The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

The Big 'Recommend Me A College' Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1440
yeah I was looking at Collingwood, it would probably be the one I choose but at the moment am being completely out off of Durham purely because of the nightlife. is that a bad thing? I'm considering Bristol instead purely because of the vibrant city
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
I read a really good quote the other day: "you go to university for a degree, not a social life".

Don't let the nightlife be a major factor. (I know it has to be a contributing one though!)

From what I've read, the nightlife in Newcastle, plus the college bars, of which almost all of them have good reputations, and the average nightlife in Durham you'll be kept entertained enough. Also, Collingwood has "Newcastle nights" where a lot of you will all go up together.

Sorry if you're not 18, and I don't mean this to sound so condescending, but take it from a 23 year old, you will get very bored of going out every weekend, especially as someone with above average intelligence
Hiya,

I'm hoping to be studying Politics (Integrated with a Foundation Year), can anyone suggest a College?
Original post by JackEDeakin
Hiya,

I'm hoping to be studying Politics (Integrated with a Foundation Year), can anyone suggest a College?

Well, what things do you want in a college/accomodation?
Original post by clonedmemories
Well, what things do you want in a college/accommodation?

Well, the reason my question was so vague is because I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be wanting/looking for? I mean, I don't have any NEEDS in regards to accessibility and I'm not too fussed about whether it's catered or not (but I'm not ruling out catered accommodation)

I suppose proximity to the Durham City Centre would be ideal as I already have a part-time job sorted out, but also I guess somewhere "nice" (does that make sense?) But aren't all the College's pretty much within walking distance of everywhere?

Cheers
For politics Jack you don't want a Hill college like Collingwood. The two closest to the Politics building are Van Mildert and Trevalyan. Do you know how much maintenance loan you will get? Remember that catered accommodation costs 7 and a bit grand, and the increase in price works out at roughly £65 per week for the catering. Luckily I'm going to be an independent student as I've been supporting myself financially for more than the past 3 years, meaning my parents salaries aren't considered even though I live with them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BradPennick
For politics Jack you don't want a Hill college like Collingwood. The two closest to the Politics building are Van Mildert and Trevalyan. Do you know how much maintenance loan you will get? Remember that catered accommodation costs 7 and a bit grand, and the increase in price works out at roughly £65 per week for the catering. Luckily I'm going to be an independent student as I've been supporting myself financially for more than the past 3 years, meaning my parents salaries aren't considered even though I live with them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I believe I should eligible for full Loans and Grants and have some savings myself. It is based on my parents as I'm not a mature student.

As both my parents are divorced (I'm currently in a gap(ish) year), does it only count for the 1 parent I live with, or both?
Thank you :smile:
Hello! I'm applying to Durham to study History, and trying to decide on a college. Would like something traditional, formal hall and all that, not really fussed about location as I'm fond of walking and know Durham fairly well anyway. I'm also a cricketer so would like a college with some decent sporting tradition. At the minute I'm stuck between St Chads and Castle - am I better off applying to Chads because Castle will be so oversubscribed? Also a few pros and cons of each would be great thanks!
It'll be based on the parent you "live with". The way I personally define this is where your post gets sent. If it were me, if my maintenance loan didn't cover the catered accommodation, I'd look purely for self catered, so I'd suggest going for a self catered college.

On top of that you want a good social life, and each college does different socials. They all have their own pub, so a good pub, and accommodation itself varies a lot. Do some research on the Durham website, that's how I decided on Collingwood :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
@amygracebroad

Chads and Castle would be the two I would recommend as well. To be honest, pros and cons are really only something you can say for yourself, as some of the pros of my preferred choice might be cons for you. If you want generic ones though I'll post again in a bit for you!

Also, as amazing as Castle seems, it is incredibly over subscribed. If it were me, I'd just go for Chads, as I have heard that if you don't get accepted into your college choice you get allocated at a random college out of your control

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JackEDeakin
Well, the reason my question was so vague is because I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be wanting/looking for? I mean, I don't have any NEEDS in regards to accessibility and I'm not too fussed about whether it's catered or not (but I'm not ruling out catered accommodation)

I suppose proximity to the Durham City Centre would be ideal as I already have a part-time job sorted out, but also I guess somewhere "nice" (does that make sense?) But aren't all the College's pretty much within walking distance of everywhere?

Cheers

Things you probably want to consider:
College size
Whether you would be happy to share a room and/or a bathroom
What kind of activities you'd want to get involved with
Somewhere more modern or more traditional?
Any other facilities you'd like nearby? A chapel? A decent gym?

Every college is no more than 20 minutes walk from the town centre, so distance isn't an issue unless you're particularly lazy.
Original post by clonedmemories
Things you probably want to consider:
College size
Whether you would be happy to share a room and/or a bathroom
What kind of activities you'd want to get involved with
Somewhere more modern or more traditional?
Any other facilities you'd like nearby? A chapel? A decent gym?

Every college is no more than 20 minutes walk from the town centre, so distance isn't an issue unless you're particularly lazy.

I spose size doesn't matter to me, I'm up for anything, the same for the modern or traditional factors.
I would definitely be happy to share a room if I had to, and the same for a bathroom.
I'd probably want to get involved in Student Union's/Committees such as the JCR, I'd personally be getting involved in my Local Labour Students Union and CLP Labour Party (I'm a member).
I'd probably like a good gym too.

I've read Collingwood is quite good and it seems quite well rounded, and as I've mentioned previously, St Mary's look quite good too.
Original post by dorababy1995
Hey all,

I'm a 21-year-old blind EU student and willl be applying to durham for 2017 to study English with foundation. I've applied there before and got an offer for the standard BA English course, but I had to turn it down for various reasons. I've been trying and trying to take a level 3 qualification (either an A-level or an IB exam) in English literature, but Hungary isn't the easiest of places to take either the A-level or the IB - only two schools offer them and neither of them will accept private candidates. I have just discovered this 4-year English with foundation and well, it would be the ideal course for me - even better than an Oxbridge offer would have been!

When I applied in February, I made an open application. This time I want to choose a college that is
- relatively close both to the foundation centre and the English department.
- has a good support system (I will obviously need someone to tae me to classes and back, at least or the first few months!)
- 3 meals a day, 7 days a week
- relatively accessible accommodation

Edit: I've applied for the standard English BA as I'm no longer eligible for the foundation year. I only wanted to apply for the foundation year because I don't have an A-level in English, but they're very lenient. :smile:

I ended up applying to St Chad's. Does anyone know anything about that college?
Hey guys,

I am applying to Durham for Chinese Studies with year abroad, and I need help with choosing a college. I actually didn't know that Durham had colleges (it was a last minute decision to apply, but now I have more time, cause I decided not to apply to Oxford), so I know very little about the colleges. Could you help me choose one? I would like it to be an active college, as in with many opportunities to get to know the others, have clubs or whatever, you know. I also would love the college that I would be going to to be in the centre and not on the outskirts of the city.

Also, what do you "get" in your college? Do you live there, and if yes, do you do that for the whole of your studies? And do you get food there, is there a hall or something there? I really don't know much about urham colleges, help me! :biggrin: Thanks in advance.
Original post by historyoxford
hatfield or castle is the question for me? dont want anywhere else so applying to castle is sketchy as heard its oversubscribed but is hatfield decent? or should i risk it and go for castle? cheers

I'd say apply for the college you most want to go to, regardless of its popularity. Although, if you don't mind too much between them, it might just be better going for Hatfield to maximise your chances of getting your chosen college. And from what I've heard, everyone is pretty much happy with their college even if it wasn't the one they applied to (I applied to Chad's and got Trevs but love it so far)
If you want a more real uni experience- Butler is the one!!!! Self-catered so you make really close friends with your flatmates. Also, en suite is a great thing so you dont have to deal with flat mates chunning in your toilet! The college is only 10 years old, so the rooms are nice and modern, and the bar has a great design and super cheap drinks,
Everyone is so friendly and despite the fact I've only been here for 6 days, it already feels homely.

Just dont choose Hatfield!
Hey! I'm submitting my application in a couple days and am torn between Castle and Cuths. I want a social college, tbh Castle ticks every box but it's so oversubscribed! How does the college allocation work? Is it random or first come first served? I've got no idea.
I'm applying to do English Literature, on my UCAS form I've put no preference but I'm not sure if they would like that? Ideally want a college that is close to where English is taught with a good social and nice scenery. If I still put no preference, how would they allocate me a college? Thanks! ☺️
Reply 1458
Does anyone know where PPE lectures/teaching is held, and which colleges are fairly close? Thanks
Original post by htag31
Does anyone know where PPE lectures/teaching is held, and which colleges are fairly close? Thanks

They'll be held all over the place. Politics is near to Aidan's, Trev's and Mary's, while Philosophy/Economics are taught at Elvet Riverside, which is closer to the Bailey colleges. Equally, these aren't particularly set in stone, and while subjects typically have a building, they can be taught anywhere around the university. No college is more than 30 mins walk from anywhere else (and that's if you're a slow walker!) regardless of where they're held.

Quick Reply

Latest