The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Thought I'd get back to everybody here. Even if nobody cares, I promised I would!

I had my interview at Oxford and have been offered a place - a conditional offer. The conditions are passing the skills tests, proving I can finance my course, and receiving a SATISFACTORY CRB check.

I declared on my GTTR that I had criminal convictions; nobody has mentioned it, either by correspondance, or at the interview. I'm hoping that I send off for my CRB and they ignore it. This happened at the school I work at - I applied for a position dreading them bringing up my record and not expecting to get it: nobody mentioned it and I got the job. But I'm half expecting to have to go for a secondary interview to 'explain myself'.

If anybody sees this thread who is in the same boat as I am, this is an update. I have a police reprimand and have gained a place on a course after declaring convictions. I'll update again after they get my CRB. Fingers crossed!
Reply 21
Hi, just noticed you've been accepted to Oxford, me too! haven't come across anyone else that has been, what subject?
Reply 22
Original post by Lornajor
Hi, just noticed you've been accepted to Oxford, me too! haven't come across anyone else that has been, what subject?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/115755718606766/

If you havent already joined - there's a group of us here!
Reply 23
Original post by tommytenmen
Thought I'd get back to everybody here. Even if nobody cares, I promised I would!

I had my interview at Oxford and have been offered a place - a conditional offer. The conditions are passing the skills tests, proving I can finance my course, and receiving a SATISFACTORY CRB check.

I declared on my GTTR that I had criminal convictions; nobody has mentioned it, either by correspondance, or at the interview. I'm hoping that I send off for my CRB and they ignore it. This happened at the school I work at - I applied for a position dreading them bringing up my record and not expecting to get it: nobody mentioned it and I got the job. But I'm half expecting to have to go for a secondary interview to 'explain myself'.

If anybody sees this thread who is in the same boat as I am, this is an update. I have a police reprimand and have gained a place on a course after declaring convictions. I'll update again after they get my CRB. Fingers crossed!

So how did the DBS check go? I know it's been a few years but I'm curious. In a similar situation
Original post by moogles8
So how did the DBS check go? I know it's been a few years but I'm curious. In a similar situation

With something on your DBS check, you are likely to get on a course so long as the issue isn't one where no school would take you (causing harm to children, violence etc), they'll let the school be the judge. After that, it's for each employer to decide. Nowadays, most employers are completely understanding of a single teenage/student indiscretion so long as you can explain the circumstances and appear a reformed person (ie a grown up). More than one blot may become an issue, if that's the case, start off by applying for a school that is desperate!
Reply 25
I've got on a course subject to a satisfactory DBS. I've told them about my reprimand but have been told that they will deicide if I can continue onto the course once my DBS comes no back, which they won't send paperwork out for until May/June time. It's a reprimand for shoplifting when I was 15. As I've said, I can use that in the classroom as I understand peer pressure etc. Many people have said it shouldn't effect me Training.

Original post by threeportdrift
With something on your DBS check, you are likely to get on a course so long as the issue isn't one where no school would take you (causing harm to children, violence etc), they'll let the school be the judge. After that, it's for each employer to decide. Nowadays, most employers are completely understanding of a single teenage/student indiscretion so long as you can explain the circumstances and appear a reformed person (ie a grown up). More than one blot may become an issue, if that's the case, start off by applying for a school that is desperate!
Original post by moogles8
I've got on a course subject to a satisfactory DBS. I've told them about my reprimand but have been told that they will deicide if I can continue onto the course once my DBS comes no back, which they won't send paperwork out for until May/June time. It's a reprimand for shoplifting when I was 15. As I've said, I can use that in the classroom as I understand peer pressure etc. Many people have said it shouldn't effect me Training.

There's no need to 'use it in the classroom'. It won't be a problem.
Reply 27
I didn't quite mean use it in that way, I just mean I understand peer pressure especially when it comes to things like that as that's how it happened to me.
I'm glad it won't effect me though.

Thanks for your advice

Original post by threeportdrift
There's no need to 'use it in the classroom'. It won't be a problem.
Original post by tommytenmen
I started another thread on this board asking about chances of getting on a PGCE at Oxbridge. What I forgot to mention, as I forgot about it, as it doesn't seem a part of my life, is that I have a police reprimand for theft from when I was 15 (21 now).

From reading other threads, articles and information, it seems that my Oxbridge dreams are dashed by this act of foolishness. I can make excuses all day, but in reality there are none, I committed the crime and this is the time.

What I would like to know, though, is if ANY PGCE chances remain. Some people have said that they have 'a friend' who got on with a caution or reprimand but I've never seen a real one. Those asking a similar question to this one never come back to say how they got on (I will here, if anybody is interested). Is there anybody out there who has done it? Or knows the ins and outs of the system and could offer advice?

Aside from the reprimand, I think I am a strong applicant - 1st class degree, 6 weeks continous school experience, rugby coaching.

As last time, any response is welcomed (aside from pure abuse). I can take it if you confirm my worst suspicions, but I hope you pleasantly surprise me.

tommytenmen

The Supreme Court has just changed the law (2019) and it came into effect in Nov 2020. It ordered the clearing of historical offences on DBS and enhanced DBS. Go to the Unlock website to check.

If your current DBS has offences on, apply for another and it will be clear. If employed already, your employer may ask you to pay for it as strictly you’re only doing it to get a ‘clean sheet’.
Original post by Cantianella
The Supreme Court has just changed the law (2019) and it came into effect in Nov 2020. It ordered the clearing of historical offences on DBS and enhanced DBS. Go to the Unlock website to check.

If your current DBS has offences on, apply for another and it will be clear. If employed already, your employer may ask you to pay for it as strictly you’re only doing it to get a ‘clean sheet’.
I would hope Tommy has sorted himself out now after 9 years

Latest

Trending

Trending