The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford postgraduate applicants 2014/15

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1980
Hi all,I've just received an email saying I have been rejected by my first preference college (Merton). Does anyone have any idea how it works from this point on? Does the faculty select a college for me? Or are applicants pooled like undergrads? Can I contact the faculty and nominate a second preference or is that a big no-no? Most people on my course seem to be at St Antony's, does that mean that I am most likely to end up there too?
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Hello

Anyone applied for the Pirie-Reid Scholarship at Oxford?
Reply 1982
Original post by rosie_86
Hi all,I've just received an email saying I have been rejected by my first preference college (Merton). Does anyone have any idea how it works from this point on? Does the faculty select a college for me? Or are applicants pooled like undergrads? Can I contact the faculty and nominate a second preference or is that a big no-no? Most people on my course seem to be at St Antony's, does that mean that I am most likely to end up there too?

No, the faculty does not have a hand in college decisions (unless it is funding-related, like partnership awards, where they may work together with the college(s)). What would happen now is that your application papers will be passed on to the other colleges until one of them accepts you. Ultimately you must be a member of a college, so a place is guaranteed - just a matter of which one. There is no hard and fast rule of where one can end up in, so all you can do is wait patiently. :smile:
Reply 1983
Original post by HistoryHistory
Still waiting to hear from History! Is anyone else still sans result, or is it just me? Is it catastrophically hopeless?

You've STILL not heard? What! That is madness, it's nearly May! You poor lamb. X
Original post by HistoryHistory
Still waiting to hear from History! Is anyone else still sans result, or is it just me? Is it catastrophically hopeless?

Schichtoe's still waiting as well, isn't he? Oxford need to pull their finger out! :colonhash:
Reply 1985
Has anyone heard if the Ertegun results have been sent out? My boyfriend applied for it and is still hoping there's a small chance he could get it.
Reply 1986
Original post by Donald Twain
The statistical average for completion in the US is roughly 7 years. However the statistical average for completion here in the UK far exceeds the 3 which the Universities afford people, and is usually closer to four or five depending on the University (I know two people who have completed already and neither completed in 3 years).

There is a certain appeal in the 3 year PhD. It really depends what you want from it. If you wish to go into academia then to stand a realistic chance of securing post-doctoral work, particularly in the Humanities, you need experience of teaching, conferences and publishing. Doing these three things alongside the intensive academic workload of the three year PhD is difficult. PhDs will often include much of the research skills training that is incorporated into the preliminary Masters year(s) in the US. That is certainly the case in my subject field.

However, the problem in the UK remains, without a scholarship you must be rich, as there are no loans. For once in my life I can see the advantage of loans as a facilitator of access.

The three year PhD is precisely why I applied to UK universities (for the same reasons as DeMoomin). I'll have spent 2 years doing an MS, and if I change universities here in the US I'll probably have to do 4-5 years to get a PhD. Plus there's the qualifying exams. They're typically very tough and basically occupy you for most of a semester.

I'm not convinced that the access to loans really helps. If you're paying for a PhD, it's not really a sound financial decision. The cost of the tuition coupled with the minimal increase in earning potential and the lost income over the time spent studying means it's not worth it. A Master's degree is different though.

If it's any consolation to anyone, I also have yet to hear back about colleges. I figure it's in the pipeline and will happen sometime in the next month or so.
See you guys in Oxford next year! Just accepted my offer.
Still no college yet though, applied to lincoln
Original post by jdh7
I'm not convinced that the access to loans really helps. If you're paying for a PhD, it's not really a sound financial decision. The cost of the tuition coupled with the minimal increase in earning potential and the lost income over the time spent studying means it's not worth it. A Master's degree is different though.

All of those things are true in the UK. I earn a lot of money now and a PhD is a big step down, and when I have finished I will still be earning less than I am now. However I have other reasons for wanting to do a PhD beside money. It is precisely because I am not devoted to money that I am doing a PhD in the first place.

However, even with my earnings there is no way I can save up enough money to pay for the full length of a PhD. As for most other people it is funding or nothing. The loan would be the difference between doing it and not doing it, it just doesn't exist here so we're stuffed if we're not rich or don't have rich parents. Very sad state of affairs.
Just been accepted by Regent's Park. Anyone else here applied to/been accepted by/have any info on Regent's?
Reply 1990
Offer accepted: DPhil Theoretical Physics and Magdalen :smile:
Have to reply to St. Cross by the 29th April. I know I didn't get the Clarendon or AHRC. No word on the college Archaeology scholarship or other scholarships (not holding out hope). Should hear from Leicester late April/early May so I've emailed them too.

Should I call St. Cross next week?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1992
Still no college offer after 5 weeks! Is this normal? How long did it take all of you to hear from a college after being accepted to Ox? Did you get into your first or second preference?
Reply 1993
Original post by Ataelier
Still no college offer after 5 weeks! Is this normal? How long did it take all of you to hear from a college after being accepted to Ox? Did you get into your first or second preference?

Both times I've been through the process it took about six or seven weeks, I think. First time I didn't get my preference, was sent to a college 'cos my funding was tied to it; second time I got my first preference.
Reply 1994
Original post by Ataelier

I got into my 1st preference. Heard about 3 months after offer i think
How competitive is it to get into Merton for grad students?
Reply 1996
Original post by parlanvin

I don't know about Merton specifically, but I expect it depends on subject (the college will like to have a range of subjects) and will vary from year to year. As you probably know, you are accepted by a department not a college initially. If the department gives you a place, you are guaranteed a place at a college, although it might not be your first choice. But you'll get the same education whichever college you go to :smile:
Reply 1997
Original post by parlanvin

From what I heard, Merton is quite popular since it offers many scholarships, is traditional, has gowned formal halls quite often, the graduate accommodation is excellent... I know of someone who was rejected by Merton, and obtained AHRC later on.
No one from India in Clarendon this year?
Reply 1999
Original post by larmic
I got into my 1st preference. Heard about 3 months after offer i think

Three months...? At least that makes me feel better about the radio silence regarding my college offer. Which deadline did you apply within, perchance?

I sent mine in two months ago. Fingers crossed I hear back soon, I suppose. x3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending