The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Searching for student houses for international student

Hello everyone. I'm from Malaysia and probably will start my 1st year degree in Manchester with another 2 of my friends. From what my seniors said, it's more cheaper to find a student house rather than applying to hall so we decided to take this option. Since money is crucial for us and we're not really into social life, any advices or tips in finding/booking the houses?

I found some good websites such as http://www.manchesterstudenthomes.com/Home , so basically is there anything we need to provide?
Reply 1
Bro, I study in Birmingham and felt exactly the same the first time I went to the UK.

My opinion is it's better to stay at a student hall first (better if it's just for 1 semester). I did that, and will be moving to a house when I start my final year this October.

Halls are usually all-inclusive (utilities, water, heating, internet etc), so it's much better to learn your way around first. Once you're done with staying in a hall for that 1 semester, you can move out to a house/apartment. By then, you'll know your way around and will already be familiar with Manchester city. And you might even meet other people along the way that would be better future housemates (lol no offence to your friends). Plus, it's safer for newer students because they usually don't know their way about.

Of course, you can go ahead with your plan to go straight for a house, but it's risky. Try looking for a Malaysian society in Manchester, I'm sure they'll be happy to give advice and help!
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by ashrafmr
Bro, I study in Birmingham and felt exactly the same the first time I went to the UK.

My opinion is it's better to stay at a student hall first (better if it's just for 1 semester). I did that, and will be moving to a house when I start my final year this October.

Halls are usually all-inclusive (utilities, water, heating, internet etc), so it's much better to learn your way around first. Once you're done with staying in a hall for that 1 semester, you can move out to a house/apartment. By then, you'll know your way around and will already be familiar with Manchester city. And you might even meet other people along the way that would be better future housemates (lol no offence to your friends). Plus, it's safer for newer students because they usually don't know their way about.

Of course, you can go ahead with your plan to go straight for a house, but it's risky. Try looking for a Malaysian society in Manchester, I'm sure they'll be happy to give advice and help!

how long does a semesster last?
Reply 3
Original post by Fresh Prince of

I can't say the same for all courses. It really depends on which course you're reading. Mine is 4 months long mate.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Fresh Prince of

September - December (although technically 1st Semester ends with the exams in January) and February - June.
No, no, no, no, no. It's not cheaper to live in a student house than halls. As I posted in the FAQ,

Won't a privately rented shared house work out cheaper?
All privately rented shared houses are self-catered, and almost all are shared bathroom, so I'll compare it against Oak House, which is self-catered, shared bathroom, using 2011-12 prices.
Oak House
£82 for 40 weeks = £3280 (includes all bills)
No deposit - there is a £400 pre-payment, but this is automatically offset against your final accommodation payment.
If you are receiving a bursary, and opt for the accommodation discount, then the total bill will actually come to £2000 less. The accommodation discount is not applicable to privately rented shared houses.

Shared House - a conservative estimate (i.e. it may very well cost more than this)
Typical student houses will cost £70-80pw, on a 52 week contract, with a half rent concession over eight weeks of summer, so £70 for 44 weeks + £35 for 8 weeks = £3360
Bills - typically £10-15pppw, so £10 for 52 weeks = £520
Deposit - typically £300-400, and you may or may not get it back.
Total: £3880 + deposit

In addition, in private houses you tend to have problems with landlords that are either incompetent or maliciously bad (repairs not being done, laws not being followed, and deposits not being handed back etc.) along with the hassle of dealing with utility providers, getting a council tax exemption, maintaining the garden and doing all your own cleaning should be enough to put you off renting in the private sector until you have to. Reading the RenterGirl blog should open your eyes to the fast ones that many landlords and their agents try to pull.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2014813
Reply 6
If you can get into Oak House (not particularly hard) price wise it is on par if not cheaper than living in a student house.

If not what I suggest is coming booking into a hostel then looking when you get here there, in september there is always stuff that landlords haven't been able to let out over the summer.
Reply 7
http://themarketplace.staffnet.manchester.ac.uk/

Marketplace for staffs and student. Pretty good prices when I checked them out. I would of course advice you to get school hall first to familiarize yourself with the school and manchester and take your options in second year. After all if you are staying in Malaysia, you don't get to see your landlord or house.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending