The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

What do you think is 'THE' course at UCL?

This may sound like a stupid Q but ill ask anyway(coz ppl over in lse forum r talking about it!)
What do you think is 'THE' course at UCL? as in which is its best.......any reasons? (im guessing ppl will say more than 1 so nm).
i suppose youd have to take into account.... popularity, entry standards(maybe), employability.... and so on.

Hamid

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Economics? Law? Perhaps ESPS bc it's pretty unusual a course. Basically, I don't know. Why do you ask?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
um yeah, best course, well, i dunno, just heard, well, you know, everyone says English.

seriously they do.
Reply 3
Hamid
This may sound like a stupid Q but ill ask anyway(coz ppl over in lse forum r talking about it!)
What do you think is 'THE' course at UCL? as in which is its best.......any reasons? (im guessing ppl will say more than 1 so nm).
i suppose youd have to take into account.... popularity, entry standards(maybe), employability.... and so on.

Hamid

Economics or Law
Reply 4
History of course! (No pun intended!) Though that is THE course at all universities:biggrin:
Economics, Law or Medicine.
Reply 6
Architecture: the Bartlett School, voted by the Architects Journal survey as the best in the UK.
Fine Art: the Slade School of Art, second to none in the UK.
English: one of UCL's best departments and excellent reputation
History of Art: second only to the Courtauld Institute of Art (Uni of London)
German: ranked either Top 1 or 2 in undergrad league tables
European languages and literatures in general: experts ranging from Icelandic to Slovanic
Psychology: largest in the UK
Archaeology: again, largest in the UK
Neurology: excellent reputation
. . .
pharmakos
Architecture: the Bartlett School, voted by the Architects Journal survey as the best in the UK.
Fine Art: the Slade School of Art, second to none in the UK.
English: one of UCL's best departments and excellent reputation
History of Art: second only to the Courtauld Institute of Art (Uni of London)
German: ranked either Top 1 or 2 in undergrad league tables
European languages and literatures in general: experts ranging from Icelandic to Slovanic
Psychology: largest in the UK
Archaeology: again, largest in the UK
Neurology: excellent reputation
. . .

The Bartlett also has a reputation losing a large number of students in the many years of the degree. In the region of a third or more.
Slade, English, HoA, Modern European languages... drops the ball on employment.
The Institute of Archaeology when it was independent used to lead the way. Not anymore. Competitors have stepped up and overshadowed. Plus, employment.
Psychology, good in the UK but psychology in general as a degree doesn't stand up to others. Neurology, much the same (along with being rather focused)
Reply 8
Economics, Law, English (First university to teach English Literature).
Reply 9
President_Ben
Modern European languages... drops the ball on employment.

Buggers!
Reply 10
... the OP did ask for *THE* course (read: one) ... :p:
Reply 11
It's difficult to isolate one course, UCL is renowned for a number of courses. But I'd say Law, English and Economics would definitely be 'up there'.
Reply 12
probably economics and statistics
Reply 13
Hehe, you're only saying that 'cos you're going to be doing that course. :P
Reply 14
Xanthe
Hehe, you're only saying that 'cos you're going to be doing that course. :P

:rofl:

Such is the nature of men. :p:
Reply 15
I go UCL and its definetly Economics, Law and maybe Medicine.........
Reply 16
Xanthe
Economics, Law, English (First university to teach English Literature).

The first chair of not only English Lit, but also of French, German, Hebrew, Italian, Egyptology, chemical engineering, chemistry, geography, papyrology and zoology.
Reply 17
President_Ben
The Bartlett also has a reputation losing a large number of students in the many years of the degree. In the region of a third or more.
Slade, English, HoA, Modern European languages... drops the ball on employment.
The Institute of Archaeology when it was independent used to lead the way. Not anymore. Competitors have stepped up and overshadowed. Plus, employment.
Psychology, good in the UK but psychology in general as a degree doesn't stand up to others. Neurology, much the same (along with being rather focused)

You're just pathetic. Sorry to say so, but apparently learning/knowledge is useless or insignificant to you unless it'd land you a job.
pharmakos
You're just pathetic. Sorry to say so, but apparently learning/knowledge is useless or insignificant to you unless it'd land you a job.

Hamid

I don't have competition statistics, but I suspect Law, Economics and Medicine are also the most competed for.
pharmakos
The first chair of not only English Lit, but also of French, German, Hebrew, Italian, Egyptology, chemical engineering, chemistry, geography, papyrology and zoology.

I think it was the first Economics department in the UK as well wasn't it?

Latest

Trending

Trending