The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

The Big 'Recommend Me A College' Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous_4657
Is a bigger college better? Chads seem very small. I don’t know if being in the Bailey is better and nicer. Collingwood seems nice but far from town, so I don’t know if this is an issue. What’s your view?

It depends what you like :smile: Bigger can be better in terms of opportunities, for instance you wouldn't find the theatre and sport opportunities you get at Collingwood at a significantly smaller college because they just couldn't afford it! Imo the Bailey isn't nicer particularly, a lot of the hill is a lot more modern so you don't have the issue with shared rooms etc. which people always seem to try and avoid. Better is subjective too, it's nearer to town, but the facilities are often considered less good so it's all a toss up. I wouldn't say being far from town is a major issue, being catered you don't need to be regularly carrying shopping back or anything, and ultimately everything you may want could be bought online nowadays so it's not an issue in that respect. The only thing with town being a distance is potentially clubbing, but people do walk the distance if they like it, and who knows if clubbing will be a thing next year!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Lemur14
It depends what you like :smile: Bigger can be better in terms of opportunities, for instance you wouldn't find the theatre and sport opportunities you get at Collingwood at a significantly smaller college because they just couldn't afford it! Imo the Bailey isn't nicer particularly, a lot of the hill is a lot more modern so you don't have the issue with shared rooms etc. which people always seem to try and avoid. Better is subjective too, it's nearer to town, but the facilities are often considered less good so it's all a toss up. I wouldn't say being far from town is a major issue, being catered you don't need to be regularly carrying shopping back or anything, and ultimately everything you may want could be bought online nowadays so it's not an issue in that respect. The only thing with town being a distance is potentially clubbing, but people do walk the distance if they like it, and who knows if clubbing will be a thing next year!

Thanks for the reply. I've now chosen my college, which is St Cuthbert Society. I have chosen Cuths due to location and recommendations from people I know at the University. I don't know what reputation St Cuthbert Society get. I know this college may be popular, but I'm crossing my fingers I get it. I only want a single room on the Bailey in Cuths. I hope I have made the right choice.
Thanks for the reply. I've now chosen my college, which is St Cuthbert Society. I have chosen Cuths due to location and recommendations from people I know at the University. I don't know what reputation St Cuthbert Society get. I know this college may be popular, but I'm crossing my fingers I get it. I only want a single room on the Bailey in Cuths. I hope I have made the right choice.

If you want a larger college on the Bailey Cuths is a good one. If you look on youtube there are plenty of videos re Durham, accomodation and Cuths. If you choose catered at Cuths you are likely to be on the Bailey as the self catered accomodation is in another location nearby but I think the Bailey rooms have a higher chance of being shared rooms. I wouldn't agonise too much over your choice as you may get reallocated no matter what college you choose and everyone loves their college once they settle in to student life even if it wasnt their first choice.

Glad you've made the decision and are happy with it :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
If you want a larger college on the Bailey Cuths is a good one. If you look on youtube there are plenty of videos re Durham, accomodation and Cuths. If you choose catered at Cuths you are likely to be on the Bailey as the self catered accomodation is in another location nearby but I think the Bailey rooms have a higher chance of being shared rooms. I wouldn't agonise too much over your choice as you may get reallocated no matter what college you choose and everyone loves their college once they settle in to student life even if it wasnt their first choice.

While they ask for your preference, there often are cases where people asked for catered and got self catered or vice versa, so while yes catered is on the Bailey it's quite competitive. And yep, with regard to shared rooms, I believe it's only about half single rooms on the Bailey so you have nearly twice as many students in shared rooms there! But totally agree, everyone ends up loving their college :yep:
Original post by Lemur14
Glad you've made the decision and are happy with it :smile:

While they ask for your preference, there often are cases where people asked for catered and got self catered or vice versa, so while yes catered is on the Bailey it's quite competitive. And yep, with regard to shared rooms, I believe it's only about half single rooms on the Bailey so you have nearly twice as many students in shared rooms there! But totally agree, everyone ends up loving their college :yep:

I've change my mind and now have sent my UCAS application in and I have applied to St Chads. I know St Chads is over subscribed, but I'm crossing my finger and toes that I get in. I like the fact that St Chads is quite small, and also the location of it. I hope I can get a single room in St Chads, but I know I may have to share. I wouldn't mind sharing if I get St Chads, but I would definitely prefer a single room due to personal reasons. Maybe I can get a single room on medical grounds. If I don't get St Chads and get reallocated to a college I don't like I'll definitely go to St Andrews. I'm torn between both St Andrews and Durham university at the moment. What college I get a Durham will hugely affect my decision to accept it. I'm currently holding a place at St Andrews due to deferring my place this year and due to medical and Covid reasons.
Original post by username4506446
I've change my mind and now have sent my UCAS application in and I have applied to St Chads. I know St Chads is over subscribed, but I'm crossing my finger and toes that I get in. I like the fact that St Chads is quite small, and also the location of it. I hope I can get a single room in St Chads, but I know I may have to share. I wouldn't mind sharing if I get St Chads, but I would definitely prefer a single room due to personal reasons. Maybe I can get a single room on medical grounds. If I don't get St Chads and get reallocated to a college I don't like I'll definitely go to St Andrews. I'm torn between both St Andrews and Durham university at the moment. What college I get a Durham will hugely affect my decision to accept it. I'm currently holding a place at St Andrews due to deferring my place this year and due to medical and Covid reasons.

Good luck! Be aware you're very likely to have to decide between your St Andrews offer and your current UCAS application before you get your college allocation, last time I heard, the final decision between the two was likely to have to be January so would be before Durham have even started college allocations.
Original post by username4506446
What does everyone think of St Chads vs St Cuthbert Society (Bailey site) vs Collingwood colleges? I’ve narrowed it down to these colleges, but I now cannot make up my mind. I’m submitting my UCAS for Business and management & Economics with management soon.

I am applying for business management but my prediction grade is one off the standard offer and what other universities are you applying to?
Hey! Hope you’re well, I’m applying for History & Combined honours this year. So torn which college I should apply to. I want to be near the Bailey & want traditional - gowned college?

Don’t wanna apply for castle cause you don’t actually live in the castle & will most likely to be allocated elsewhere ... same with Chads.

I’ll be 20 when I start, is it normal at Durham for people to be 1-2 years old in first year?
Original post by isrchow
Hey! Hope you’re well, I’m applying for History & Combined honours this year. So torn which college I should apply to. I want to be near the Bailey & want traditional - gowned college?

Don’t wanna apply for castle cause you don’t actually live in the castle & will most likely to be allocated elsewhere ... same with Chads.

I’ll be 20 when I start, is it normal at Durham for people to be 1-2 years old in first year?

If you want the Bailey and gowned, but not Castle or Chads, then it's pretty much a choice between St Johns and Hatfield. The big difference between those two is Hatfield is a lot bigger than St Johns, which is one of, if not the smallest college in Durham.
Obviously the most common age to start is 18, followed by 19, but there'll be plenty of people who are outside of those two groups :smile: And honestly unless you make a big thing of it, people won't even notice!
whats the reputation / cohort like in the two? Heard Hatfield is v posh - private school educated etc
Original post by Anonymous
whats the reputation / cohort like in the two? Heard Hatfield is v posh - private school educated etc

Hatfield has a reputation for being posh, iirc there's not actually a higher number of privately educated people there though. St Johns, being smaller does tend to have a culture of knowing everyone because it's so small and they also have a few perks most colleges don't have such as free laundry! I wouldn't let Hatfield's reputation put you off though, it's a big college so there's all kinds of people there, and almost everyone will find their crowd :smile:
Original post by isrchow

My daughter had a gap year and turns 20 shortly as she has an autumn birthday. She has just started at Johns and age difference doesn't seem to be an issue at all.
Reply 1592
Wondering if anyone could help me choose a college? Here's who I am and what i'm looking for:
- I'm planning to study Computer Science
- I'm more academic than sporty (I've heard Collingwood is very sporty; not sure how true this is)
- I'm not too interested in the traditional/gowned dinners (having been at a boarding school for 5 years, i don't particularly wanna go through all that stuff again) but then again if the college was really cool I'd brace the formal dinners
- I would prefer not sharing a room
- I'd like to be close to other colleges
- Certainly want a catered college
- Would rather a more spacious college than a small one (in terms of college size and room size)
- Would also like to be close to town, but if I wasn't it wouldnt be the be-all and end-all
- I'm indifferent to whether it's a Hill or Bailey college, from what I've heard Bailey seems to have more picturesque surroundings but Hill is more fun (true or not?)

I;m so indecisive I can't choose; thanks in advance!
Original post by bs503
Wondering if anyone could help me choose a college? Here's who I am and what i'm looking for:
- I'm planning to study Computer Science
- I'm more academic than sporty (I've heard Collingwood is very sporty; not sure how true this is)
- I'm not too interested in the traditional/gowned dinners (having been at a boarding school for 5 years, i don't particularly wanna go through all that stuff again) but then again if the college was really cool I'd brace the formal dinners
- I would prefer not sharing a room
- I'd like to be close to other colleges
- Certainly want a catered college
- Would rather a more spacious college than a small one (in terms of college size and room size)
- Would also like to be close to town, but if I wasn't it wouldnt be the be-all and end-all
- I'm indifferent to whether it's a Hill or Bailey college, from what I've heard Bailey seems to have more picturesque surroundings but Hill is more fun (true or not?)

I;m so indecisive I can't choose; thanks in advance!

Right so let's start by listing the non-gowned colleges as a starting point. Collingwood, St Aidans, Cuths, Hild Bede, Stephenson and Van Mildert. Stephenson is fully self catered and Cuths is about 75% self catered, so let's remove them. Hild Bede is the only college out on it's own and not near other colleges so let's get rid of that too.
So now we're left with Collingwood, St Aidans and Van Mildert. Those are all fairly large colleges, so let's ignore that point for now. It's worth noting all of these are hill colleges, so unfortunately none are particularly close to town, however hill colleges do tend to be more spacious and have less shared rooms, so I'd say a hill college is still a better choice for you.
Collingwood is very near the new computer science building (which should be complete by the time you start) if that's a factor for you. While Collingwood has a reputation for being sporty, this is really only because they're a large college so offer a lot of sports teams, where maybe other colleges might only have a couple per sport, so it's not a major thing, also they have some good places for practice (eg. a football pitch which a lot of colleges don't have) so people who like sport are perhaps more encouraged to apply there. If you don't want to be involved in sport then there'll be plenty of people there that aren't too!
St Aidans is probably the one of the three least near other colleges, and it also has the most shared rooms and is the smallest, so I'd possibly say out of the three it isn't the best choice for you.
Out of collingwood and Van Mildert it's really up to you :smile: There's not a great deal between them and I'd say they meet all your criteria apart from the close to town bit :yep:
What is Esher College like?
Original post by shortgirl96

This is a Durham uni college thread, you'll want to post in the secondary schools and sixth form section if you want to talk about sixth forms :smile:
Reply 1596
Original post by Lemur14
Right so let's start by listing the non-gowned colleges as a starting point. Collingwood, St Aidans, Cuths, Hild Bede, Stephenson and Van Mildert. Stephenson is fully self catered and Cuths is about 75% self catered, so let's remove them. Hild Bede is the only college out on it's own and not near other colleges so let's get rid of that too.
So now we're left with Collingwood, St Aidans and Van Mildert. Those are all fairly large colleges, so let's ignore that point for now. It's worth noting all of these are hill colleges, so unfortunately none are particularly close to town, however hill colleges do tend to be more spacious and have less shared rooms, so I'd say a hill college is still a better choice for you.
Collingwood is very near the new computer science building (which should be complete by the time you start) if that's a factor for you. While Collingwood has a reputation for being sporty, this is really only because they're a large college so offer a lot of sports teams, where maybe other colleges might only have a couple per sport, so it's not a major thing, also they have some good places for practice (eg. a football pitch which a lot of colleges don't have) so people who like sport are perhaps more encouraged to apply there. If you don't want to be involved in sport then there'll be plenty of people there that aren't too!
St Aidans is probably the one of the three least near other colleges, and it also has the most shared rooms and is the smallest, so I'd possibly say out of the three it isn't the best choice for you.
Out of collingwood and Van Mildert it's really up to you :smile: There's not a great deal between them and I'd say they meet all your criteria apart from the close to town bit :yep:

Thanks very much for this; I reckon Collingwood might be the way to go!
Original post by bs503
Thanks very much for this; I reckon Collingwood might be the way to go!

No problem! Collingwood certainly seems to fit your criteria - it's a good choice :smile:
Original post by shortgirl96

My experience so far is gonna be kinda different due to the whole COVID thing but I'll try my best to explain! I will admit it's huge, not necessarily the school but the amount of people, there is literally around 1000 people per year it's crazy and definitely seems a bit overwhelming at first. The environment is great though, it's a lot more mature than secondary or indeed sixth forms as colleges, whilst we are doing A levels, is more of a stepping stone to university which is actually really important and was one of the main reasons I went so it's not as intense transitioning to uni. There is more uni vibes and you do generally have to be a bit more independent and there's less spoon feeding but that really helps if you're more of an independent learner or gives you the right mindset for uni. Thee topics for the courses are super interesting so if you're doing something you like it's gonna be great. I'll admit the number of people makes it a bit hard to make friends instantly cause there is so many people but it only takes a couple days and because there's so many you're bound to find someone you get along with, and there are tons of like-minded people in my classes. The campus is quite big but for some reason all my classes are in the same yellow block so that's ok, it does seem like a bit of a maze ngl but everyone is pretty friendly and there are clearish signs so it should be pretty straightforward to follow. The freedom of being able to come and go between classes is really handy so you can sleep in, grab food or catch up on homework, ut a ton of people have said you should really use it for studying so I gotta try to do more of that. The library and learning resources are great and they make it really easy to access anything you'd need. the complementary studies are pretty cool but it can be hard to get into one you want depending on timetabling so I wouldn't get your hopes too high as I didn't get any, but now I'm on one that I didn't think I'd be crazy about and its alright. The teachers are really cool and super passionate about their classes which really makes the classes that bit better and I think the school as a whole is pretty great despite some enrolment issues I had that got a bit stressful. Food is also good, they have a lot of stuff they definitely wouldn't have at a secondary like sweets and fanta etc as well as a costa and healthy options, plus an external pizza van comes once a week which is pretty cool. all in all it's very independent but I've only been there a little while and I love it. If you do end up coming I'll keep an eye out and say hi!
Hi, I am applying to Durham for Biology and am torn between Grey and Collingwood. Is Collingwood really that sporty and is Grey a nice college with nice people? Just want to know everything about them haha

Quick Reply

Latest