The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Chemistry 2012-2013

Scroll to see replies

Can someone explain me when does a nucleophilic addition occur? Is it just when an aldehyde or a ketone reacts hydrogen cyanide to form cyanohydrins and that's it?
Original post by deedee123
Anyone doing an all nighter/staying up late?

You mad bro?
You'd bomb the exam
Original post by Chemistry Help
like what? 1s 2s 2p 3s 3p 3d 4s??

And for other atoms are 1s 2s 2p 3s 3p 4s 3d no?

Or the opposite? :confused:

What Deedee said
Sorry to be a nuisance, it'll be the last question I promise :colondollar:
2012q10.PNG
I understand that K = [NO]^2 [O2] / [NO2]^2 but no matter what I do I cannot fathom how they reach A as the answer. It's most likely a really silly mistake on my part (s'pose it comes with the territory of revising at ten before the exam :biggrin: )
If someone uploads the paper tomorrow, quote me and I'll (try to) do the answers. Not saying they'll all be correct - if you spot a mistake in them, let me know and we'll sort it. :smile:
Original post by I am Ace
You mad bro?
You'd bomb the exam

What Deedee said

I'm not, i just noticed people were still on this thread at like 3am (much to their anger obviously after my negging :zomg:)
Original post by clivethestickman
Sorry to be a nuisance, it'll be the last question I promise :colondollar:
2012q10.PNG
I understand that K = [NO]^2 [O2] / [NO2]^2 but no matter what I do I cannot fathom how they reach A as the answer. It's most likely a really silly mistake on my part (s'pose it comes with the territory of revising at ten before the exam :biggrin: )

I can't make sense of this either
Original post by GermanScientist
If someone uploads the paper tomorrow, quote me and I'll (try to) do the answers. Not saying they'll all be correct - if you spot a mistake in them, let me know and we'll sort it. :smile:

can you take chemistry papers home? I can't remember for sure but i think you might write on the question booklet :frown:
Can anyone help explain to me why the answer is D and not B (I thought Cr would have less d-orbital electrons and therefore less likely to split the d-orbital and therefore less likely to be coloured)
colour transition metal.png
Original post by Amiro123
Can anyone help explain to me why the answer is D and not B (I thought Cr would have less d-orbital electrons and therefore less likely to split the d-orbital and therefore less likely to be coloured)

Haven't really looked at it, but it's probably something to do with Chromium not following the Aufbau

i.e it doesn't fill the 4s first and hence doesn't lose those elctrons first
Original post by deedee123
I'm not, i just noticed people were still on this thread at like 3am (much to their anger obviously after my negging :zomg:)

Uhm yeah but not before the day of the exam lol..

ahh thankyou so much! you've been a massive help these past few days

No, D has a full 3d subshell so the electrons cant have d->d transitions, so no colour
Haven't really looked at it, but it's probably something to do with Chromium not following the Aufbau

i.e it doesn't fill the 4s first and hence doesn't lose those elctrons first

Check the d orbitals I think

That would be awesome! If I can, I'll take the paper home tomorrow and upload it :smile:
Aaah, I really hope the exam goes well!
When does nucleophilic addition occur?
You mad bro?
You'd bomb the exam

What Deedee said

Proof: I involuntarily done this for Higher Physics. I think I bombed that pretty hard.

Doesn't Zn2+ have a full 3d shell and you need an incomplete d shell to be coloured?

i think this thread is MWI, the comments are all scrambled :lol:
(edited 10 years ago)
The only thing i'm worried is that I don't know what is d-d spilitting :frown:(((
Reply 1798
Might sit down with 878640304859503 from the Biology thread and scratch up some solutions after as well, he's quite good at uploading them.
I can't make sense of this either

Conc. Of NO = 2. Conc. Of O = 1. Conc. of NO2 at eq= 8-2 = 6.

now plug and play baby

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending