The Student Room Group

Lottery - Have you or close family won it?

Scroll to see replies

My dad wins all the time.

Spoiler

Original post by Dux_Helvetica
No. It's my belief that the lottery is a tax on stupidity.

That's true, especially for those daily and compulsive players. However, for those jackpot winners, not so much - but of course, it was only ever a several millions to one chance anyway.
Reply 22
I won £15 on a scratchcard...
Original post by UniversalAutocrat
Wow, thankyou so much. Really, there has been so much illumination as a result of your oh so informative and helpful response.

EDIT: Why the negs? Does TSR now not deem innocent and legitimate sarcasm as suitable?

TSR nowadays is full of uneducated miserable sods sadly, but your comment made me grin. :biggrin:
Reply 24
my farther won 56,000
he had been playing most of his life spending something like 15 a week on tickets and always gets the same numbers
hes certain at some point he win big haven't got a clue why
My grandad won it about 10 years ago, I can't remember the exact amount but it was a lot, I think about £100,000. He bought a landrover and a caravan and I don't really know what he did with the rest.
Reply 26
Apparently my uncle has just won £22,000 and he's gone back to his place of origin to get married to his second wife. I feel so sorry for the first, she's been so loyal to him and has finally managed to give him a child and now he's pretty much giving both his first wife and his child a slap in the face by marrying a young woman from a village using his winnings.
Not a family member but some local shops owners have won thousands. TWICE!
the parents of a boy from my primary school won a few million once. Bought a big house, nice cars, holidays, huge free bar parties... then moved out, down graded the cars.
and now are fairly middle class.

They played the lottery every week... then wasted their winnings by not planning investments and savings.

I work in Sainsbury's and we have an irish couple come in twice a week. spend hundreds on their shopping and ask for 40 lucky dips on the euros or standard lottery... I've only given them a payout of £10 ONCE
Reply 29
Original post by rmpr97
Yup, my friend won it. Was a 10 million rollover, he decided to ring up his boss and tell him where to shove it and spend his money in his account on expensive champagne to celebrate ... turns out he only won a fiver!

Thats actually jokes lool! What a plonkèr.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Reply 30
Original post by Dux_Helvetica
No. It's my belief that the lottery is a tax on stupidity.

Gambling can be fun. And lots of the money goes to good causes, unlike other forms of gambling. Not that i gamble ever, but i can see its appeal.

Credit cards are far worse. Not so much a stupidity tax as a fire pit of ignorance.
Im going to be rich! rich beyond my wildest dreams this friday!!!!!
I'm not allowed to play it. Mum is like some director at Camelot and as of a result we aren't allowed to play it, incase we win and the daily mail goes all "It's fixed/ a conspiracy!"
A girl in my primary school's dad won £64k on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, then shortly after his brother (who also had kids at my school) went on and won £32k!

One of them spent the money buying a field and quad bikes for his kids.
Reply 34
Apparently a distant relative on my dad's side of the family who I've never met won a few grand.

I've cancelled my lottery direct debit because I haven't even won a tenner. But it does mean I'll never check the numbers again, knowing my luck they'd come out!
I had a scratchcard for christmas and won £500. best stocking filler ever!
nope never, but in the 7 years ive had premium bonds ive won an entire £250 lol
Only small amounts. Gambling is silly.
Reply 38
Not the lottery, but my uncle won 14k on a horse and just spent it on stuff for the house. I won 200 on a scratchcard a few weeks ago as well, but I haven't let it change me.
Never :frown: Although i may try and get one for Friday!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending