The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
Original post by shadab786ahmed
Nope :tongue:

I thought so lol. Well, at least every units gives students exposure to every historical and political phenomena anyway, jsut narrowed down into certain periods of time in partcular countries, or a study on a whole.:tongue:
Original post by Wawasan
I thought so lol. Well, at least every units gives students exposure to every historical and political phenomena anyway, jsut narrowed down into certain periods of time in partcular countries, or a study on a whole.:tongue:

I quite like our topics so I am okay :biggrin: and yeah, I've been exposed to a dictatorship now! He thought it was a totalitarianist state but it wasn't :tongue:
Reply 282
I quite like our topics so I am okay :biggrin: and yeah, I've been exposed to a dictatorship now! He thought it was a totalitarianist state but it wasn't :tongue:

Democracy wouldn't work either as it would hinder his plans:redface:
Original post by Wawasan
Democracy wouldn't work either as it would hinder his plans:redface:

He was just a dictator :tongue:
Urmmm... I don't know :s-smilie: this is what we have to do at a level:
HY1: British Foreign Policy 1880-1980
HY2: Nazi Germany 1933-1945
HY3: Coursework based on HY1/2
HY4: open ended synoptic exam..

Was that your question?

Hey you're doing A-level History, right?
Original post by Problematique

I'll have finished the AS before year 12... But yeah :biggrin:
I'll have finished the AS before year 12... But yeah :biggrin:

oh ok, so how are you finding it? Like difficulty-wise and whether or not it's engaging. I took it for GCSE and was wondering if I should take it on to A-level.

Btw, it's really weird asking a year 10 this.
oh ok, so how are you finding it? Like difficulty-wise and whether or not it's engaging. I took it for GCSE and was wondering if I should take it on to A-level.

Lol, it's not weird :tongue:
It's much better compared to GCSE, and it's so interesting! It helps you to write essays, and structure worj! And look at things from different perspectives! I love it, and would 100% recommend it for a level!
It depends what modules your studying as well, you've seen my modules and I think they're extremely interesting! :biggrin:

But it's harder!!! I got an A* at GCSE in year nine, and I'm probably going to get a B for this exam! But who knows!
(edited 11 years ago)
But it's harder!!! I got an A* at GCSE in year nine, and I'm probably going to get a B for this exam! But who knows!

ah ok thanks. I think my school does Edexcel history and they have 70 mark questions :eek:
ah ok thanks. I think my school does Edexcel history and they have 70 mark questions :eek:

Wow! For my first exam we had five questions... It went like this:
a) 4 marks
b) 8 marks
c) 16 marks
d) 20 marks
e) 32 marks

We can't use foreign language on here without translation... So urmmm... We can't :tongue:

I don't think you should study Nazi Germany or Russia :tongue: it may make you emotional...

Ahah, yeah, but you have sub topics to learn? Even if the exam isn't split :tongue:

Too late. It's in the syllabus, gotta study it. Nightmares be damned :frown: And you're taking it to A Levels? I really want to do that, but (surprise surprise) my school doesn't even offer it at IGCSE, which means I'm self-studying everything. I don't know if it'll still be feasible at A Levels :frown: But I'm kind of in love with it :wink: But we do have subtopics... Don't all syllabi? I think I'm just confusing myself here... :confused:

You're doing GCSE? Yay!
Original post by KythingToWrite
You're doing GCSE? Yay!

yup :smile:
i just wanted to claim your 300th post :wink: .. from a year 11 :wink:
Too late. It's in the syllabus, gotta study it. Nightmares be damned :frown: And you're taking it to A Levels? I really want to do that, but (surprise surprise) my school doesn't even offer it at IGCSE, which means I'm self-studying everything. I don't know if it'll still be feasible at A Levels :frown: But I'm kind of in love with it :wink: But we do have subtopics... Don't all syllabi? I think I'm just confusing myself here... :confused:!

Yeah we're confusing ourselves! :tongue:
Well, I'm just sitting the AS early.. Because I sat the GCSE in year nine, so I thought I may as well :tongue: that's silly... Which is why you should come to Cardiff :tongue: or London.. Or whatever! I dont think it'll be easy teaching yourself a level history :frown::frown::frown:
You should try :tongue: Then you can swear at people and they won't get you! :wink:

You should read it. Like, now. It is one of the most brilliant books I have read, but it is not a good idea to study the Holocaust and then start reading a book set in Germany during WWII, with lots of Nazis and Germans. Especially not if the book makes you cry, because then you end up crying over your textbook :frown:

I dunno about GCSEs, but our 'paper' system is different. Every extended (further) paper can cover any topic from the whole syllabus, and core papers can have questions from anywhere in the core (standard?) syllabus. the 'papers' indicate the course route you take and the way you answer. So, for example in Sciences, P1 is multiple choice (core), P3 is brief answers (extended), P5 is practical (extended), P6 is alternative to practical (extended), etc. I was under the impression that modules are organised by subject matter—like I'd sit a module exam for co-ordination and response, or for reproduction. Is that correct?

If linear is what I think it is, then it only improves your recall :smile: There's nothing wrong in making you revise it 'till it sticks, is there?

There is too much to revise though with Linear because its hard enough trying to revise for one exam.
yup :smile:

Yay for history partners! When you study WWII and have nightmares, let me know!

Original post by techno836
i just wanted to claim your 300th post :wink: .. from a year 11 :wink:

Just for that, we're going to stalk YOU and steal your milestones.... Right, Year 10s?

Yeah we're confusing ourselves! :tongue:
Well, I'm just sitting the AS early.. Because I sat the GCSE in year nine, so I thought I may as well :tongue: that's silly... Which is why you should come to Cardiff :tongue: or London.. Or whatever! I dont think it'll be easy teaching yourself a level history :frown::frown::frown:

Ahh... yeah, I really want to. Right now, my Aunt is planning to (with or without my parents' permission) take me to Dubai for A Levels. Originally it was London, but since she's living in Dubai for the next three years or so, that's where I'll go... Maybe!

My Mum does not like the idea much—she doesn't want me leaving home too soon! But we'll see... Hopefully things will work out! And if I ever come to Cardiff, you are calling me over for lunch or a tour or showing off your city or school or SOMETHING, okay? (I'll return the favour if you come here :tongue:)
Ahh... yeah, I really want to. Right now, my Aunt is planning to (with or without my parents' permission) take me to Dubai for A Levels. Originally it was London, but since she's living in Dubai for the next three years or so, that's where I'll go... Maybe!
My Mum does not like the idea much—she doesn't want me leaving home too soon! But we'll see... Hopefully things will work out! And if I ever come to Cardiff, you are calling me over for lunch or a tour or showing off your city or school or SOMETHING, okay? (I'll return the favour if you come here :tongue:)

Dubai is cool :wink: but its not somewhere I would want to live! But that would be really awesome! You'd be 16 not too bad..
Yeah, but when would you be coming over :tongue: I mean by time it happens I'll be in London :tongue: but I'll try :wink:
Dubai is cool :wink: but its not somewhere I would want to live! But that would be really awesome! You'd be 16 not too bad..
Yeah, but when would you be coming over :tongue: I mean by time it happens I'll be in London :tongue: but I'll try :wink:

Yeah, way too much industrialisation... And segregation... And discrimination... And lots of other 'ation's (That sounds like asians, so have I made a pun?) But if I do go there, she wants me to get into Repton Dubai (where my cousins are) so hey, I'll get a good education :wink:

Hmph. Then I'll stalk you in London. You'll still be a citizen, and the only thing I can remember clearly about London is my new shoes falling off my foot as I crossed Whitehall, and running back into the middle of the road to get it and being subjected to endless lectures. I was seven :biggrin:

Oh, and have you visited any Cambridge websites? Specifically, cam.ac.uk and cie.org.uk? 'Cause none of those sites open without the 'www' at the beginning. I though it was a Mac thing, but it happened on Windows, and it happened when I tried to access the site from my school's Linux.
I'm just curious... Why? (I'm no tech geek, so I haven't an idea in hell.)
Oh yeah... People with even a slight interest in Cambridge and/or Harry Potter: get ready to be blown away.
[video="youtube;vG79YXZKEt4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG79YXZKEt4&feature=BFa&list=PL10C164717929AA90[/video]

Latest