1996
Okay :biggrin: great! :wink:

I have excuses for the bad ones!
Awesome! Good luck why dont you post on the current year ten thread?It's called somethinf like The super duper curly wurly mega yesr ten thread :smile::spank: that :badger:
oh is there ?, you lot all stop complain look what i've got to do triple science(biology, chemistry,physics) maths a year earlier cause am in top set , english lang and lit, ict,geography, life skill, french, arabic, pe, Rs and a level maths in year 11 cause i would finish maths gcse this year.
Reply 1998
I know this will be really simple when I get the answer, but does anyone know how to work this out:

mymaths.png

I can't remember what to do!
Haha yeah, tbh I think it's too much for me, 12 is the minimum in my school but I really wanted to take Psychology :smile:
Astronomy? That sounds pretty awesome!
And how's further maths? I've heard it's hard :s-smilie:

wth?! 12?! minimum?! erm ok. ahaha
yeah i do astronomy at lunchtimes haha, but tbh don't know whether i'll take the exam for it!
further maths sucks hahaha! I'm not great at maths anyway so er yeah ahhhaa.. oh and i'm doing my ca on texting at the moment:wink: going terribly i must say!

Latest