The Student Room Group

--offshore oil rig apprentice--

Hello I'm 18 years old and wan't to start a career in the offshore Oil Rig industry,I was reading about the OPTIO college available in Aberdeen.

I'm curios about the requirement's of 4 GCSE's level a* - c, I was wondering would I still be able to apply for this position even though I don't meet the requirements?
I went though a rough part of my life at the important time of my GCSE's due to loosing a family member.

I had a lot of time off school and didn't revise as much as I should have done, Result wasn't so good. I did have a couple of C's But mostly D's.
Could have done so much better than the result's I gained :frown:

I'm on an Plumbing apprenticeship (NVQ LEVEL 2 Heating + Gas Engineering DIPLOMA) with my family business and have 5 months left.
I've completed my essential(Key skills) level 2 and all ready have a good knowledge of the course OPTIO due to my father completed it.

Really interested in the offshore oil rig industry. OPTIO is essential for the career path and just wondering is there any other options I could take?

Any help will be very useful, Gerran Smith.
(edited 11 years ago)
You could go back to night classes and re-sit the GCSEs to get the grades. They won't look at you without them.
Reply 2
I imagine there will be a lot of competition for these places. Your current apprenticeship will probably look good but if there are people with the required grades along with an aditional qualifications it might make it more difficult for you. I'd probably recommend trying to get the grades as it'll boost your chances.

Have you looked into using your current apprenticeship offshore? I was speaking with an instructor at a training course I was on, a lot of people in the class didn't have any form of trade to back them up for getting a job in the oil industry. If you can't get on the apprentice scheme you might be able to look at getting your offshore tickets and finding a job. This is expensive though so make sure there are potential jobs before you take this route.
Reply 3
Hey Cowzo & ProStacker, thanks for your reply! I've looked into doing night classes to resit my GCSE's and they said it will take 3 years doing it this way.. :frown:I'm in a really bad situation because there is a course available in my local college that takes 2 years, You choose 5 GCSE's and at the end of the 2nd year I'll resit the chosen subjects which sounds grate! But this is full time course...In the UK if your under the age of 19 years old you don't have to pay for your education! But I still have 7/10 months left before I finish my apprenticeship and get qualified as a Plumber/Gas engineer.Of-course by the time I would have completed my apprenticeship I'll be 19 and have to pay for the course,(Expensive). So I don't know what option is best to take :s-smilie:! PS I didn't know I even had an option to carry my plumbing apprentice offshore! Thanks for the help guys!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending