The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Little Tail Chaser
That's interesting :biggrin: Do you live sort of on the Kenya/Tanzania border then? :smile:
EDIT: Okay, evidently not :tongue: Probably should have checked your profile before making myself look like an idiot! :tongue: How come there are Kenyan buses in Tanzania then? Or am I just getting the wrong end of the stick and you've been to/lived in Kenya before? :tongue: I looked up Dar-es-Salaam on Google Maps, it looks amazing, the beaches are gorgeous :biggrin:

Yeah London is awesome :biggrin:

Strangely I'm not overly keen on the Underground though, probably because I've been on it way too many times and the novely has long since worn off :tongue:

LOL, no problem. Yeah, I've been to Kenya tons of times. Usually Mombasa, couple of times Nairobi. Their Swahili is weird—people who speak Swahili at home there speak worse Swahili than I do, and my first language is English!

That's the only good part. The rest of the 'main' city is Town (yes, that's what it's called, colloquially at least) which is a hell of traffic and construction, and Upanga, which is where the schools and hospitals and houses with old people (like mine) are and which actually has TREES and, what do you know, here comes construction.

I'm so bloody sick of construction vehicles. It's my life's curse to find them wherever I go.

Aww. Maybe (if I ever come there) the same will happen? Where do you live (if you don't mind me asking)?
Original post by KythingToWrite
Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you...
MERLIN NEARLY KILLED ME.
Episode 4? The Poisoned Chalice? It was amazingly deadly.

... And now I just started Ep 5 :smile: I love this show.

It's all awesome zgavxocnabac just awesome... Series 5 starts Saturday I thinj :biggrin:

Posted from the Bottom of the Big Blue Sea...
Original post by shadab786ahmed
It's all awesome zgavxocnabac just awesome... Series 5 starts Saturday I thinj :biggrin:

But I can't watch it until I magically download the first 4 seasons and watch them, and even then, I don't get BBC E and the iPlayer doesn't work here :frown:

And in other related news, I have a Merlin hangover since I was up until 4 am watching Lancelot, and nobody in my family knew, obviously, so I had to get up early. Coffee is a lifesaver.

And I have to go to school tomorrow for my exam papers :hide:
LOL, no problem. Yeah, I've been to Kenya tons of times. Usually Mombasa, couple of times Nairobi. Their Swahili is weird—people who speak Swahili at home there speak worse Swahili than I do, and my first language is English!

That's the only good part. The rest of the 'main' city is Town (yes, that's what it's called, colloquially at least) which is a hell of traffic and construction, and Upanga, which is where the schools and hospitals and houses with old people (like mine) are and which actually has TREES and, what do you know, here comes construction.

I'm so bloody sick of construction vehicles. It's my life's curse to find them wherever I go.

Aww. Maybe (if I ever come there) the same will happen? Where do you live (if you don't mind me asking)?

How many languages can you speak? :smile: I'm super duper jealous of anyone who can speak more than one, I am absolutely awful at languages, including my own! :lol: A friend of mine knows 8! Most of them are African languages, so I would assume there are lots of similarities between them meaning that it wouldn't be too difficult to learn, but still, 8 languages is bloody impressive! :eek:

Aww, that's a pity. :frown: Do you have relatives out in the country or anything like that so that you can get out of the city once in a while?
(edited 11 years ago)
How many languages can you speak? :smile: I'm super duper jealous of anyone who can speak more than one, I am absolutely awful at languages, including my own! :lol: A friend of mine knows 8! Most of them are African languages, so I would assume there are lots of similarities between them meaning that it wouldn't be too difficult to learn, but still, 8 languages is bloody impressive! :eek:

Aww, that's a pity. :frown: Do you have relatives out in the country or anything like that so that you can get out of the city once in a while?

I live .... It's great because you get all of the benefits of living in a city, but there's plenty of parks and stuff here too :biggrin:

Yay! Year eleven stole your 1000th Post xD

I can speak/understand/read/write (a mixture of each) English, Arabic, Bengali, French.. And should have German and Welsh xD

But yeah... :wink: fluently... And do all four skills.. Only English :colondollar:

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 985
Original post by GEEKSruletheworld!
ohh cool.
you want to go into the medical field?
I really want paid work experience LOL. but it's quiet hard to find locally?
I'm not sure yet though, still deciding if I want to do it in an optician or somewhere more exciting.. :s-smilie:

Yeah hopefully. I'm torn between Medicine and Dentistry. I hope that the work experience will help me choose one :smile:
Oh optician. That can be super fun or super boring. It all depends on where you go.
What would you like to do in the future? :redface:
Reply 986
Original post by cocoa & vanilla
well let me explain you the science we are doing is divided inro two categori the gcse ones and the btec ones sorry if i said december i meant september year 11 the gcse group is divided between tripple and doubble so the tripple go and do one last unit and the doubble will start revising for the exam
hope u got is:wink:
:smile::tongue:

Oh I get it now!! :biggrin: haha. I quite like the way your school does it. Quite a few people dive into triple science without knowing what they're getting themselves into (double science almost every single day of the week!!).
So do you want to do triple, or leave it at double? :smile:

I live .... :smile: It's great because you get all of the benefits of living in a city, but there's plenty of parks and stuff here too :biggrin:

I ADORE different languages... I want to learn about 30, but I doubt I'll ever manage. I speak Gujurati and Urdu, but I can't write either; I speak & write Swahili fluently, English of course, and am currently learning Arabic. And it has the hugest vocabulary EVER. There are like 50 words meaning 'to arrange alphabetically'!

African languages are difficult to learn :colondollar: They usually have very weird, speech-based grammar rules and so many loanwords that it's bloody confusing. So 8 languages, YIKES. Did you know Tolkien knew about 30? (By the way, any Lord of the Rings fans here?)

I have distant family in Arusha, which is the only other city here :| But it's a lot nicer than Dar, though recently it's been becoming a Dar-clone. But yeah, everyone really lives in the cities here. There are small towns, which are mostly adults and old people and shops, and huge farms and agricultural land. It's depressing. The whole of our population is concentrated around the two cities.

Really, the only place we visit much is Mombasa, which is EVEN WORSE because everyone hates asians there and the asians themselves are bossy, annoying and nosy, and Dubai, where the only good thing is Jumeirah houses (TREES!!) and ice cream and bookshops. Now that just sounds depressing :frown:

LuCKY. I'm going to come to London, and then you're going to invite me over to your house for tea or something, ok? And you can come here and I'll take you to the beach and you can eat unhygienic meat and cassava :wink: And then I'll take you to eat DSM's speciality dinner... Chips & Chicken. Roadside restaurants at every corner in the city that open up after dark :smile: THAT is one of the good things about Dar. It's a lot nicer at night!

Yay! Year eleven stole your 1000th Post xD

I can speak/understand/read/write (a mixture of each) English, Arabic, Bengali, French.. And should have German and Welsh xD

But yeah... :wink: fluently... And do all four skills.. Only English :colondollar:

DAMMIT. I didn't notice... Or I'd have stolen it.

French and German are at the top of my list. How are they? I hear horror tales about French verbs...
And Arabic? it's a pity we can't talk in foreign languages, but... How fluent are you? I need someone to practise with!
(edited 11 years ago)
I ADORE different languages... I want to learn about 30, but I doubt I'll ever manage. I speak Gujurati and Urdu, but I can't write either; I speak & write Swahili fluently, English of course, and am currently learning Arabic. And it has the hugest vocabulary EVER. There are like 50 words meaning 'to arrange alphabetically'!

African languages are difficult to learn :colondollar: They usually have very weird, speech-based grammar rules and so many loanwords that it's bloody confusing. So 8 languages, YIKES. Did you know Tolkien knew about 30? (By the way, any Lord of the Rings fans here?)

I have distant family in Arusha, which is the only other city here :| But it's a lot nicer than Dar, though recently it's been becoming a Dar-clone. But yeah, everyone really lives in the cities here. There are small towns, which are mostly adults and old people and shops, and huge farms and agricultural land. It's depressing. The whole of our population is concentrated around the two cities.

Really, the only place we visit much is Mombasa, which is EVEN WORSE because everyone hates asians there and the asians themselves are bossy, annoying and nosy, and Dubai, where the only good thing is Jumeirah houses (TREES!!) and ice cream and bookshops. Now that just sounds depressing :frown:

LuCKY. I'm going to come to London, and then you're going to invite me over to your house for tea or something, ok? And you can come here and I'll take you to the beach and you can eat unhygienic meat and cassava :wink: And then I'll take you to eat DSM's speciality dinner... Chips & Chicken. Roadside restaurants at every corner in the city that open up after dark :smile: THAT is one of the good things about Dar. It's a lot nicer at night!

French and German are at the top of my list. How are they? I hear horror tales about French verbs...
And Arabic? it's a pity we can't talk in foreign languages, but... How fluent are you? I need someone to practise with!

:rofl:

French is fine I think :colondollar: and I've learnt most tenses just vocab needs to be learnt! :redface: German is easier I've heard...

As for Arabic, nothing!!! I can read it and maybe write it... But can't speak it or understand it... I can read the writing but not understand most of what I read :frown:

Wow, that is incredible :eek: I'm soooo jealous you have no idea :biggrin: I really wish I could speak another language, but I just cannot get my head around them :frown: Languages are simply not my thing. Biology, on the other hand... :love:

I don't even know what loanwords are :colondollar: Forever a monoglot :redface:

I didn't know that :tongue: Really? Could he fluently read/write in all 30 of them? I read the LOTR books years ago, and I've read The Hobbit several times, I can't wait until the movie comes out in December! :biggrin:

Aww, this is probably because I don't live there, but I think your country sounds really interesting :biggrin: How come everybody hates the Asians though?

Sounds like a plan :tongue: Imma show you all the awesome things in London. We have chicken and chip shops all over the place in London, too, but it is absolutely disgusting. :yucky: There's a reason it's nicknamed 'Sam's Pigeon'! :lol:
Reply 990

French is fine I think :colondollar: and I've learnt most tenses just vocab needs to be learnt! :redface: German is easier I've heard...

As for Arabic, nothing!!! I can read it and maybe write it... But can't speak it or understand it... I can read the writing but not understand most of what I read :frown:

I'm just like you. I can read and write Arabic, but nothing more. I know the odd word here and there but that's about it. :tongue:

Vocab... It gets to that point where you know all the easy stuff and you could easily get a C, then those last two grades are SO difficult to jump in IGCSE 'cause they're continuous writing :cry:

OH YEAH I FORGOT TO TELL YOU. I got my results!!!! I GOT A 90% IN MATHS. I haven't gotten that since Year 6 or something!!! :woo: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Wow, that is incredible :eek: I'm soooo jealous you have no idea :biggrin: I really wish I could speak another language, but I just cannot get my head around them :frown: Languages are simply not my thing. Biology, on the other hand... :love:

I don't even know what loanwords are :colondollar: Forever a monoglot :redface:

I didn't know that :tongue: Really? Could he fluently read/write in all 30 of them? I read the LOTR books years ago, and I've read The Hobbit several times, I can't wait until the movie comes out in December! :biggrin:

Aww, this is probably because I don't live there, but I think your country sounds really interesting :biggrin: How come everybody hates the Asians though?

Sounds like a plan :tongue: Imma show you all the awesome things in London. We have chicken and chip shops all over the place in London, too, but it is absolutely disgusting. :yucky: There's a reason it's nicknamed 'Sam's Pigeon'! :lol:

Aww, thanks. But seriously, learning Swahili in a non-Swahili environment would probably be hell. I live here, I speak it all the time AND I can't get my head around all the rules! Bio? It's okay, but I get really sick of it because my parents are doctors, so everyone expects me to be one, my parents talk med at home, at the beach, in the car... I used to love it, but now that people criticise my choices because of my parents' med background, I've really gone off Bio :frown: It's sad.

They're exactly what they sound like—words loaned from another language. Like laissez-faire is in English, except African languages have way too many of them and can't figure out any rules :| But then, they're relatively new languages... Don't get me started on languages :wink:

Yup! And they're so strange, too. Old Icelandic & Old Norse are there, I think. YES! Ringer! I read LotR and The Hobbit in March, and I'm currently reading Silmarillion. I want to do a LotR reread for Tolkien Week. Are you involved in the fandom?

Well, Black Africans don't think we're Africans 'cause we're fifth or fourth generation migrants, Asian Asians don't think we're Asians 'cause we live in Africa... We're in the middle. Also, some Asians like creating a sharp social barrier between Asians & Africans, which really doesn't help matters. It's worse in Kenya than it is here.
It's really interesting, and for some people it would be lovely, but I'm out-of-place here. My parents love it, but I find everything suffocating—our community, people, the city itself. I'm kind of weird like that.

Um, everything's very unhealthy and unhygienic and tastes AWESOME here. It's all grilled/barbecued. They call it Kuku Choma. You might even find it on Google :tongue: I just had it for dinner!

Original post by lubsjk
I'm just like you. I can read and write Arabic, but nothing more. I know the odd word here and there but that's about it. :tongue:

It's not that difficult... At least for the first year. Then it gets hard. But it's a beautiful language. It's like it was made to sound pretty, a language made for poetry or something.
Original post by lubsjk

Ye! ThIs is Me :P
Vocab... It gets to that point where you know all the easy stuff and you could easily get a C, then those last two grades are SO difficult to jump in IGCSE 'cause they're continuous writing :cry:

OH YEAH I FORGOT TO TELL YOU. I got my results!!!! I GOT A 90% IN MATHS. I haven't gotten that since Year 6 or something!!! :woo: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Aww, thanks. But seriously, learning Swahili in a non-Swahili environment would probably be hell. I live here, I speak it all the time AND I can't get my head around all the rules! Bio? It's okay, but I get really sick of it because my parents are doctors, so everyone expects me to be one, my parents talk med at home, at the beach, in the car... I used to love it, but now that people criticise my choices because of my parents' med background, I've really gone off Bio :frown: It's sad.

They're exactly what they sound like—words loaned from another language. Like laissez-faire is in English, except African languages have way too many of them and can't figure out any rules :| But then, they're relatively new languages... Don't get me started on languages :wink:

Yup! And they're so strange, too. Old Icelandic & Old Norse are there, I think. YES! Ringer! I read LotR and The Hobbit in March, and I'm currently reading Silmarillion. I want to do a LotR reread for Tolkien Week. Are you involved in the fandom?

Well, Black Africans don't think we're Africans 'cause we're fifth or fourth generation migrants, Asian Asians don't think we're Asians 'cause we live in Africa... We're in the middle. Also, some Asians like creating a sharp social barrier between Asians & Africans, which really doesn't help matters. It's worse in Kenya than it is here.
It's really interesting, and for some people it would be lovely, but I'm out-of-place here. My parents love it, but I find everything suffocating—our community, people, the city itself. I'm kind of weird like that.

Um, everything's very unhealthy and unhygienic and tastes AWESOME here. It's all grilled/barbecued. They call it Kuku Choma. You might even find it on Google :tongue: I just had it for dinner!

It's not that difficult... At least for the first year. Then it gets hard. But it's a beautiful language. It's like it was made to sound pretty, a language made for poetry or something.

Aah, its quite easy for an A/A* here.. :redface: :five: well done! :woo:

Reply 993
Has anyone else's school mentioned the jab we have to have? I MIGHT NOT BE ABLE TO HAVE IT IN SCHOOL. I AM SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW.
Original post by Gemmaax
Has anyone else's school mentioned the jab we have to have? I MIGHT NOT BE ABLE TO HAVE IT IN SCHOOL. I AM SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW.

HPV? :tongue:

Reply 995
HPV? :tongue:

No, that was in year 8 :L Erm, it's for Tetanus, Polio and Diptheria...
Original post by Gemmaax
No, that was in year 8 :L Erm, it's for Tetanus, Polio and Diptheria...

Oh yeah:L I had that one, you go to the doctors though :L not school :biggrin: it doesn't hurt... So id people say it kills and scare you like they did me... They lie :l

Reply 997
Too hot for me :P
Reply 998
I went to Cyprus this year (like I have for about the past... 6 years now, I think :L) and it was high 30s which wasn't really bad, I mean it was nice but got a bit much sometimes :smile:
Reply 999
I love it there :biggrin:
Well, my mum organises the holidays and she loves the sun so yeah... My brother, though, is an entirely different story

Latest