The Student Room Group

Does this look Legit?

Applied for loads of IT jobs lately. Got a call back from this company called "iTeamSupport" asking me if i could attend an interview, everything about the company seems legit until you start researching them. Going to the careers page on their website says "Start your career today for just £4995", seems bit odd, said nothing about that in the advertisment, when i requested more information in the email it said i would have to pay some kind of exam fee of 500.00 for a microsoft certification. I guess my City and Guilds one plus experience isnt enough. I just want a normal job which i can do, a teenager cant possible pay that much, so has anyone had any experience with things like this? You think its worth at least attending an interview? I have my doubts about this company but ive applied for hundreds and this is the first thats come up
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Maybe go for the interview, but if they want you to pay them to work for them walk straight out. You don't pay employers, they pay you, end of.

You could even say "take it out of my first pay checks" and see what the reaction is. If they try to weedle out of that then definately dodgy
Reply 2
Maybe go for the interview, but if they want you to pay them to work for them walk straight out. You don't pay employers, they pay you, end of.

You could even say "take it out of my first pay checks" and see what the reaction is. If they try to weedle out of that then definitely dodgy
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Well they want me to get this qualification before i even start working for them but i have an equivalent one so i'll try and talk to them about that. I knew getting an interview after applying for hundreds was too good to be true.
Reply 4
Original post by SSX99
Well they want me to get this qualification before i even start working for them but i have an equivalent one so i'll try and talk to them about that. I knew getting an interview after applying for hundreds was too good to be true.

I'd always be wary of places wanting a qualification that is specific to them, if they need to be so specific they should provide training like any other work place
From what you've said here, I'd avoid any further dealings with them whatsoever. They might or might not be semi-legitimate, but their website absolutely reeks of them charging for 'training' which can be obtained elsewhere at far lower cost. I'd be suspicious that any initial charge is followed in a week or two by 'oh, and you'll need to pay for this other thing, of course'. A quick check suggests the exams themselves cost about £200 altogether. Training materials are available for under £100 on Amazon. Another concern is that it looks like the MCITP certification is set for retirement in less than a year, which doesn't bode well for its respect in the industry. (The existing MCSE certification appears to be taking its place.)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
You're doing it wrong - jobs are meant to pay you.
Reply 7
Bump.

I was just offered a job interview with this company for tomorrow. They phoned me this morning telling me they were going to send me the details for the interview via email. Just got the email now and naturally I went about Googling everything to learn where the place is and what the company is like and everything points to this being a scam.

The bottom of the email suggests that they want all employees to take this exam and get a Microsoft MCITP certificate which after searching turns out is being faded out anyway.

Anyone got any experience with this company? Really pissed off because I really want a bloody job and this is the first reply I've had in a while.

They advertise on official channels like monster.co.uk (the site I use).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by El Torres
Bump.

I was just offered a job interview with this company for tomorrow. They phoned me this morning telling me they were going to send me the details for the interview via email. Just got the email now and naturally I went about Googling everything to learn where the place is and what the company is like and everything points to this being a scam.

The bottom of the email suggests that they want all employees to take this exam and get a Microsoft MCITP certificate which after searching turns out is being faded out anyway.

Anyone got any experience with this company? Really pissed off because I really want a bloody job and this is the first reply I've had in a while.

They advertise on official channels like monster.co.uk (the site I use).

Original post by Matty919
You're doing it wrong - jobs are meant to pay you.

Everything points to being a scam so it probably is, don't be silly.
Reply 9
I went for a similar "job" they wanted me to pay 5k lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
I paid this "agency" 300£ on sept 2012. no work for me, and I still waiting for the MS certificate.... stay away from them
Reply 11
Original post by valkuz
I paid this "agency" 300£ on sept 2012. no work for me, and I still waiting for the MS certificate.... stay away from them

You were daft for paying tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
on a similar note, i recently was apply for jobs - junior marketing assistant wanted. I thought "no worries" and sent them my cv.

Within an hour, someone was on the phone asking me to interview,"Amazing" i thought.

It was only after i googled them to research the company that i realised that the job was actually door to door selling, commission only.

Emailed them at midnight saying "i am not coming to you after you." - thats it. They didnt even bother replying. Thank god i didnt waste a day and a train fare going down there!
Original post by Sol1dShot
on a similar note, i recently was apply for jobs - junior marketing assistant wanted. I thought "no worries" and sent them my cv.

Within an hour, someone was on the phone asking me to interview,"Amazing" i thought.

It was only after i googled them to research the company that i realised that the job was actually door to door selling, commission only.

Emailed them at midnight saying "i am not coming to you after you." - thats it. They didnt even bother replying. Thank god i didnt waste a day and a train fare going down there!

Same thing happen to me, the job is basically commission based but they have on target earnings so if you meet your target which could be 10 sales than you get £150 - £250 a week. There name is Unique Client Soultions and some other fake names.
Reply 14
*Bump*

Ive got an interview with them on monday but im reluctant to go now did seem a bit to good to be true. Advertised on reed 27k for a trainee position? Even Kaspersky Antivirus kept blocking me opening the Ad saying it was a sort of phishing page. http://gyazo.com/d86396758d13244614a1419ded9a13eb

Im not willing to pay inflated exam costs for the small potential of a placement...not even a full time job. Im not that desperate. But I do wonder what you guys think, any of you applied, interviewed or due to.
Reply 15
***BUMP***

What was the outcome? I've fallen into the trap, paid the fee's but after research have a feeling it was a bad mistake!

Please advise.

Thanks
Reply 16
Same here I went for an interview yesterday and ended up paying. What should I do now???
Reply 17
Why didn't you two google the place before the interview?

You paid £5k - cheque? Cancel the cheque.
Reply 18
done some significant research now! After paying the fees, too late i know. They are in rented offices, have set up 160+ companies. There seems to be 2-3 people running this scheme.

Dipz_1

Who interviewed you, and where was your interview? was you offered the job on the spot?
Why on earth would you pay someone to give you work.. It doesn't make sense, they should be paying you, regardless of whether you get qualifications out of it or not.

If you're still a teenager, then go do an apprenticeship (you get paid and get industry standard qualifications). In some instances they might offer you which qualifications you want to go for e.g. CCENT or MTA. Furthermore I wouldn't even bother paying that much for any certificate or training.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending