O.C.R R.E 179/200
1 ums mark off an a*.

AQA English literature: 178/200
2 ums marks off an a*.

Should I get them remarked?

Scroll to see replies

No, **** happens..
Reply 2
Yes, I'm also in the same situation where 3 of my subjects are off an A* by a few UMS. You may as well.
English and RE could change, maths and chemistry are less likely to change. I would recommend remarking English and RE but would think harder for maths and chemistry. Picking up 3 raw marks in maths from a remarking would be remarkable ;D
Reply 4
If you have the Money, money, money!
Reply 5
Do the grades go up, or do the examiners mark it harshly because their fellow examiner must have given a low mark..
Reply 6
Original post by star10159
If you have the Money, money, money!

I have the "Money, money, money" but don't wanna waste it..
Reply 7
All I can say is that I'm not sure about getting Maths remarked. A few of my friends got theirs remarked a while back and their marks stayed the same. :/
Reply 8
Original post by bazinga786
Do the grades go up, or do the examiners mark it harshly because their fellow examiner must have given a low mark..

The grade will only go up if your UMS goes up, if that doesn't go down or stay the same (which it is just as likely to do).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by TheIrrational
English and RE could change, maths and chemistry are less likely to change. I would recommend remarking English and RE but would think harder for maths and chemistry. Picking up 3 raw marks in maths from a remarking would be remarkable ;D

But there is hope, right? Maybe the examiner didn't give me working out marks, or maybe... , or maybe..... :tongue:
Reply 10
Get a couple remarked, as if it does your way you'll be re-imbursed. Definitely worth it, especially if you're planning on applying for a really competitive course or uni :yep:
Reply 11
I wouldn't. There's always a chance your mark could go down.

Do you intend to go to university? Unless you plan to apply to a uni/course which has specific GCSE requirements, I'd just be happy with A's.
Reply 12
I'd get the English Lit and RE remarked, they are the closest to the boundaries as well as being fairly subjective, unlike maths.

I'm thinking of getting my French oral remarked, I got full UMS in both papers, and I'm only two marks off an A*. I'm also waiting to get the breakdown of my Drama marks next week, as I got a B and if it is close, I will have the paper remarked, (unless my written paper was quite high anyway, I can't get the coursework remarked).
Reply 13
Going to get all of them remarked.. hopefully my school would be generous and pay for a couple :tongue:
If not then my dad's going to pay for it so its cool.. worth a try..
P.S Thinking of doing Economics at LSE or a similar course at Oxbridge.. :smile:
Also got 2 a* and 7a as of now.
Reply 14
Wouldn't bother with maths and science. If they're right, they're right. If they're wrong, they're wrong.
Reply 15
Can controlled assessments be remarked?
If you want more A*s, go for it :smile:
Personally, i would just get them all remarked as they're very close to an A* and your going to need to lose a lot of marks to drop down to a B. So what i'm trying to say is that you have really solid A grades and the chances of them dropping to B grades are slim (but possible). Also, if the grades do change (i think go up) then you will get a refund from the exam board. If you have the money, then i would just go for it. But then again it depends on how much those A*s really mean to you. So it's all up to you...

If you do decide to go for the remarks i wish the best of luck and hope i've helped :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Thomas_96
Can controlled assessments be remarked?

I think they can for english but they are marked by your teacher and then moderated by the examiner so its not worth it I think... Unless you were marked down by a lot of marks then yeah..
Original post by bazinga786
Breakdown:

Edexcel Chemistry 358/400
2 ums marks off an a*.

Edexcel Mathematics linear: 161/200
3 raw marks off an a*.

O.C.R R.E 179/200
1 ums mark off an a*.

AQA English literature: 178/200
2 ums marks off an a*.

Should I get them remarked?

I'm in a similar position, I got 178/200 UMS in edexcel PE (2 raw marks off), 357/400 in edexcel biology (2 raw marks off) and 178/200 in statistics (3 raw marks off). I'm definitely going to do biology and PE - you have little chance of going down so little to lose

Quick Reply

Latest