The Student Room Group

Aeronautical engineering to investment banking

hey guys i need help , i want to study aeronautical engineering in university but i would want to pursue Investment Banking or finance , i just wanted to know is that possible ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
yes. it is.
Reply 2
it's perfect imo. because when you make your millions and buy a nice chateau just outside paris, you can fly your own jet to work every morning.
Reply 3
Original post by salmon1
it's perfect imo. because when you make your millions and buy a nice chateau just outside paris, you can fly your own jet to work every morning.

An aeronautical engineering degree doesn't make him a pilot.
Reply 4
Original post by wannawarner
hey guys i need help , i want to study aeronautical engineering in university but i would want to pursue Investment Banking or finance , i just wanted to know is that possible ?

I shall let you know after I apply for summer internships this year! I am currently doing an Aero degree!
The only thing I would say is learn finance terms and stay up to date! (I wish I did this as I am working hard to read up on a lot of things this summer!)

Original post by M1011

Haha I was going to say this as well! +ve rep for you!
Reply 5
I got the impression that having an engineering degree (mechanical in my case) was an advantage when it came to the interview stage for internships. It sets you apart from the bulk of the candidates with economics type degrees, your quantitative abilities are not questioned and your level of knowledge is not expected to be as great.
Reply 6
Original post by DeeDub
I got the impression that having an engineering degree (mechanical in my case) was an advantage when it came to the interview stage for internships. It sets you apart from the bulk of the candidates with economics type degrees, your quantitative abilities are not questioned and your level of knowledge is not expected to be as great.

It depends. When it comes to sales and trading, it will be a good advantage. However when you come to Investment Banking i wouldn't go as far to say it is an advantage. In IB the quick numerical skills are not needed as much as S&T. However your analytical skills would be good! But as I said before you need to stay in the know with FT etc which is harder to do as an Engineering Student!
Reply 7
Original post by M1011

although, most uni's offer ppl's to students studying aero eng, albeit for a couple grand....
Reply 8
Quick question:

When you say going into "Investment Banking" are they talking about becoming quant?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by A.sniper
although, most uni's offer ppl's to students studying aero eng, albeit for a couple grand....

Most unis? I think you will find out that not a lot of unis do not especially the top ones! Southampton / Bristol / Loughborough / Imperial all do not and they are your best shot getting into IB.
Reply 10
Original post by Ram92
Most unis? I think you will find out that not a lot of unis do not especially the top ones! Southampton / Bristol / Loughborough / Imperial all do not and they are your best shot getting into IB.

i think you mean, ''not a lot of uni's do''. i meant they usually offer it as an extra-curricular if you do aero. not at the uni itself but they will get a bus and go to a flying school, or at my uni it was a 2 week trip to florida.
Reply 11
i think you mean, ''not a lot of uni's do''. i meant they usually offer it as an extra-curricular if you do aero. not at the uni itself but they will get a bus and go to a flying school, or at my uni it was a 2 week trip to florida.

A lot of unis have societies or opportunities to fly. They may have a university air squadron which is a great opportunity but a commitment. But the point was that doing an Aero degree does not mean that you can fly at the end of it. Also I still believe the top universities do not offer a proper course to learn. A 2 week trip to florida sounds great however its a quick crash course rather than learning over the 3 or 4 year course.

May I ask what uni you go to?
Reply 12

is that true?? Are there only certain uni's that offer it? I think im going to apply for aero eng, that would be a good bonus! Do you also know if it is possible to study abroad for the final year?
Reply 13
Original post by Ram92
A lot of unis have societies or opportunities to fly. They may have a university air squadron which is a great opportunity but a commitment. But the point was that doing an Aero degree does not mean that you can fly at the end of it. Also I still believe the top universities do not offer a proper course to learn. A 2 week trip to florida sounds great however its a quick crash course rather than learning over the 3 or 4 year course.

May I ask what uni you go to?

manchester, i think your thinking of cpl, im talking about ppl only 50 flying hours required.....even at crap unis it wont be part of the course as they wouldnt want to include it in tuition fees :rolleyes:

edit: not that any crap uni's would offer aero eng...
It's possible, but why do a professional degree if you are not going to go into the porfession? It is kind of like a someone studying medicine/nursing or law then at the end of it not actually going into that job. I say this because an engineering degree is hard and there is a lot of emphasis on experience not just academic studies, a lot of what you learn are skills that you will use when going into industry. Meaning although engineering is a thoroughly enjoyable degree it can get quite tedious and at these points the only thing that gets you through the tedious bit is the fact that you need to do it to become an engineer. However if your abition isn't to become an engineer then that drive to get you through might not be there. Obiously it's easy to say you'll do it, but that's easier said than done. Most people go start a degree with the mindset that they are going to spend 3/4 years studying like mad to get a 1st, but the amount of people that achieve this in comparison is small.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, I'm just saying as someone that studies engieering and has faced the challanges of the degree that it is hard enough when your ambition is to become an engineer. If you still want to do it though then go for it but just bare in mind when the push comes to shove it may be harder than you think.

On a side not have you looked at maths degrees with economics or business. My mate studies economics and maths at uni and is looking to get into IB and he's already getting interviews for graduate schemes going into his last year.
Reply 15
Original post by Parente
is that true?? Are there only certain uni's that offer it? I think im going to apply for aero eng, that would be a good bonus! Do you also know if it is possible to study abroad for the final year?

yeh, its called erasmus and its extremely hard to be selected. Even if your uni/course doesn't host a ppl venture, just start a society, get 20 signatures and you can get the uni to pay for everything :wink:
Reply 16

I know very little about flying, but can't anyone go and pay for a PPL? Really nothing to do with doing an aeronautical engineering degree is it? Not that this is particularly relevant to the thread :s-smilie:
Reply 17
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn
It's possible, but why do a professional degree if you are not going to go into the porfession? It is kind of like a someone studying medicine/nursing or law then at the end of it not actually going into that job. I say this because an engineering degree is hard and there is a lot of emphasis on experience not just academic studies, a lot of what you learn are skills that you will use when going into industry. Meaning although engineering is a thoroughly enjoyable degree it can get quite tedious and at these points the only thing that gets you through the tedious bit is the fact that you need to do it to become an engineer. However if your abition isn't to become an engineer then that drive to get you through might not be there. Obiously it's easy to say you'll do it, but that's easier said than done. Most people go start a degree with the mindset that they are going to spend 3/4 years studying like mad to get a 1st, but the amount of people that achieve this in comparison is small.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, I'm just saying as someone that studies engieering and has faced the challanges of the degree that it is hard enough when your ambition is to become an engineer. If you still want to do it though then go for it but just bare in mind when the push comes to shove it may be harder than you think.

On a side not have you looked at maths degrees with economics or business. My mate studies economics and maths at uni and is looking to get into IB and he's already getting interviews for graduate schemes going into his last year.

I agree, i genuinely believe engineering is one of the most noble professions to go into, technically you have the power to advance the human race. Its such a damn shame in this country its not respected....in brazil, germany etc. you become (Engineero/Ingineer-your name) just like a doctor.
Reply 18
Original post by M1011
I know very little about flying, but can't anyone go and pay for a PPL? Really nothing to do with doing an aeronautical engineering degree is it? Not that this is particularly relevant to the thread :s-smilie:

yes, but by gaining an appreciation for how an aerodynamically stable airframe behaves you can anticipate load characteristics in certain situations and how pilot interfaces affect control etc.

all which can help an aerospace engineer better understand how to design an aircraft with more innovative solutions.
Reply 19
yeh, its called erasmus and its extremely hard to be selected. Even if your uni/course doesn't host a ppl venture, just start a society, get 20 signatures and you can get the uni to pay for everything :wink:

Wow cheers for the info mate, +Rep :smile: Also about this erasmus. My cousin is Italian and was selected to study his final year of computer science in Manchester. Do you know if having family relations in that country or being able to speak the language would increase your chances? I would like to study in a uni like Manchester (I live fairly close) and then in the final year study in Pisa as its the best in Italy for engineering. I have family in Rome and speak the language ok, but not fluent but I will get myself better. Also for that signature thing, can you seriously get 20 signatures and then have the uni pay for the ppl course?? Sounds great. If you are doing aero eng, you should seriously consider doing work experience in airbus in Chester. I live in Chester and airbus is amazing! Went there for one week in the quality assurance engineering department and it was pretty amazing. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending