The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Maths0
Did anyone do AQA's Unit 1 maths higher exam on Tuesday? Really unsure of an answer which my teacher got. My friends got different to my teacher as well and it's worrying my since it's a 4 marker...

nope but if you know the question i will answer ? :smile:
Original post by Maths0
Well, one went something along the lines of:
(name) invests some money in a bank with interest of 5% per year, for 3 years. At the end of these 3 years, he expects £9000. Work out the minimum value he needs to invest to achieve this. (4)

I put exactly this:

x*1.05^3 = orig
F = P(1+r)^n
£9000 / 1.05^3 = £7774.538386...
= £7774.54

Obviously most of it makes no sense, so I just tried blagging some formulas and things which didn't work. I just don't see where the marks would be awarded since it was a 4 marker.

Also, there was 60 boys and 60 girls height question. It showed that 109cm was at 75% on a box plot (UQ). So was I right to find 75% of 60 which is 45?

if the first question had a * then you would need working out but if not as long as youranswer is correct it wouldnt need any :smile: ....

and the second question yes :smile:
Original post by PhoenixFire17
Ah yeah we had our c.a. in english. but we had to present a speech instead - reduced the majority of the class to a nervous wreck. Have you got your mark back yet?? Ah no way!! We aren't allowed to even discuss the thing outside the classroom :O

Ooh good luck!! We have 4 controlled assessments in the space of one month - oh the joy of German, English lit. Music and Drama :frown:

Oh how did you do? :smile: Hah i can imagine! Yeah we havent got ours back-_- well, everyone else in other sets have except my class-___-!!!!! haha that is unlucky! our next controlled assessment, is on text language and whether its creative??! It'd be great if people give their opinions on text language, and textm essaging nowadays... :smile: Wow, that's really stressful having so many controlled assessments! Good luck! :smile: Yeah i dropped 3 thermometers on the floor, smashing one, burnt my paper, and poured boiling water over the desk during my practise ISA ahahahah !
Original post by salmon-aiman
Oh how did you do? :smile: Hah i can imagine! Yeah we havent got ours back-_- well, everyone else in other sets have except my class-___-!!!!! haha that is unlucky! our next controlled assessment, is on text language and whether its creative??! It'd be great if people give their opinions on text language, and textm essaging nowadays... :smile: Wow, that's really stressful having so many controlled assessments! Good luck! :smile: Yeah i dropped 3 thermometers on the floor, smashing one, burnt my paper, and poured boiling water over the desk during my practise ISA ahahahah !

I got full marks - so surprised!! I thought it went really badly but apparently my teacher thought it was amazing :eek:
Ahh ours is on Romeo and Juliet - spent a whole lesson today on Shakespearian insults and innuendos, what a fun lesson :L
Ooh that sounds interesting, have fun on the text language c.a XD
Thanks, you too :smile:
Ahahaha that sounds exactly the type of thing I would do!! We were growing radishes to study how light levels affect radish growth and I knocked this massive bag of fertiliser on the floor - needless to say my teacher was not very impressed with my clumsiness and made me stay behind to clear up the mess :colondollar:
I got full marks - so surprised!! I thought it went really badly but apparently my teacher thought it was amazing :eek:
Ahh ours is on Romeo and Juliet - spent a whole lesson today on Shakespearian insults and innuendos, what a fun lesson :L
Ahahaha that sounds exactly the type of thing I would do!! We were growing radishes to study how light levels affect radish growth and I knocked this massive bag of fertiliser on the floor - needless to say my teacher was not very impressed with my clumsiness and made me stay behind to clear up the mess :colondollar:

OMG! Well done! :smile: ugh, shakespeare is so dull! studied it last year and watched r+j the movie, no girl was actually interested in the film, except for the fact that it had leonardo di caprio... :L hahahah but yeah you must have had one great lesson then, got some new vocab up your sleeve now:wink:
hah the fertiliser thing- that is actually really funny! though if i'd done that, i'd most likely just run away! haha, oh what gcses do you do?
Reply 1585
HELP! i need to know what causes continents to move over the surface of the earth? PLEASE :smile:
Original post by monisj1
HELP! i need to know what causes continents to move over the surface of the earth? PLEASE :smile:

continental drift is caused by the movement of the tectonic plates, the plates move very slowly due to convection currents of the magma in the mantle constently rising,pushing then falling :smile:

I did a c.a on text talk but mine was 'is text talk ruining the english language and society' :smile:
Reply 1588
Original post by techno836
continental drift is caused by the movement of the tectonic plates, the plates move very slowly due to convection currents of the magma in the mantle constently rising,pushing then falling :smile:

thanks you are a life saver iv only lyk started year 10 and iv had all thes tests iv had b1 c1/c2 p1/p2 then tommoro and monday iv got maths and english i had narrative writing, in abwt 2 weeks il have the of mice and men one
Original post by Isabella~
I did a c.a on text talk but mine was 'is text talk ruining the english language and society' :smile:

yeah we're studying that too , i'm actually doing my eng hw right now on this article about how text language is wrecking language... how do you think you did?
Reply 1590
Probably should be revising for my Biology and RE tests, but too busy procrastinating.
yeah we're studying that too , i'm actually doing my eng hw right now on this article about how text language is wrecking language... how do you think you did?

John Humphrys eh :wink:
I got it back and I got 18 :smile:
Original post by Vionar
Probably should be revising for my Biology and RE tests, but too busy procrastinating.

Same here, what board and exams are you doing :smile:
Original post by monisj1
thanks you are a life saver iv only lyk started year 10 and iv had all thes tests iv had b1 c1/c2 p1/p2 then tommoro and monday iv got maths and english i had narrative writing, in abwt 2 weeks il have the of mice and men one

wow that is a lot for year 10 .... my january was just
maths maths spanish spanish biology thats it :L
Hey,

these are the GCSE's I'm doing,

Compulsory
English Language (Edexcel)
English Literature (Edexcel)
Maths (Edexcel)
Triple Science (AQA)
aida ICT (1 GCSE)
RE (OCR)
MFL- French (AQA)

Options
German (AQA)
History (Modern World) (OCR)
Geography (AQA Spec A)

Any hints or tips on how to manage work from these courses, or revision hints?
Reply 1595
Same here, what board and exams are you doing :smile:

I don´t have any proper exams yet, it's just for my report. But, I'm on AQA for Biology and not sure about RE. As for the rest of them, I think French may be AQA too. I had an English controlled assessment recently, I really should remember which board it was!
Original post by Vionar
Like the way I know just about all 50 states and their capitals or roughly 70 elements of the periodic table or about 20 digits of pi. There must be more people like me. Please tell me I'm not the only one!
Going off my own topic, well done me! I do tend to waffle.
Anyway, I've got the answers now, but if anyone knows how to do the first example I showed, then wahoo!

Random fact learners unite! Though I go around with more of a focus on History and Literature and Language and stuff... Like did you know that the majority of new terms adopted into the English language (in speaking) between 1920 and 1950 were French political terms and war-tactics? It gives you a picture of what the environment was like at that time... Increased contact with the French, discussing strategy and negotiations and Versailles with them :biggrin:

Ah, come on, Shakespeare's cool. Especially when you figure out what a dirty mind he had. Basically your 16th Century version of a teenager; he couldn't say 'stand' without giving it a double meaning.

Original post by chichi98
Hey,

these are the GCSE's I'm doing,

Compulsory
English Language (Edexcel)
English Literature (Edexcel)

Any hints or tips on how to manage work from these courses, or revision hints?

Fellow Year Ten here, just adding what I've learnt—as far as Language and Literature go, remember to read actively and widely. Taking a keen interest in Lit and reading a lot of pieces, whether fiction or non-fiction with a 'Literature approach', or what your teacher would call a critical eye, will greatly improve your grades in Language–reading and writing–and in Literature. When you're reading articles about a tragedy, take note of the language they use to make you sympathise with people. When you're reading a novel, pay attention to the style of fiction—a narrator's voice; the mix of description, action and dialogue; scene transitions and conflict.

Learn to notice these things and, more importantly, notice the effect they have on you. if a certain piece makes you feel depressed, look beyond the content for reasons why it made you feel that way. Look at the language used in the writing, and understand how it made you feel that way. Change around a few words, see if it has the same effect. Then, learn to use that in your own writing, and Language and Literature are in the bag.

Lecture over :tongue:

And to everyone offering braces condolence and advice, thank you! I was going to PM you all, but then my internet decided to be a ****, and then yesterday there was a death in the family, and I have exams starting today (today was English and Islamiyat, both were fine, if the papers were set a little annoyingly) so I really couldn't PM :frown: I'll get round to it in a while, promise.

Is anyone having religious issues here? I'm having them big-time, and I'm positively frightened by the fact that I have to go to my Grandma's house (the death was my Mum's first cousin, so pretty close family) and sit there and pray and watch everyone praying and I don't know what to do :cry:
... And when I was younger, the thought that I could ever be uncertain in my faith was unbelievable. And my Grandma is so religious that it's going to be bloody worse. Oh, and everyone will be crying, and I'll be expected to go and give them religious platitudes and stuff about God that I can't believe in and I AM SCARED.
... Help?
Original post by KythingToWrite
?

I'm sorry for your loss :console:

What are the doubts, how to cope with the crying? Or?

:reel:
Reply 1598
Random fact learners unite! Though I go around with more of a focus on History and Literature and Language and stuff... Like did you know that the majority of new terms adopted into the English language (in speaking) between 1920 and 1950 were French political terms and war-tactics? It gives you a picture of what the environment was like at that time... Increased contact with the French, discussing strategy and negotiations and Versailles with them :biggrin:

That's so cool! I'm studying that time in History right now, well not right now.

And to everyone offering braces condolence and advice, thank you! I was going to PM you all, but then my internet decided to be a ****, and then yesterday there was a death in the family, and I have exams starting today (today was English and Islamiyat, both were fine, if the papers were set a little annoyingly) so I really couldn't PM :frown: I'll get round to it in a while, promise.

Is anyone having religious issues here? I'm having them big-time, and I'm positively frightened by the fact that I have to go to my Grandma's house (the death was my Mum's first cousin, so pretty close family) and sit there and pray and watch everyone praying and I don't know what to do :cry:
... And when I was younger, the thought that I could ever be uncertain in my faith was unbelievable. And my Grandma is so religious that it's going to be bloody worse. Oh, and everyone will be crying, and I'll be expected to go and give them religious platitudes and stuff about God that I can't believe in and I AM SCARED.
... Help?

I'm so sorry. :hugs: If there's anything you need, I'm here.

If you don't believe in God, you don't need to pray to God, prayer isn't always religious.

I don't know what it's like having those sort of issues, sorry I can't be of more help. :frown:
John Humphrys eh :wink:
I got it back and I got 18 :smile:

well done! top band that, isn't it? :biggrin: haha OMG YES.

Latest