The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford postgraduate applicants 2014/15

Well with the Cambridge thread already a healthy four pages long and with applications opening Sept/Oct I decided to open up the 2013/2014 thread for Oxford.

What are you applying for, which colleges, etc. Ask away!

Shamelessly bump, does anyone know of any of the more traditional colleges that house postgraduates in college in traditional rooms?
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am thinking to apply For MSc Financial Economics.

What do you think about taking a GMAT? how long dodo you prepare or planing to prepare? Do you find it difficult? Which sections?

What do you think is the main selection criteria starting with the most important to the least?

To me the hardsest sections are Data sufficiency, Integrated reasoning and verbal critical reasoning!

Who is actually doing GMAT or GRE? To support their application for those courses above?

Does anyone know if Oxford have ever accepted a student with a minimum recquerement say 2.1 but fir this course it is 1st i think?

Selection Criteria: My opinion, Grades, References, Personal statement( Of witch the rason for applying for this course, how it will help achive future goals, motivation etc)
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Applying for the Mst in Modern European History, and am hoping for Wadham! If anyone feels like submitting previous personal statements etc (for inspiration) then that would be useful... :P
Reply 3
Original post by HistoryHistory
Applying for the Mst in Modern European History, and am hoping for Wadham! If anyone feels like submitting previous personal statements etc (for inspiration) then that would be useful... :P

Out of curiousity why Wadham?

I've narrowed mine down to Exeter, Magdalen, New, and Trinity. With Trinity then Magdalen being my current favourites...
Reply 4
Has anyone attended or read for the PgDip / MSt in Diplomatic Studies through Oxford's Foreign Service Programme?
Original post by PossibleMPP
Out of curiousity why Wadham?

I've narrowed mine down to Exeter, Magdalen, New, and Trinity. With Trinity then Magdalen being my current favourites...

I think because it has a left wing, liberal influence, whilst still being a very old, beautiful college.

Also, I'm terrified of applying to the more popular colleges and ending up
at somewhere modern and exclusively pgrad (although I accept there're benefits to such things).

What's the thought behind your options? - although they are all beautiful colleges for sure! - However I am at Exeter University now and if I were to attended Exeter College Oxford it would all look rather confusing on my CV

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by HistoryHistory
I think because it has a left wing, liberal influence, whilst still being a very old, beautiful college.

Also, I'm terrified of applying to the more popular colleges and ending up
at somewhere modern and exclusively pgrad (although I accept there're benefits to such things).

What's the thought behind your options? - although they are all beautiful colleges for sure! - However I am at Exeter University now and if I were to attended Exeter College Oxford it would all look rather confusing on my CV

My course is offered at about twenty colleges. I didn't want to be at a postgraduate only college, so I took those off the list. Second, I wanted a traditional college, with regular formal halls, great architecture, and of course older.

That got me down to the four I listed above. Trinity appeals to me due to the chance (albeit only for 20 out of like 180 PGs) to actually live in traditional rooms IN college. Magdalene offers PG housing in a lovely house and setting called Holywell Ford. And both I must say are stunningly beautiful.
My course is offered at about twenty colleges. I didn't want to be at a postgraduate only college, so I took those off the list. Second, I wanted a traditional college, with regular formal halls, great architecture, and of course older.

That got me down to the four I listed above. Trinity appeals to me due to the chance (albeit only for 20 out of like 180 PGs) to actually live in traditional rooms IN college. Magdalene offers PG housing in a lovely house and setting called Holywell Ford. And both I must say are stunningly beautiful.

Agreed! So where are you now, and how is it going? If I may ask!

Reply 8
Going well. I'm presently working in the 'States and my firm has offered to pay my salary and $10k for me to go do a full-time master's, so it is a great opportunity to say the least! Debating between it and doing the part-time MSt in IR at Cambridge.

What about yourself?
Going well. I'm presently working in the 'States and my firm has offered to pay my salary and $10k for me to go do a full-time master's, so it is a great opportunity to say the least! Debating between it and doing the part-time MSt in IR at Cambridge.

What about yourself?

Excellent! Fantastic opportunity. I am but a mere undergraduate!
Reply 10
Good to see I'm not the only one thinking about it this early! I'm applying for the MSt in Musicology, and I'm currently an undergrad at Oxford. Debating at the moment whether to apply to stay at my current college, or take the opportunity to try out somewhere else! Not that I don't like where I am at the moment, but I really quite like the look of Wadham (for the same reasons as HistoryHistory above: left-wing/liberal atmosphere but still housed in old, traditional buildings, and seems like a really friendly, sociable place); they don't offer undergrad Music, otherwise I might have applied there then, but do take postgrads.

Shamelessly bump, does anyone know of any of the more traditional colleges that house postgraduates in college in traditional rooms?

I know Merton definitely does, and don't quote me on it but Magdalen, New and Christ Church have enough old-school Oxford rooms on site that I'm fairly sure some of them will be available to graduates. St John's, where I am at the moment, tends to only have undergrads living in the oldest quads, but owns several rather palatial 18th-century houses nearby where grads tend to go and which by all accounts have very attractive rooms with fireplaces, wood panelling etc.!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by BigOther
Good to see I'm not the only one thinking about it this early! I'm applying for the MSt in Musicology, and I'm currently an undergrad at Oxford. Debating at the moment whether to apply to stay at my current college, or take the opportunity to try out somewhere else! Not that I don't like where I am at the moment, but I really quite like the look of Wadham (for the same reasons as HistoryHistory above: left-wing/liberal atmosphere but still housed in old, traditional buildings, and seems like a really friendly, sociable place); they don't offer undergrad Music, otherwise I might have applied there then, but do take postgrads.

I know Merton definitely does, and don't quote me on it but Magdalen, New and Christ Church have enough old-school Oxford rooms on site that I'm fairly sure some of them will be available to graduates. St John's, where I am at the moment, tends to only have undergrads living in the oldest quads, but owns several rather palatial 18th-century houses nearby where grads tend to go and which by all accounts have very attractive rooms with fireplaces, wood panelling etc.!

Madgalen sadly does not nor does New (though Magdalen does have Holly Ford which has some positively gorgeous rooms). Christ Church does I believe but alas they do not offer my course, it and Oriel would have been my top choices had either offered my course! And neither St John's nor Merton offer my course either. I have just heard that Hertford will be offering my course now this year and loved it when I was visiting a friend there, though sadly it doesn't offer graduate housing in college either. Though as I have always loved Waugh I must admit it is an alluring prospect to attend the same college (is that a terrible reason to look at a college? Ha ha)!
Reply 12
And Teddy Hall is evidently also offering my course new this year. And my decision gets more difficult ha ha!

Anyone have any pros or cons beyond the basics of these (Trinity, Magdalen, Hertford, Teddy Hall, New)
Reply 13
Hey guys!

Maybe someone can help me with my 'mark transfer'-problem. I'll graduate from Med School this year and I intend to apply for a

PhD in immunology or neuroscience. I've read that in the UK there are no marks at Med School only Pass and Fail. Does anyone

know if this is true? And if it's true, how will they treat my marks? My lecturers said that I shouldn't apply because I won't stand

a chance. What do you guys think? I'm thankful for any input! :-)
Original post by BigOther

Christ church does not house graduates in the old traditional buildings on site. They are housed right across the main site but they are new, all the on site accommodation is for undergraduates.
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm apply for MSc Criminology, and thinking about applying for the BCL, and my college choice is currently between Oriel, Corpus and Merton.
Reply 16
Hello! I'm applying for the MSt in Medieval History! I'm stuck between Merton, Worcester and Oriel!
Hey! i'm applying for Mathematics & Foundations of Computer Science (MSc). I really have no idea which colleges I'm picking though :s
Reply 18
People might find this useful- a search engine that checks which colleges accept your course :smile:
http://www2.admin.ox.ac.uk/progstudy/
Did A level/baccalaureate results ought to be included on application forms/CVs? Frankly i'd prefer to hide mine...

Quick Reply